Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z51 (13.4" / 13") Rotor Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:05 AM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Z51 (13.4" / 13") Rotor Suggestions?

Hi all, what replacement rotors do you recommend for my '07 C6 base w/ Z51 brakes? I was hunting for Brembo blanks but they don't apparently come in this size. There doesn't seem to be a lot of options in this size (unless I'm searching wrong).

I'm going to use them for road racing ~4 times per year and plan to use my stock (drilled) rotors for the street. From what I've repeatedly read, going with blanks and just swapping them when they warp/crack is the most effective way to get performance / cost out of them.

Thanks!
Dan
Old 10-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Check out the DBA rotors offered by KNSbrakes.com Good prices and they last.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:11 PM
starkynuke
Advanced

Has anybody had any experience with the Centric blanks for the Z51? I've been tracking on my AC Delco factory set for a year now and they're holding up, but I'm thinking I'm driving on borrowed time. Trying to see what my options are for that size. I think my last set of AC's cost me $380. Anything closer to $300 that's effective?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:25 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by starkynuke
Has anybody had any experience with the Centric blanks for the Z51?
As with anything else in this sport it depends heavily on your driving. When I started back in June, I got about 6 days out of a set of Centrics up front. Now they won't even make it to lunch. I went to a Wilwood 2 piece in the front and they are awesome so far, but $600/set. You can buy slotted cryo treated rotors on Ebay for around $200 but I haven't tried them. I was getting about a weekend out of cryo treated centric rotors ($100/set) but it's very hard to find them in cryo. I have also heard good things about DBA.

For the rears I've been using Wearever cheaps from Advance Auto, but since shutting off the ABS I seem to be going through them like crazy, maybe a day and a half or 2 if I'm lucky. Not sure what I'm going to put back there yet.

Last edited by moespeeds; 11-02-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Check out the DBA rotors offered by KNSbrakes.com Good prices and they last.

5000 series front & 4000 rear
Old 11-02-2012, 11:34 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
As with anything else in this sport it depends heavily on your driving. When I started back in June, I got about 6 days out of a set of Centrics up front. Now they won't even make it to lunch. I went to a Wilwood 2 piece in the front and they are awesome so far, but $600/set. You can buy slotted cryo treated rotors on Ebay for around $200 but I haven't tried them. I was getting about a weekend out of cryo treated centric rotors ($100/set) but it's very hard to find them in cryo. I have also heard good things about DBA.

For the rears I've been using Wearever cheaps from Advance Auto, but since shutting off the ABS I seem to be going through them like crazy, maybe a day and a half or 2 if I'm lucky. Not sure what I'm going to put back there yet.
Can you expound a bit on the pads and tires you run etc?

We stock the Centric High Carbon rotor (125.62086/62096) but I am not exactly sure where that product stacks up as compared to the cheaper ones (wearever etc) and more expensive ones (DBA)

I have not stocked the cryo ones due to lack of demand (and I have to order ahead of time). I'd be interested in that product as well.

-Ken
Old 11-02-2012, 11:47 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Ken I'm running Continental GTO slicks and Wilwood H compound pads. VIR full 2:17, NJMP TB 1:34, Summit Point Main 1:27. BTW I don't think I was using the high carbon centrics. I was getting them from Rock Auto, around $25 per corner.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:52 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
Ken I'm running Continental GTO slicks and Wilwood H compound pads. VIR full 2:17, NJMP TB 1:34, Summit Point Main 1:27. BTW I don't think I was using the high carbon centrics. I was getting them from Rock Auto, around $25 per corner.

I assume RA sells the 121.62086/62096 - that's the 'value line'

Great info though - thank you.

You should consider the 125 series if you are breaking rotors left/right. They are DEFINITELY not just painted cheap ones - the casting tooling and material is certainly different. I'm not sure how much that might net you but one set is worth an experiment.

I've been running those tires as well although one is a GT - one is a GT-O. (18" C5Z square setup)
Old 11-02-2012, 01:04 PM
starkynuke
Advanced

Originally Posted by ErnieN85

5000 series front & 4000 rear
Apparently I didn't stress the budget enough. In my little world, those products are prohibitively expensive.

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
Can you expound a bit on the pads and tires you run etc?
I've been running Continental GT-O and GT-R scrubs with Hawk DTC-60 pads on my AC Delco rotors with nothing more than the typical fissures. I'm very happy with how they've performed and am just looking to see if there are any competitive blank/slotted rotors available.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:23 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by DannyBoyC6
Hi all, what replacement rotors do you recommend for my '07 C6 base w/ Z51 brakes? I was hunting for Brembo blanks but they don't apparently come in this size. There doesn't seem to be a lot of options in this size (unless I'm searching wrong).

I'm going to use them for road racing ~4 times per year and plan to use my stock (drilled) rotors for the street. From what I've repeatedly read, going with blanks and just swapping them when they warp/crack is the most effective way to get performance / cost out of them.

Thanks!
Dan
I've got a bunch of DBA 4000 fronts (1 set brand new, 2 or 3 used) and a used set of DBA 4000 rears that will be available next week. I've been very happy with the DBA rotors as they have stood up to everything I've thrown at them (smeared Carbotech XP10's, overheated and bend XP-20's) and they still hold on.

For the price they are a great option, you should consider them.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:38 AM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

r u useing the brakes too much? I run about 18 months per set of rotors...stock on a 2008 z51 slotted rotors.. i mvoe the car about 1 minute after parking, run once a month, polish the rotors when i add a new set of pads( which last about 6-8 days depending on the number of hairpins after a straightaway [eagles canyon, tx])...maybe i dont brake enough.lol
Old 11-03-2012, 12:24 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by DRUGschnorr
r u useing the brakes too much? I run about 18 months per set of rotors...stock on a 2008 z51 slotted rotors.. i mvoe the car about 1 minute after parking, run once a month, polish the rotors when i add a new set of pads( which last about 6-8 days depending on the number of hairpins after a straightaway [eagles canyon, tx])...maybe i dont brake enough.lol
My pads will last me 3-4 track days. I've been told I'm a bit aggressive on the track, lol!
Old 11-03-2012, 05:34 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

I'm still a pretty new driver so I'm sure I'm over braking. One thing I do for sure is brake earlier, but not as hard so I'm dragging them longer. Not sure how that affects everything.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z51 (13.4" / 13") Rotor Suggestions?

Quick Reply: C6 Z51 (13.4" / 13") Rotor Suggestions?