Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

West Coast SCCA T1 group moves to NASA ST-2 en Masse

Old 10-21-2012, 01:42 AM
cdbmathews
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default West Coast SCCA T1 group moves to NASA ST-2 en Masse

The West Coast group of T1 drivers voted earlier this evening to move en masse to NASA ST-2 for the 2013 season. By combining the West Coast group of twelve ex T1 drivers with the existing NASA ST-2 drivers, the west coast NASA ST-2 class is expected to offer some well subscribed, exciting races during the upcoming 2013 season.

This group of passionate, dedicated drivers spent hundreds of hours lobbying SCCA over the course of several months trying to save the T1 class. Unfortunately both the SCCA BoD and CRB did not listen to their customers and, as a result, forced the move from SCCA over to NASA.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:34 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by cdbmathews
The West Coast group of T1 drivers voted earlier this evening to move en masse to NASA ST-2 for the 2013 season. By combining the West Coast group of twelve ex T1 drivers with the existing NASA ST-2 drivers, the west coast NASA ST-2 class is expected to offer some well subscribed, exciting races during the upcoming 2013 season.

This group of passionate, dedicated drivers spent hundreds of hours lobbying SCCA over the course of several months trying to save the T1 class. Unfortunately both the SCCA BoD and CRB did not listen to their customers and, as a result, forced the move from SCCA over to NASA.
Nice! I am shocked, shocked I tell you that the SCCA did not listen.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:46 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

In my opinion, the SCCA is not now, and never has been, a DRIVER oriented organization
Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 AM
cdbmathews
Instructor

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
In my opinion, the SCCA is not now, and never has been, a DRIVER oriented organization
Agreed! We had 75% of the active T1 drivers in agreement to use the C5 as the baseline, instead they chose the C6. They also opened up a lot of additioal rules from the old STO that the T1 driver did not want. The result is a significantly more expensive class. Now an empty class, on the west coast at least.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:57 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Looking forward to another year of racing with the same group. It's very cool that the Cal Club group decided to stick together. I was also able to keep the entire Northern Pacific T1 division united in this move to ST2 .
Old 10-21-2012, 12:22 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

SCCA has been amazing for a number of years, they could screw up a 1 car funeral.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Looking forward to another year of racing with the same group. It's very cool that the Cal Club group decided to stick together. I was also able to keep the entire Northern Pacific T1 division united in this move to ST2 .

Ha ha, Bill. You are very clever!!!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cdbmathews
Agreed! We had 75% of the active T1 drivers in agreement to use the C5 as the baseline, instead they chose the C6. They also opened up a lot of additioal rules from the old STO that the T1 driver did not want. The result is a significantly more expensive class. Now an empty class, on the west coast at least.

I would add one minor correction here. I polled the nearly four dozen nationally ranked and active national racers of 2012 and all but one supported the T1 proposal we were submitting to the CRB and BoD. The one hold-out was not too far off base from our proposal and would have rolled with the T1 community solution.

So my correction is that it was not 75%, but more accurately about 97% that were in complete agreement.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:40 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oli,

Let me know when you want to come out to Miller for any event prior to Nationals in Sept.

I don't know if I want to see a splitter and wing on your already fast car.

Glad to have all you guys in ST2. This should be a fun year of racing.

J.R.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:02 PM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the agreement we have all shaked hands on. We welcome any PTA, TTA and HPDE members to join us. We are going to another great year in 2013!

California ST-2 Corvette Gentleman’s Agreement

Intent

The intent of this agreement is to outline permitted NASA ST-2 performance modifications to our C5 & C6 Corvettes for use within the Socal and Norcal regions. The permitted modifications listen herein are designed to create close racing between various model years, enhance safety and contain costs.

It is assumed that all cars are already in 2012 SCCA Touring 1 specification (T-1 suspension, Delrin/Poly bushings, open shocks, 315 tire size, wheels, wheel bearings, brakes, ECU tune, headers, exhaust, differential types and interior removed) Modifications listed herein are additional to the allowed 2012 SCCA Touring 1 rule set.

Modifications

1. The following engine types are permitted:
LS1
LS2
LS3
LS6

2. Unless otherwise noted below, engine components shall not be modified, altered or swapped for any non-specified OEM component.

3. Rod and head bolt/studs may be swapped for sole purpose of engine reliability and longevity.

4. It is permissible to swap OEM LS6 heads and OEM LS6 cam on to an LS1 block.

5. Porting & polishing prohibited.

6. Blueprinting and balancing prohibited.

7. Any aftermarket air intake permitted. No forced induction.

8. Any power steering cooler, pump and rack permitted.

9. Transmission and final drive gear ratios shall not be changed from OEM specifications.

10. Eccentric bushing, bolts and slotted adjusters may be replaced with shim kits providing they are located on existing chassis structure and utilizing the original bolt holes.

11. GM springs may be replaced with any aftermarket coilover system.

12. GM sway bars may be replaced with any aftermarket sway bays.

13. Only one set of new tires are permitted per race weekend.

14. Aerodynamic modifications shall be limited to a single element rear wing and a front splitter.

15. Hoods may be vented.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Well, that just got a lot more complicated.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by J.R.
Oli,

Let me know when you want to come out to Miller for any event prior to Nationals in Sept.

I don't know if I want to see a splitter and wing on your already fast car.

Glad to have all you guys in ST2. This should be a fun year of racing.

J.R.
I look forward to racing with you and introducing you to the SoCal gang of racers. They are all fiercely competitive gentlemen racers. This past season I was only able to muster two wins against those clowns, I mean gentlemen. In 2012, in about 20+ races the wins were spread out over at least six different drivers.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jason
Well, that just got a lot more complicated.

Not really, this is only applicable to SoCal and we are self-managed as a group. We have had great racing in the past few years and it is because of our ability to work together to come up with good rules.

You guys go do what you want. We plan to have some great racing in SoCal and then many of us will show up to Miller to see what we can do there.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:18 PM
cdbmathews
Instructor

Quoting a wise man I know "The best 2013 touring class racing in the nation is going to be taking place in ST2 in southern California." We invite you all to join us.

The best racing and the best off-track camaraderie!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 10-21-2012, 11:01 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimtway
This is the agreement we have all shaked hands on. We welcome any PTA, TTA and HPDE members to join us. We are going to another great year in 2013!

California ST-2 Corvette Gentleman’s Agreement

Intent

The intent of this agreement is to outline permitted NASA ST-2 performance modifications to our C5 & C6 Corvettes for use within the Socal and Norcal regions. The permitted modifications listen herein are designed to create close racing between various model years, enhance safety and contain costs.

It is assumed that all cars are already in 2012 SCCA Touring 1 specification (T-1 suspension, Delrin/Poly bushings, open shocks, 315 tire size, wheels, wheel bearings, brakes, ECU tune, headers, exhaust, differential types and interior removed) Modifications listed herein are additional to the allowed 2012 SCCA Touring 1 rule set.

Modifications

1. The following engine types are permitted:
LS1
LS2
LS3
LS6

2. Unless otherwise noted below, engine components shall not be modified, altered or swapped for any non-specified OEM component.

3. Rod and head bolt/studs may be swapped for sole purpose of engine reliability and longevity.

4. It is permissible to swap OEM LS6 heads and OEM LS6 cam on to an LS1 block.

5. Porting & polishing prohibited.

6. Blueprinting and balancing prohibited.

7. Any aftermarket air intake permitted. No forced induction.

8. Any power steering cooler, pump and rack permitted.

9. Transmission and final drive gear ratios shall not be changed from OEM specifications.

10. Eccentric bushing, bolts and slotted adjusters may be replaced with shim kits providing they are located on existing chassis structure and utilizing the original bolt holes.

11. GM springs may be replaced with any aftermarket coilover system.

12. GM sway bars may be replaced with any aftermarket sway bays.

13. Only one set of new tires are permitted per race weekend.

14. Aerodynamic modifications shall be limited to a single element rear wing and a front splitter.

15. Hoods may be vented.
Great
Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Interesting development. Glad to see some racers found a good home within NASA.

Just curious, how much discussion was there between ST2 and the new ST3 class?

Get notified of new replies

To West Coast SCCA T1 group moves to NASA ST-2 en Masse

Old 10-22-2012, 10:37 AM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Dry sump?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 AM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
Dry sump?
Yes. Dry sumps are/were T-1 legal.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:49 AM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
I see what you did there....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: West Coast SCCA T1 group moves to NASA ST-2 en Masse