Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone recommend a 4pt harness?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 PM
v03z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can anyone recommend a 4pt harness?

hey guys, looking to pick up a 4pt harness for my Recaro Pole Position seats..I keep reading about Schroth being the more preferred brand. I'll admit I am a little confused to it all because their website has many different versions.

Can anyone point me in the right direction??
Old 10-17-2012, 07:01 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Many sanctioning bodies and/or event organizers do not allow 4 point harnesses for HDPE/roadracing.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:04 PM
v03z06
Pro

Originally Posted by PaConehead
Many sanctioning bodies and/or event organizers do not allow 4 point harnesses for HDPE/roadracing.
I appreciate that, but I will not be doing any track racing with the vehicle. The stock seat belts do not fit with the Recaro's so I have to move to a harness either way.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:04 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

4 point NO.

not allowed on the track. Need the Stock DOT 3 point or 5 or 6 point harness.

6 points are best to so the family jewels dont get squeezed

Unfortunate most states will not recognize anything but the stock 3 point.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:13 PM
v03z06
Pro

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
4 point NO.

not allowed on the track. Need the Stock DOT 3 point or 5 or 6 point harness.

6 points are best to so the family jewels dont get squeezed

Unfortunate most states will not recognize anything but the stock 3 point.

Again, not tracking the car...although you did just make the family jewel quiver in fear lol
Old 10-17-2012, 07:22 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If you're looking to replace your OEM 3-point with 4 point racing harness, you may want to look for a harness w/DOT approval so you don't run into any problems w/state safety inspection requirements. If I recall correctly there is only one such 4 point, and I'm suffering from a senior moment and can't recall the brand. I'm sure somebody will chime in - hopefully before I can recall the brand.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I think that the reason that people are pointing out that 4 point harnesses are not race legal is because honestly they are not safe. If you are going to pickup a harness get a 5 or 6 point (jewel saver). The reason that you want the 5th or 6th point is to stop you from sliding out from under the harness in the case of an accident. You can choke your self or break your neck if that happens. Again it's 100% a safety thing and honestly not something that you should do without. In regards to harnesses I personally have Schroth Hybrid II's in my car and they are easy to get into and out of with the cam lock system and i would highly recommend them. The difference between getting into a 4 point and a 5/6 point harness is only a few seconds so it's not a lot more hassle or complicated.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what you need. You need to figure out how to mount it and then buy the correct shoulder straps. This url will show many different types of mounting. Speaking from working with cops for the last 30 years, they don't know a DOT seatbelt form a non stock one. I don't know what kind of vehicle inspection you might have, but they might be more aware of DOT regulations. Now for the good news, DOT reqires a push button release and the Schroth has just that.

good luck

http://www.google.com/search?q=schro...w=1600&bih=685
Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by PaConehead
If you're looking to replace your OEM 3-point with 4 point racing harness, you may want to look for a harness w/DOT approval so you don't run into any problems w/state safety inspection requirements. If I recall correctly there is only one such 4 point, and I'm suffering from a senior moment and can't recall the brand. I'm sure somebody will chime in - hopefully before I can recall the brand.
I think there are a number of manufacturers that offer a 4-point harness; Sparco, RCI, Schroth (which may be the on with federal DOT approval), and a couple others.

You really need to check your state laws regarding the use of a 4-point harness. Some states may not allow anything other than an OEM seat belt/shoulder harness even if a multi-point harness system has a DOT approval. One thing that LEO's look for in enforcing seat belt laws is the shoulder belt coming down at an angle across the chest. With a pair of shoulder harnesses, that could be hard to see especially viewed from the rear.

The purpose of the sub belt in a 5-point system (regardless if you are racing, doing track days or even autocrossing) is to keep the lap belt from rising up either from impact in an accident or even tightening the shoulder belts too much. Raise the lap belt and you can slide under it in a collision. If you really want a multi-point system for the street, you need a 5 or 6-point system mounted properly. And worn properly.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:08 AM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

4 pts are good for autocross. I have a pair of brand new Schroth that are DOT legal, in unopened boxes, if you are interested.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I had a Schroth ASM Rallye 4 in my last car (2005 GTO with stock seats).

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...allye/rallye-4

However, the installation instructions (available on that page) are very specific about mounting points. The harness is designed to mount to existing seat belt mounting locations. Since Corvettes don't have rear seats there are no points behind the driver. I would call HMS and discuss your mounting strategy before buying a 4 point harness for your car.

Last edited by Scooter70; 10-18-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Crankedupforit
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.schrothracing.com/store/C...m/profi-II-asm

The ASM feature will make this 4pt. harness acceptable at many PDX HPDE events. They can be converted to 5 point. The red push button release is street legal as opposed to the cam lock. I run these and they are great for a streetable track car.
I agree that the harness mounting is critical.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:48 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator
4 pts are good for autocross. I have a pair of brand new Schroth that are DOT legal, in unopened boxes, if you are interested.
Which model?
How much?
PM or email me, fl007vette@gmail.com
Old 10-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

The reason the Schroth harnesses and others aren't permitted in the Corvette is because they are not designed or approved for use in the Corvette. The Schroth harnesses are approved for a few BMWs and some ricers. They have DOT approval since they provide the same protection as a 3 point harness. They do this by fastening into DOT approved safety harnesses latches already installed in the vehicle and by having weaker inside shoulder belts than the outside belts. In a crash the inside belt stretches more than the outside belt thus allowing the upper body to pivot forward and to the side like a 3 point allows. This keeps the body from submarining under the lap belt. Since the Corvette doesn't have the DOT approved mounting points for the shoulder belts to fasten to it isn't safe to use the belts in the car. Mounting them to a harness bar may work but nobody knows. The harnesses are designed for specific cars and tested to meet DOT requirements. Once out of the design parameters you have a crap shoot. Just like with Race Harnesses you can be stopped on the highway and be fined for not wearing seat belts if you have these harnesses in your car since they are not street legal.

You can get a complete run down on the harnesses by calling the Joe Marko the owner of HMS Motorsports in New England. He is a renowned safety expert and is very familiar with these harnesses and where they do and do not work.

Bill
Old 10-18-2012, 07:01 PM
v03z06
Pro

Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator
pm me
Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I'm just a washed up engineer, but wouldn't wearing a harness on the street without a helmet and HANS keep your body from reaching the airbag, but allow your neck to stretch until your head reached it? POP
Old 10-21-2012, 06:54 PM
v03z06
Pro

Originally Posted by Jason
I'm just a washed up engineer, but wouldn't wearing a harness on the street without a helmet and HANS keep your body from reaching the airbag, but allow your neck to stretch until your head reached it? POP
New steering wheel won't have an airbag anyway pop!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:58 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

I run rjs 5 point on my stock seats, gf will sometimes leave the crotch belt off making it a 4 point for her.

Last edited by SinisterC6; 10-21-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Can anyone recommend a 4pt harness?

Quick Reply: Can anyone recommend a 4pt harness?