Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with valve spring kit please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Help with valve spring kit please.

Cam is the Texas Speed Magic Stick 3 237/242 .603"/.609" Camshaft with TFS 225 heads (rest of mods in sig) and YT rockers. I got 20 track days and 1 1/2 yrs out of TFS springs before breaking one. A lot of choices. Are the BT racing spings overkill? Here is the sale thread with the most choices:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...-kit-sale.html

TIA
Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Cam is the Texas Speed Magic Stick 3 237/242 .603"/.609" Camshaft with TFS 225 heads (rest of mods in sig) and YT rockers. I got 20 track days and 1 1/2 yrs out of TFS springs before breaking one. A lot of choices. Are the BT racing spings overkill? Here is the sale thread with the most choices:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...-kit-sale.html

TIA
Not an expert on which spring to pick but given that much lift in a race car or HPDE car, your not expecting much more than the life you got out of the old springs are you? I would think springs on an engine with over about .600 lift should be swapped annually.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:10 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That is a donkey dong cam for track use. Definitely annual spring replacement. I think the Y-T rockers are rated to 400lb (unless you have a fancier version than is typical), so be careful. It might be worth it to call various mfgs to see what they recommend.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:32 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Just ordered a set from Brian Tooney racing. I got a set similar to the ones I had - knowing I will be switching these out annually now. I got yr and a half and 21 track days out of originals before it broke. Doesn't seem like a big deal changing, except this time I have to pull head to make sure there is no valve/piston damage. I did a whole track day with the broken spring and a dyno pull. If I knew then what I know now, I would have went with a different cam. Oh yeah, and I wouldn't have married my ex-wife either.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:37 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You are quite lucky and I am glad that I was wrong on my guess as this was a relatively easy fix. Thank your lucky stars for dual valve springs.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with valve spring kit please.

Quick Reply: Help with valve spring kit please.