Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wider Racing Seat Option In Development for the C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 05:11 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Wider Racing Seat Option In Development for the C6

We recently test fitted a wider version of the seat below in a C6. It measures about 17.25" across the hip area of the shell. It will fit drivers with waists into the 40's and can gain headroom too if needed when mounted with our brackets and sliders.

A write-up of the standard width seat is below.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1582154212

Anyone interested in either version can email or pm me.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

nice seats! you should try adapting the factory air bolsters on those. Im sure it could help so smaller and larger drivers can share the same vehicle.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I posted this in the other thread going in the z06 section but I thought it was worth adding here too--

Mark came up to test fit the protype of the 1" wider version in my z06 over the weekend -- I fit good and it will allow me to use a helmet without my head being pressed into the headliner or having to slouch forward. (I'd guess at 2" gained clearance on the headroom and it felt like I gained legroom too. I'm 6'4" 275lbs, not exactly a skinny frame for a racing seat. Also it was nice that it wasn't pinching my shoulders but still felt supportive. I think there is even room to go a bit wider in the bottom of the seat frame and still get in the c6 ok, but the better option would be some driver modifications. -Dan

PS- Mark- please get me a price on a set like in the picture above, is that ebony leather with matching alcantara in the center? logo looks good too.

Last edited by 68sixspeed; 10-24-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:35 AM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

any hope of these fitting a C5 Z06?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bsalie99
any hope of these fitting a C5 Z06?
Not with the stock seat belt in the car. You can see how much room the
C5 seat belt takes up on the floor

compared to the C6

Old 11-02-2012, 11:10 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by marrad
We recently test fitted a wider version of the seat below in a C6. It measures about 17.25" across the hip area of the shell. It will fit drivers with waists into the 40's and can gain headroom too if needed when mounted with our brackets and sliders.

A write-up of the standard width seat is below.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1582154212

Anyone interested in either version can email or pm me.
We have completed the plug that will be used to make the mold for the wider seat. Pictures are below. Our goal is to make this seat available not only in frp but also in carbon fiber for those willing to pay the extra for even lighter weight.

We will offer both our mounting bracket with sliders and a lighter fixed seat mount bracket by the time this seat is completed in about 6 weeks. Anyone providing deposits in advance will receive discounted pricing so pm or email me if you are interested.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:19 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Dan (68sixspeed) posted the reply below on another thread which may help people determine seat fitment.

Mark came up to test fit the protype of the 1" wider version in my z06 over the weekend -- I fit good and it will allow me to use a helmet without my head being pressed into the headliner or having to slouch forward. (I'd guess at 2" gained clearance on the headroom and it felt like I gained legroom too. I'm 6'4" 275lbs, not exactly a skinny frame for a racing seat. Also it was nice that it wasn't pinching my shoulders but still felt supportive. I think there is even room to go a bit wider in the bottom of the seat frame and still get in the c6 ok, but the better option would be some driver modifications. -Dan
Old 11-02-2012, 08:13 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

We are developing a fixed seat mount bracket and want it to be as universal as possible. The 1997-1999 Corvettes had a module on the passenger floor that I believe is called an "airbag reserve energy module". You can see it in the picture below.

We want our fixed brackets to have a cutout for this so it would work with all C5 and C6 models without modification. If anyone has or access to a 1997-1999 with this module and can get me the dimensions from the front seat stud to the front and rear of this module, it will help me complete the new lighter aluminum non-sliding brackets faster.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by marrad
We are developing a fixed seat mount bracket and want it to be as universal as possible. The 1997-1999 Corvettes had a module on the passenger floor that I believe is called an "airbag reserve energy module". You can see it in the picture below.

We want our fixed brackets to have a cutout for this so it would work with all C5 and C6 models without modification. If anyone has or access to a 1997-1999 with this module and can get me the dimensions from the front seat stud to the front and rear of this module, it will help me complete the new lighter aluminum non-sliding brackets faster.
That module is the lateral G sensor for the Active Handling System. In the C6 it was combined in a single module with the yaw rate sensor and is mounted in the same location as the C5 Yaw rate sensor behind the center stack

Bill
Old 11-02-2012, 08:50 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That module is the lateral G sensor for the Active Handling System. In the C6 it was combined in a single module with the yaw rate sensor and is mounted in the same location as the C5 Yaw rate sensor behind the center stack

Bill
That's what I thought but I forwarded the picture to a Chevy parts manager and he replied "It's the airbag reserve energy module used from 97-99 before they changed to dual stage airbags in 2000".

Whatever it is - I'd like our floor mounted bracket to be cutout around it's location so any help with dimensions will be appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Wider Racing Seat Option In Development for the C6

Quick Reply: Wider Racing Seat Option In Development for the C6