Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active handling defeated!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Actually I shared it many times before in relation to C5 active handling questions and even mentioned several years ago that I didn't know if it would work on C6s.
Alright then. Surprised you never tried it on your car.

I did the canister.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

I didn't want to disable the active handling so I put sensors in my track wheels.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

talking about wet laps... here is mine from Spa-Frankorchamps.. though in m3, but TC really helped out with lap times, I just couldn't move with TC off.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

This is great info. Jerry
Old 05-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I posted this info in a couple of other threads but it seems appropriate here. A couple of weekends ago I tried a couple of things on my 08.

The first thing I did was to put sensors in a canister and pressurize them to 35 psi. Worked fine for exactly one half hour and then the car said Service Tire Pressure Monitor and all 4 tires were reading XXX. Car did not apply both front brakes in turns so it wasn't trying to slow me down to 55 mph. AH may have been reactivated but I didn't get to try and see if I could get it to react since the session was black flagged. I can drive a lot of laps with everything but TC on and never have AH react unless I do something awkward to force it to react. At the beginning of the next session the car was reading the sensors again and I got another half hour without complaint before pulling the car back into the garage. The next time I tried to go out the car had only recognized three of the sensors and I barely got out of pit lane before the brakes were being applied to slow the car to 55 mph. I don't think of that as AH which reacts to control yaw not speed. I limped around the track and returned to the garage. Half hour later the car was reading all 4 sensors and was good to go. The lesson to take from this episode is you don't need to put the sensors in a canister. Just park your car near your street tires with the sensors installed and you can get the same thing without buying extra sensors and building a canister.

The next thing I tried was pulling the steering sensor connector. My car has the orange comb thing in the connector so the connector was fairly hard to get apart but with some help I got it. Car ran fine after that. I pulled the canister out of the rear cubby and sat it on the work bench and the TPMS was happy sometimes but with the sensor disconnected I didn't have to wait until all 4 sensors were being seen by the car. I still had to turn off TC but I wonder how effective it really is without the steering sensor. The early C5s were ABS and TC only cars and all of them had steering sensors which worked with the TC. It probably isn't a good idea to keep pulling the connector since it isn't one of the high repetition connectors. It looks like the best place to install a switch is somewhere near the underhood fuse block where the +5 and low reference signals for the sensor come from.

Bill
Old 05-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Bill, if you are using a pressure canister the TPS sensors need to move around a bit otherwise they go into sleep mode. What I did was just stick the canister in the rear cubby hole and with the G's from braking and turning it seems to keep the sensors moving around enough to transmit all the time. Otherwise before you go out on track just give the canister a firm shake for 30-40 seconds before you strap in and the sensors will transmit to the car giving you about 30 minutes or so of time before they blank out.

If you do figure something out as far as how to mount a switch or something to disable the steering wheel position sensor please keep us informed.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:45 AM
CyberGS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default raising the dead here

Originally Posted by msracing
why not just pull the fuse that is what we did.. i had just put on some stickys,,I was running the front straight at Homestead and out of nowhere just before T1 the front right locked up and pulled me towards the wall and just scared the s#$t out of me.. My buddy Brent from Performance tech pulled the AH/Abs fuse and i have never had any problem .. My Car is a full track car.. this may not be a good idea if you drive it on the street..
Which fuse is this? I have a 2011 Z06 and under hood I have three fuses all marked ABS (two minis, a 10A and 25A, and then a 40 A). None of these say AH next to them. The 10A had ABS / MM something or other, but in fact nowhere do I see any fuse marked AH.

edit - I still have mag ride shocks so if this disables it then I can't do it. If it only disables AH and ABS then I am all over it.

Last edited by CyberGS; 07-16-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:57 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberGS
Which fuse is this? I have a 2011 Z06 and under hood I have three fuses all marked ABS (two minis, a 10A and 25A, and then a 40 A). None of these say AH next to them. The 10A had ABS / MM something or other, but in fact nowhere do I see any fuse marked AH.

edit - I still have mag ride shocks so if this disables it then I can't do it. If it only disables AH and ABS then I am all over it.
Fuse 3 ABS/MRRTD 10 A supplies both the ABS (EBCM) and the Ride Control. The other two fuses 25 and 40 amps are for the ABS (EBCM). Kill the EBCM or the BPMV (gets its power from the EBCM) by pulling those two fuses and you won't have any nannies.

Pulling the connector on the steering sensor just kills AH so you can still use ABS if needed in an emergency (like oil or coolant on the track).

Bill
Old 07-16-2013, 12:27 PM
CyberGS
Instructor

thanks Bill, you have been a huge help to me on a few topics now!

edit - removed fuse #11, 25A ABS and drove it around at lunch today. AH and TC are shut off and the ABS and brake lights are on and three messages post to the dash which of course pushing any button overrides back to the display you care about. Other than the lights and messages the car drives fine. I shot thru some turns on a back road to get the Gs up as well and nothing kicked in or acted up so I believe I have my zero cost fix!

Thanks again.

Last edited by CyberGS; 07-16-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: update testing fuse pull
Old 01-09-2015, 08:05 PM
09ZR1guy
2nd Gear

Default Active handling in 09 ZR1 not working?

Looking for any suggestions. When I toggle the ride control from Tour to Sport, nothing happens on the screen nor any change in the suspension.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:57 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks to 09ZR1guy for kicking this back up. I had not seen it and wish I had.
I never had any success making the canister. It would leak down too quickly. so I've run my C6 w/o TPMS and have had an issue only when battery voltage drops and it resets the TPM to read zero. UGLY.

I've also had a recent problem with my C5 not being able to (at times) not being able to turn off TC We think it is a faulty steering sensor issue. Apparently not uncommon on these cars. Looks like disconnect will help that.
Just another reason to look forward to warm weather to check it out.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:12 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Fuse 3 ABS/MRRTD 10 A supplies both the ABS (EBCM) and the Ride Control. The other two fuses 25 and 40 amps are for the ABS (EBCM). Kill the EBCM or the BPMV (gets its power from the EBCM) by pulling those two fuses and you won't have any nannies.

Pulling the connector on the steering sensor just kills AH so you can still use ABS if needed in an emergency (like oil or coolant on the track).

Bill

The last two events, I've done laps w/ the steering wheel sensor disconnected after discussions w/ Bill Dearborn. TPMS is disabled, AH is disabled, ABS is active and TC is selectable via the AH mode button. My car is a race prepared 2006 ZO6.
The DIC indicates Service Active Handling and flashes low tire pressures. These can all be zeroed out w/ the reset button.

Jim
Old 01-11-2015, 12:16 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree with a previous post that noted the steering sensor plug was not designed for repetitive removal/install cycles. Does anyone know what wire(s) specifically need to be disconnected? I may try to rig up a toggle switch so I can switch between track and street modes.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:26 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty
I agree with a previous post that noted the steering sensor plug was not designed for repetitive removal/install cycles. Does anyone know what wire(s) specifically need to be disconnected? I may try to rig up a toggle switch so I can switch between track and street modes.
also wanna know? i know some1 did this by now

post it so i dont have to go thru the hassle of doingit wire by wire lol
Old 03-16-2015, 10:03 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Disconnet the yaw/acceleration sensor (behind the radio screwed to the tunnel) instead, it is a more robust connector and provides the exact override/defeat that disconnecting the steering angle sensor does.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:25 PM
mikymu
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Disconnet the yaw/acceleration sensor (behind the radio screwed to the tunnel) instead, it is a more robust connector and provides the exact override/defeat that disconnecting the steering angle sensor does.
That may work too but I think it's a bit harder to access the sensors
Old 03-16-2015, 12:29 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
but that will also disable the ABS

Get notified of new replies

To Active handling defeated!

Old 04-05-2015, 06:46 AM
jbednarsh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more validation for the steering sensor fix. '07 Z06, I pulled the steering sensor and had three fast, fabulous days at Road Atlanta on brand new set of R6's. All nannies disabled, ABS still active. This fix made all the difference!
Old 04-05-2015, 11:17 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Again, anyone know which wire(s) specifically need to be disconnected from the steering sensor connector to disable the nannies?
Old 04-05-2015, 12:54 PM
mikymu
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Again, anyone know which wire(s) specifically need to be disconnected from the steering sensor connector to disable the nannies?
I don't think we know the specific wires other than disconnect the whole plug. maybe a toggle switch that control all the wires or testing one wire at a time?

Quick Reply: Active handling defeated!