Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Need Help With Safety Gear For Street & Track

Old 10-13-2012, 10:22 AM
George33
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default I Need Help With Safety Gear For Street & Track

I'm an experienced driver on the track and need some help and advice with safety equipment.

I'm getting into a new Z06 that will be used on the street as well as the track and was wondering
what you guys are running in your C6 Vettes as far as safety equipment ?

Namely . . . Harness belts, roll bar, harness bar, race seats, etc. ? ? ?

I'd prefer a roll bar to attach them to, but haven't found an easy roll bar to install in the C6 that
doesn't require welding or buggers up the rear area in a new car.

Also, I need advice for a streetable seat with pass-throughs, since race seats are not an option
on a new car that will also be used on the street, especially with the Mrs.

This is still a street car and occaisional serious track car, so I'm looking for something that will
give me a safe but clean installation.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

*crickets*

Honestly, compromises never come cheaply, and they still end up being compromises. So this is what I would do:
Get a bolt in harness bar.
Get a real race seat, rails, and 6pt belts.
Swap the seat out when you go the track. The first time will be a big PITA, after a couple times it won't be that bad.
Wear a good helmet, HANS, and firesuit on track. Every time.

These cars go stupid fast, physics doesn't care if it's a "street car". Your wife won't mind that you spend money on safety equipment. If she does we can show her a few videos explaining why she wants you to have it.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:40 PM
George33
Pro

Aside from the bolt-in harness bar, are there any less obtrusive bolt-in roll bars that could be suggested?

I don't really want to be swapping seats out each time I go to the track. I'd rather swap them out once and
be done with it.

I can't believe there aren't any street/track seats that can be installed in the Z06.

The Porsche guys have the ideal set-up with the GT3 seats. Comfort AND pass-throughs for your harness belts (!)

Last edited by George33; 10-13-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:39 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I would start with a Hardbar harness bar....only 7-8lbs.
If you want race/street seats, look into Caravaggio....expensive, but worth it.
6pt harness and all the driver safety items you can afford...firesuit, head and neck restraint, good helmet.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The GT3 seats fit just fine in your C6. The only downside is the cost.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:27 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A harness bar doesn't pass inspection with some events especially with the stock seats. You can only use a 4 point harness with the stock seats which doesn't pass most sanctioned events with the exception of the casual lap day or DE. You need a pass thru so you can add a sub-belt.

If you are going to add a 5 or 6 point harness with new seats, I would suggest you try to find more than just a simple harness bar. I believe other members like Mikymu and Werks have found a better solution than a harness bar so shoot them a PM.

Also, check out the Carvaggio Seats as they look fairly dual purpose for track and street.

http://www.caravaggiocorvettes.com/p...ther_Seats.pdf
Old 10-14-2012, 08:06 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I am using the Caravaggio GT seats, BK harness bar, hardbar lap belt mounts and scroth belts in my C6.

Not a cheap set up and still not a race seat. It is better than stock but flexes a lot more than a race seat on a fixed mount. If you will do HPDEs more than a few times a year, I would look for a good seat and fixed mount to swap in for track days. I believe you can mount the sub belt and lap belts to the seat mount so it all comes out together. I may undo my stuff and go to this.

Don't forget you may need to deal with airbag lights, plugs, etc. passenger seat is a bit more complicated with the occupant sensor.

I have not really seen options other than the harness bars and personally like the BK bar. I would be interested to see what you get from the post above, maybe there is some good stuff there. Please share.

Some searches should turn up lots of stuff.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:45 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
*crickets*

Honestly, compromises never come cheaply, and they still end up being compromises. So this is what I would do:
Get a bolt in harness bar.
Get a real race seat, rails, and 6pt belts.
Swap the seat out when you go the track. The first time will be a big PITA, after a couple times it won't be that bad.
Wear a good helmet, HANS, and firesuit on track. Every time.

These cars go stupid fast, physics doesn't care if it's a "street car". Your wife won't mind that you spend money on safety equipment. If she does we can show her a few videos explaining why she wants you to have it.
bolt roll bar for the C6Z aluminum frame is NOT a good idea, even if one does exist.
So harness bar.

Fabric / Nomex seats, not leather at all. Leather is too hot, slides and is not fire retardant.

6 point belt, and HANS compatible.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:00 PM
George33
Pro

A race seat is the ideal... for a track car. However, I'd rather not have that type seat for a car that will also be used on the street.

The Caravaggio seat looks good, but is rather pricey. Does anyone else make a similar type of seat?

AU N EGL -
In your post, do I understand you to prefer the harness bar?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2012, 02:18 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Do some searches for Arizen. I think they have similar seats, but not sure if they are any cheaper. I believe they have some installers around the US so you can probably get some advice from them.

What AU N EGL is probably saying, is that the Z06 has an aluminum frame so a bolt in roll bar is not really ideal. To do a roll bar or cage, they really need to weld in some additional steel support. Some may debate this, but most will say that bolting a rollbar to the aluminum frame is not going to give you the protection you think you are getting. If you had a GS with a steel frame, the answer may be different.

The harness bars bolt to the seat belt anchors and most agree will be sufficient to hold you in, but give no rollover protection.

You are entering an area where there are many debates, and people feel strongly about their point of view. I went through the same thing with my C6Z and decided that the most likely impact will be front or side in which case a helmet, 6 pt harness, proper seat, hans, and BK harness bar were best for me. In the unlikely event of a rollover, I am hoping the halo is sufficient, but I accept that if I have a high speed roll over, and the halo does not hold, I will probably die, or worse.... I think the probability of this is low.

I accept this, but you need to decide what you are comforable with.

Now with this said, as I am now up to about 20 HPDEs this year, I am having a C5z caged as my odds of something happening are increasing.

Now someone will post up a picture of a red Z06 that rolled over a few years back just to show it can happen.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:07 PM
George33
Pro

Who are some discount sellers of the Caravaggio seats ??
Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

I have the Caravaggio race seats in my Z06. They are pretty flimsy and needed a seat back brace bolted through the seat and attached to the harness bar. Upper seat back movement without the brace was crazy.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:23 PM
George33
Pro

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
I have the Caravaggio race seats in my Z06. They are pretty flimsy and needed a seat back brace bolted through the seat and attached to the harness bar. Upper seat back movement without the brace was crazy.
How tall are you, height & weight ?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

6'1 185. I have just enough headroom with the helmet on.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Cheap, easy, effective.
You only get to pick two.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

2 GTOs is correct. The "roll cage" is always the best option. a "roll bar" is almost useless, as it is the corvette A-piller that not that strong. Plus the roll bar does not have NASCAR door bars for side impact.

the cost to put a roll cage into a Z with the aluminum frame is very very expensive ( $12K to $15K ) and removes the normal street use.

This is also way many C6Z owners also have a C5Z with a roll cage in for track use.

Remember the consumables and other items:

any car that is tracked even a few times a year, has quite a bit of upkeep.

tires, brake pads and rotors, and in the learning process, many guys rip off a few splitters too. ( I have cracked body panels in my basement )
constant oil changes, trans and gear box fluid every few weekends.

Pick up truck and trailer. upkeep

many insurance companies do not cover you car on track.

in short, put ins some nice seats, a harness bar and 6 point bets for occasional, a few times a year to the track. If you are going to get into the track once a month or more, a dedicated race car may be a better option for safety.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 10-15-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:43 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

The only way to get Caravaggio seat at a good price is to find them on the forum used! They do hold up well and are usually in good shape. As mentioned, check on the Arizen seats! They do a pretty good job. Also look at the Sparco Evo seats, many of us run them for street and track if you don't mind the confinement. JD

Get notified of new replies

To I Need Help With Safety Gear For Street & Track

Old 10-16-2012, 02:40 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sparcos, Recaros and OMP seats are always a good alternative and far less expensive than the Carvaggios. But, they don't look quite as nice or as functional.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:40 AM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For track days I swap in a Sparco Evo on Arizen slider rails. It takes about 8 minutes. And I have mine setup to use the OEM 3 pt seat belts. To do that I attached an OEM belt receptacle to the seat frame. Works great.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with caravaggio seats. they use the stock seat tracks. pretty easy install. Look great and are very functional. The bar I used was a brey-krause. its DOT tested and is what the corvette team uses when they go to the ring. just what I did.

Here's a link to my build.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...z06-build.html

Last edited by cruzin2; 10-19-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I Need Help With Safety Gear For Street & Track