Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions Needed on Ordering Z06 With The Z07 Package ( ? )

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:43 AM
George33
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Opinions Needed on Ordering Z06 With The Z07 Package ( ? )

I'm ready to place an order a new Z06 Corvette and am considering the Z07 Ultimate Performance Package.
I'm not really interested so much in the Carbon Fiber Package, but that's the way Chevy has it set up. . .
you "must" get the Carbon Fiber Package if you order the Z07 Package. All together it's about $11K.

The main reason I'm interested in the Z07 Package is for the fantastic brakes. I've heard these
things have tremendous stopping power on the track.

This Z06 will be primarily a street car, but I have considerable seat time and track experience with other
track cars. I don't have a dedicated track car anymore, so it has to do double-duty as a serious track car, too.
I know the importance of good brakes at the track. (I put 6-piston Stop-Tech's on my last track car & they worked great.)

Does anyone have knowledge or experience they can share about this package and these brakes ?
I need some advice 'cause I'm ready to order.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by George33; 10-13-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Absolutely worth the money. The extra cash over the quite a bit you're already spending gets you the outstanding brakes and the mag suspension which is awesome too. If you like track events you'll want the package.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

the carbon/ceramic brakes are OK. Not great as ppl would like them to be. Expensive to replace. Light wt with light wt wheels and great Mich tires.

All cars tracked have consumable items. Tires and brake pads and rotors are the big ones.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Tom - you could do better getting a standard Z06 and putting on real racing caliber brakes. You should take a look at Gary's T1 kit (Hardbar) or any of several other variations he and Jeff are putting together. The cost of the consumables for these brakes is really very affordable, especially when you consider the performance they are offering. I can't believe the lack of rotor wear on my own T1 rotors - they are simply incredible.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:21 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

I have a fair bit of experience tracking my ZR1 with the same brake setup as your proposed Z06 will have. Cory (QUIKAG) does as well. For what it's worth, you should really lay more weight on the opinions of those of us with lots of experience with the systems vs. those of us without...

Originally Posted by George33
The main reason I'm interested in the Z07 Package is for the fantastic brakes. I've heard these things have tremendous stopping power on the track.

This Z06 will be primarily a street car, but I have considerable seat time and track experience with other track cars.
Since you're primarily going to use this car for the street with some amount of track time, the CC brakes just can't be beat. The consumables are expensive, but worth it when you realize that you can take an OEM pad and use it both in ice cold conditions on the road AND blazing hot conditions on the track. There are no racing pads or otherwise aftermarket pads that you can do that with. Assuming, of course, you follow the instructions in the owner's manual and properly burnish the pads.

Further, the CC rotors are, of course, ridiculously light. As in pick-it-up-with-your-pinky light. And they can deal with heat loads, repeatedly, that iron rotors would have a lot of trouble with (Whether you hit those heat loads or not is another story entirely...) Reducing rotational unsprung weight is never a bad thing. Also, CC rotors don't need to have pad material bedded into them. In fact, if you do somehow transfer pad material into the rotor's surface, you've destroyed the rotor. This means that, other than burnishing the pads (which is a pretty hefty amount of work), you never have to worry about material transfer between pad and rotor.

If you have more questions about them, feel free to ask.

jas
Old 10-14-2012, 11:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

or buy a Race ready C6T1 car from Phoenix Performance.

http://www.phoenixperformance.net/ph...S2_T-1_Racecar

Last edited by AU N EGL; 10-14-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:05 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

A ZR1 owner posted up that he got 73 track sessions out of his CC rotors. Normal rotors don't last a third of that. I think the cost actually evens out especially if you are using 2 piece rotors.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:10 PM
George33
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is an error in my price calculation of the Z07 Ultimate Performance Package in my opening post.
It is not $11,000... as stated above.

Speaking with a dealer, the real cost of the Z07 package for a Z06 is really much higher than the initial
$7,500 price may seem, because other "packages" must be ordered along with the Z07 package in order to get it.

So, the base Z07 Ultimate Performance Package is $7,500
Plus, you must order the CFZ Carbon Fiber Package @ $3,995
Plus, you must order the F55 Magnetic Select Ride @ $2,495

So altogether the real cost of the Z07 Package comes in at $14,290.

Now, this is beginning to put a whole different spin on things, and I don't think it's worth it just for the brakes.

I may just have to consider an aftermarket BBK brake upgrade.

Last edited by George33; 10-14-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-14-2012, 05:04 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
I have a fair bit of experience tracking my ZR1 with the same brake setup as your proposed Z06 will have. Cory (QUIKAG) does as well. For what it's worth, you should really lay more weight on the opinions of those of us with lots of experience with the systems vs. those of us without...

Since you're primarily going to use this car for the street with some amount of track time, the CC brakes just can't be beat. The consumables are expensive, but worth it when you realize that you can take an OEM pad and use it both in ice cold conditions on the road AND blazing hot conditions on the track. There are no racing pads or otherwise aftermarket pads that you can do that with. Assuming, of course, you follow the instructions in the owner's manual and properly burnish the pads.

Further, the CC rotors are, of course, ridiculously light. As in pick-it-up-with-your-pinky light. And they can deal with heat loads, repeatedly, that iron rotors would have a lot of trouble with (Whether you hit those heat loads or not is another story entirely...) Reducing rotational unsprung weight is never a bad thing. Also, CC rotors don't need to have pad material bedded into them. In fact, if you do somehow transfer pad material into the rotor's surface, you've destroyed the rotor. This means that, other than burnishing the pads (which is a pretty hefty amount of work), you never have to worry about material transfer between pad and rotor.

If you have more questions about them, feel free to ask.

jas
I think it's awesome that you have the "option" to order them.
The problem is that despite the above comment not many people have much real long-term experience with CC brakes on Corvettes and I would say you might want to price out the replacement parts before making the decision. I've talked to several race shops about these and while they are unquestionably awesome state of the art brake technology, the replacement cost makes them impractical for routine track use unless money is no object in which case I'd buy the same brakes attached to a Ferrari. If you're only tracking once or twice a year then go for it. If it's me I'm going with cheapest option from the factory, and replacing them with a set of Brembo's.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:32 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
I've talked to several race shops about these
No offense, but I can guarantee that those "several race shops" haven't got any (or much) experience with the braking system in question. I'm not a betting man, but I'll put money on that claim.

I do know of one race shop that does have lots of experience with them. They're a little shop in Texas and a few of their employees are regulars here...

the replacement cost makes them impractical for routine track use
Odd. I'm still on my original set of rotors after 3 summers of track abuse. Third set of OEM pads though. It hasn't really been terribly expensive.

How much experience do you have with them?

jas
Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

JimBeau, you do know the CC Corvette brakes are basically Enzo front and FXX rear brakes right? So, saying you'd rather have Ferrari brakes is actually meaningless.

I got 9 track days and 5k street miles out of my first set of pads on my ZR1. Replacement cost was about a grand in parts and I swapped them myself in less than an hour. I was getting two track days with Hawk track pads and about 3 track days on Carbotechs with my prior '08 Z51 LS3 Vette. Doing the math and the CC brakes are fairly price competitive not counting original purchase price.

I run my Vettes hard at the track and I've been very happy with the capabilities of the CC brakes.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:30 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke with an owner of a Z06/Z07 recently, and his pads were down to about 1/2 after ~10 track days, running ~2:01 at THill (no bypass). Seems to me that it's a very impressive setup.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

There is an error in my price calculation of the Z07 Ultimate Performance Package in my opening post.
It is not $11,000... as stated above.

Speaking with a dealer, the real cost of the Z07 package for a Z06 is really much higher than the initial
$7,500 price may seem, because other "packages" must be ordered along with the Z07 package in order to get it.

So, the base Z07 Ultimate Performance Package is $7,500
Plus, you must order the CFZ Carbon Fiber Package @ $3,995
Plus, you must order the F55 Magnetic Select Ride @ $2,495

So altogether the real cost of the Z07 Package comes in at $14,290.

Now, this is beginning to put a whole different spin on things, and I don't think it's worth it just for the brakes.

I may just have to consider an aftermarket BBK brake upgrade.

At that point you may as well buy a base ZR1. A bbk is going to cost your roughly 6k.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

......This Z06 will be primarily a street car...... I don't have a dedicated track car anymore, so it has to do double-duty as a serious track car, too.....
How much tracking do you plan to do???

Are you talking about competitive events like TT or club racing??? If so, then maybe you need to go with a real racing brake setup.

If you're talking about 3 or 4 HPDE type events per year, the stock Z06 brakes will do a great job for you. You do know they are a monobloc caliper with 6 pistons on each front and 4 on each rear caliper, right???

If you're just talking about going to the track for fun a few weekends a year, the stock brakes with an aggressive track pad will stop you really well!!!!

If you're gonna thrash the car at the track on R-compounds every weekend, then get a racing brake package.

I run the stock calipers and had Hawk DTC70 pads in for the track this weekend, and they REALLY stop the car well.

Are you going to trailer the car to/from the track?

If you're driving to the track and running on street tires, you don't need more brake than the stock calipers and aggressive track pads will give you.

I drive my Z06 to track day events, and when I recently was going to rebuild my stock calipers, I just found a brand new set of stock calipers from another forum member who was taking them off a GS to "upgrade" to a BBK - for street driving!! Below is a pic of the GS calipers on the Z06.

Just MHO, YMMV!!

BTW, you can buy the carbon ceramic brake package from forum member RichieRichZ06 - he's a vendor and works for a dealership in the Bay Area. You can get the CC package (rotors, calipers, pads, etc., for about $8000). Of course you also need bigger wheels, so your talking another few thou $$$!!!

Bob

Off with the old:

Name:  aeb95022.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  425.5 KB

On with the new:

Name:  42e4d1a2.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  445.3 KB

One piece DTC70 pads in stock Z06 calipers - they really stop the car fantastically well!!!

Name:  2b69cc73.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  441.4 KB

Last edited by BEZ06; 10-15-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added BTW
Old 10-15-2012, 11:22 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BEZ06
How much tracking do you plan to do???

Are you talking about competitive events like TT or club racing??? If so, then maybe you need to go with a real racing brake setup.

If you're talking about 3 or 4 HPDE type events per year, the stock Z06 brakes will do a great job for you. You do know they are a monobloc caliper with 6 pistons on each front and 4 on each rear caliper, right???

If you're just talking about going to the track for fun a few weekends a year, the stock brakes with an aggressive track pad will stop you really well!!!!

If you're gonna thrash the car at the track on R-compounds every weekend, then get a racing brake package.

I run the stock calipers and had Hawk DTC70 pads in for the track this weekend, and they REALLY stop the car well.

Are you going to trailer the car to/from the track?

If you're driving to the track and running on street tires, you don't need more brake than the stock calipers and aggressive track pads will give you.

I drive my Z06 to track day events, and when I recently was going to rebuild my stock calipers, I just found a brand new set of stock calipers from another forum member who was taking them off a GS to "upgrade" to a BBK - for street driving!! Below is a pic of the GS calipers on the Z06.

Just MHO, YMMV!!

BTW, you can buy the carbon ceramic brake package from forum member RichieRichZ06 - he's a vendor and works for a dealership in the Bay Area. You can get the CC package (rotors, calipers, pads, etc., for about $8000). Of course you also need bigger wheels, so your talking another few thou $$$!!!

Bob

Off with the old:

On with the new:

One piece DTC70 pads in stock Z06 calipers - they really stop the car fantastically well!!!

Those rotors and pads sure do look familiar lol
Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
I think it's awesome that you have the "option" to order them.
The problem is that despite the above comment not many people have much real long-term experience with CC brakes on Corvettes and I would say you might want to price out the replacement parts before making the decision. I've talked to several race shops about these and while they are unquestionably awesome state of the art brake technology, the replacement cost makes them impractical for routine track use unless money is no object in which case I'd buy the same brakes attached to a Ferrari. If you're only tracking once or twice a year then go for it. If it's me I'm going with cheapest option from the factory, and replacing them with a set of Brembo's.

Just so you know I was on the phone with a Ferrari parts dealer and the pads are $3800 on the 458.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:40 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
Just so you know I was on the phone with a Ferrari parts dealer and the pads are $3800 on the 458.
Of course they are...

They (Ferrari) can charge those prices and get them.

A friend has a Ferrari...spark plug wires were $150/ea...for something that should cost you no more than that for a set.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions Needed on Ordering Z06 With The Z07 Package ( ? )

Old 10-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
Next time you talk to him ask him what they charge for their replacement rotors Once he tells you the price you will realize how great a deal we are getting from GM on the CC brake system!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:00 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Werks
Next time you talk to him ask him what they charge for their replacement rotors Once he tells you the price you will realize how great a deal we are getting from GM on the CC brake system!
I remember seeing that it was >$20k for a "brake job" for those systems at a Ferrari dealership...

So yeah, $8k for the complete system (including new calipers) is a steal...and shows you what they are making off them.

After all, they need to finance their F1 team somehow...
Old 10-15-2012, 03:01 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

No, the P-car and Ferrari carbon ceramic brakes are better than the Corvette CC brakes because the P and F car CC brakes are dusted with fairy powder and sprinkled with unicorn tears! That makes them worth a lot more.

Quick Reply: Opinions Needed on Ordering Z06 With The Z07 Package ( ? )