Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motiv Power Bleeder - Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Motiv Power Bleeder - Help

After researching this forum I ordered a Motiv Power Bleeder and tried to use it this week. I decided to try it without fluid in tank, pressurized the tank to 12-15 psi and wasn't able to get much flow from bleeders - really just a weak trickle. My bleeder needs Flowmax - . Tank holds pressure ok.

Got the wifey up in the car to pump brakes and got much better flow - from the brakes that is. Any suggestions -? Thanks

Last edited by PaConehead; 10-19-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by PaConehead
After researching this forum I ordered a Motiv Power Bleeder and tried to use it this week. I decided to try it without fluid in tank, pressurized the tank to 12-15 psi and wasn't able to get much flow from bleeders - really just a weak trickle. My bleeder needs Flowmax - . Tank holds pressure ok.

Got the wifey up in the car to pump brakes and got much better flow - from the brakes that is. Any suggestions -? Thanks
I don't use fluid in the tank and I pressurize to close 20psi.

Works fine that way. When a person is pressing on the brake pedal the pressure in the line is a lot higher than 20 psi. That is why the brake lines aren't made out of copper or some other soft low strength metal.

Bill
Old 10-19-2012, 11:45 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't use fluid either and pump mine to 15 psi. You will only get a trickle so it will take a little longer to do it on you own. When I'm done, I usually have 3/4 of a bottle full of fluid. I do the back two calipers, then slowly depressurize, top off, then re-pressurize to 15psi.

It may not seem like a lot is coming out but if you left the bleeder valve open long enough, you'd drain the reservoir dry.

Jay
Old 10-20-2012, 12:53 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

my damn thing pops off over like 10 psi still good enought for a full bleed.

any suggestions to keep the master from blowing it's lid??
Old 10-20-2012, 01:06 AM
jamsvet
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop

My problem too. Luckily I had towels all over my car when it happened.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:23 AM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Put a hose clamp around the out side of the cap and it will not pop off.

Last edited by 1ED1; 10-20-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:33 AM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dvandentop

I did use the thicker gasket because the thinner one lost pressure too quick. It is rather snug to tighten, so maybe that helps hold it on. However, just in case I'm going to cover it with rag/towel just in case.

Thanks for the tips - I may try again today, maybe try a little more pressure and be a little more patient and let it bleed slowly.

Thanks again
Mike
Old 10-20-2012, 08:55 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,392 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by PaConehead
I may try again today, maybe try a little more pressure and be a little more patient and let it bleed slowly.

Thanks again
Mike
Another Mike on the boards, howdy!

The patience thing works quite well in many things, including using your Motive bleeder. I use about 15 psi and it works fine, if slowly. Nice thing is that you just crack the bleed screw and let it drain; no more worries about getting out of sync with your pedal pusher.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-20-2012, 09:22 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to use the thickest of the gaskets they send. It makes it VERY snug and tight. Make sure to wipe off any fluid from the gasket, seat it snug and twist. Mine sometimes takes 2 or 3 times to get it just right. If you realize it's leaking as you are pumping, stop, depressurize and start over. I find the first time I do it is easy, but after the backs when I refill, the second time always seems to be the most difficult to get it to seal. Just keep trying, it will eventually seal.

Jay

Last edited by crease-guard; 10-20-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I usually apply pressure down while turning and get a good fit.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:08 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Ok, I had a some time this afternoon so I re-bled the rears and just waited for a couple ounces of fluid to drain from each caliper. I was able to maintain pressure fairly well using the thicker gasket.

Other than being slow I had trouble getting the drain tubing to stay on the bleeder valve; ended up having to hold it on with one hand and work the wrench with the other. I was able to get some more pedal and certainly pushed the nasty fluid out of the caliper/lines.

Not exactly a painless process - I may look for some tubing that fits tighter on the bleeder valve or maybe try a small tubing clamp. I'd really like to get the wrinkles out of using this power bleeder so I can fire the wifey from this job - she really wont mind!!

Anybody had a problem getting the tubing to stay on - especially on the second wheel after fluid gets on the inside of the tubing? maybe I should reduce the pressure back to 12 lbs?

Mike
Old 10-20-2012, 06:20 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,392 Likes on 745 Posts

Mike,

Pressure on the drain hose is zero because it's open ended. I just have a variety of different diameter drain hoses so I can hopefully have one that fits tightly.

I have occasionally had problems bleeding/flushing brakes with the Motive because there's crud built up that restricts the fluid flow. Motive has enough force to flow fluid, but not enough to break muck loose.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-20-2012, 07:08 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Thanks Mike - good to know it's not just me!! I pick up some various diameter tubing.

I'd like to get one - maybe two - tracks days in this fall, so I'd better get this done!!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:34 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't use fluid in the tank and I pressurize to close 20psi.

Works fine that way. When a person is pressing on the brake pedal the pressure in the line is a lot higher than 20 psi. That is why the brake lines aren't made out of copper or some other soft low strength metal.

Bill
You can easily hit 1000 psi during hard braking.

Get notified of new replies

To Motiv Power Bleeder - Help

Quick Reply: Motiv Power Bleeder - Help