Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch experts needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:21 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch experts needed

Looking for opinion and or experiences:

We have [ had? ] a stock LT1 unit and the 383 seems to drive right through it. Or fried it? This is a GEN 1 motor, mated to a ’92 ZF 6 speed

For whatever reason, our clutch no longer does. .... AND I hate clutch jobs more than bloody diarrhea, so I want this fixed for as long as reasonably possible.

We have a Fidenza Al Flywheel and it looks like we will be getting a new friction plate.

One group of thought is a Valeo LT4 and good disk. [ My thought is that the LT1 is the same PP? Yes?? No?? ] .... and we will have to re-balance the whole deal. $65 for the new plate and the $100.00 (+) to balance.

The Junior partner [ the guy with no money] is thinking a new assembly: Steel Flywheel, plate and disc balanced from one place, will not be a big costs difference?

Right now the options are:

#1 Existing F.W. with a Valeo LT4 “racing” with a Good Disk and balancing @ $ 635.00 (+)
#2 Existing F.W. & McLeod would be $850 -$900.00 in parts and balancing
#3 Complete Spec package balanced with steel FW would be $800.00. [ Not sold on Spec? ]
#4 Then the argument to just go Push style?? [ My old ignorant opinion] . A little work but the WORLD of clutches is now ours in the safe ranges of price?

Not a huge difference.... unless we pick the wrong stuff????

Other input on other products would be helpful.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Ram 6000 in my C4. One buggering tough clutch. The throw out bearing is a Howe. Stock car stuff. Summit racing. Pressure plate is Centreforce and the flywheel is SFI steel. I like the LT flywheel. Its tough and only weighs 16 pounds. I'm not a fan of Fidanza. I've shattered one. It wasn't in a Vette though.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:50 PM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Canam
I use a Ram 6000 in my C4. One buggering tough clutch. The throw out bearing is a Howe. Stock car stuff. Summit racing. Pressure plate is Centreforce and the flywheel is SFI steel. I like the LT flywheel. Its tough and only weighs 16 pounds. I'm not a fan of Fidanza. I've shattered one. It wasn't in a Vette though.
Thanks for the response.!!

After spending some quality time at GEN III and LS1 tech, I got a load of information. [ probably should have posted on C4 TECH? this is C5/C6 territory here, sadly].

The consensus was this:

Most Non OEM GM Pressure Plates are off shore made and it is the luck of the draw to get a quality one. That includes NOS.

Just the nature of the business. Unfortunately it seems a lot of after market stuff is just that. Same products with different paint and a few number ground off.

I asked point blank. Some dealers said yes, some said no. The ones that said yes all said the have a QC program, because they see the same problem. I think I found the truth.

VALEO is selling them again, but not making them..... Chinese...

So I opted for a Carolina clutch package, simply because I have done business with them and they are close enough so I can fling the parts through a window if they are junk!

$475 for a six buck organic disc and PP with TOB, with bolts.

Thanks again for the response.

TJM

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch experts needed

Quick Reply: Clutch experts needed