Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:47 PM
msracing
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lost oil pressure

Hi guy here is one for the experts.. Yesterday i spend the day driving and coaching at Sebring with Chin Motorsports.. The car was awesome everything went well but on the last section of the day we went to move the car to fuel up and at the time we started the low oil pressure warning came on..check oil and everything look fine .. fire up the motor and at idle it showed 5psi reved it a little and oil wet up to 15-18psi no more.. motor sound fine... put it in the trailer came home and unloaded fired it up again and now zero oil pressure..and i hear the lifter and valves bleed down,,,,

could the oil pump gone out? or i heard form a buddy he has heard that the oring on between the pump and pickup has gone back/ split and its lost it prime because the pump is sucking air...

the question is has any of you guys heard of something like this.

thank you in advance...MANNY

2006 C6 LS2 TRACK CAR
Old 10-14-2012, 02:55 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an LS1/6 not LS2 but worth a read.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...r-problem.html
Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 PM
msracing
Pro

thanks for the info.. i think the oil pump is bad or the oring / pick up tube has come disconnected.. the bad part is that i drained the oil today and removed the filter and found some metal in the filter ,, it looks like what ever happen it must of happen just at the time i was coming off the track as i remember seeing the oil pressure coming off one the last corner at around 40psi so it must of happen just after that.. Now it has 0 psi .,, i maybe lucky that it just happen but now i have to take th emotor out and get it rebuilt...Sucks
Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 PM
msracing
Pro

well it looks like the main problem was High G's ,, looks like a new rotating Assembly and a dry sump system..

anyone has a dry sump setup forsale...?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm no help, but I'd like to know if you were running the stock ls2 oil system. What kind of tires and how long did your engine last?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:06 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Oil pressure sending unit could have gone out. I'd try replacing it before I did a tear down. Metal in the oil filter is scary though.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 AM
msracing
Pro

[QUOTE=hungryhippo;1582086572]I'm no help, but I'd like to know if you were running the stock ls2 oil system. What kind of tires and how long did your engine last?[/QUOTE

It was the stock ls2 oil pump we did about 12-13 track days with dot tires ,,, we have now done 5 track days on full suspension, and sticky slicks,,, when we started tracking the car 1 1/2 ago the car had 14k street miles.. Now its a full track race car.. well it will be again when i rebuild the motor... lol....
Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 AM
msracing
Pro

Originally Posted by Bills Z06
Oil pressure sending unit could have gone out. I'd try replacing it before I did a tear down. Metal in the oil filter is scary though.
We did some checking the oil pump by pass was stuck open and it was sending the oil back to the sump.. the dead give away is when we open the oil filter and seen all the little metal like flakes and filings,, not a huge amount but enough to fill the head of the magnet pen... its on the way out and we got lucky we got it in time as it could have been worst .. so i am going to upgrade it a little with stronger goodeis in the bottom end and a new dry sump system...

Cheers
Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 PM
0JDP Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by msracing
We did some checking the oil pump by pass was stuck open and it was sending the oil back to the sump.. the dead give away is when we open the oil filter and seen all the little metal like flakes and filings,, not a huge amount but enough to fill the head of the magnet pen... its on the way out and we got lucky we got it in time as it could have been worst .. so i am going to upgrade it a little with stronger goodeis in the bottom end and a new dry sump system...

Cheers
We've had this happen on a few pumps. You'll be better off with better internals and a dry sump given the fact you're running sticky tires. Good luck on the rebuild!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 PM
msracing
Pro

Just for ***** and giggles here are a few picts of what was in the oil filter..

Get notified of new replies

To lost oil pressure

Quick Reply: lost oil pressure