Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:06 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default What now?

This has gone past just repl a broken valve spring. Finally got my spings, seals and locators to replace in motor. After removing the broken spring, I found the steel locator and the steel shim beneath it are gone, except for a couple of small pieces. There is none of the pieces in the top of the head anywhere. It was an intake valve spring that broke. Do I just change the oil and hope the filter and screen caught it all? How far down do I tear motor apart? Is it time to haul off to shop to finish?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:32 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Guys that lose their needle bearing in the rockers seem to keep on going, given that they cannot fit through the pickup screen. You are in the same boat. I think it is either too late (damage done) or you are going to be fine.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Guys that lose their needle bearing in the rockers seem to keep on going, given that they cannot fit through the pickup screen. You are in the same boat. I think it is either too late (damage done) or you are going to be fine.
if it made it to the bottom of the motor you will have to pull the pan to find the parts.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

x2 on pulling the pan.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,083 Likes on 655 Posts

X3 on pulling the pan.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:24 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Can that be done without a lift? I am thinking not.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:34 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my opinion here... but if you want to keep doing track days, I would get rid of that built motor and find me a GM crate motor, drop it in and go have fun. More reliable and alot less money. All the money spent on a built motor will buy a few track days worth of fun.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:35 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
You can drop the lower pan, but not the upper one without dropping the cradle.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:26 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PushinTheLimit
Just my opinion here... but if you want to keep doing track days, I would get rid of that built motor and find me a GM crate motor, drop it in and go have fun. More reliable and alot less money. All the money spent on a built motor will buy a few track days worth of fun.
Not sure where you are coming from there. Motor has over 40 track days and 35k mi. Valve spring issue is more a result of my ignorance than motor build. Motor was built with doing track days in mind, just made a bad choice with cam. Just should have been doing springs on annual basis.

Originally Posted by sperkins
You can drop the lower pan, but not the upper one without dropping the cradle.
I will do that first and see how much of the parts I can piece back together from pan and oil filter. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep...easy but a whole bunch of parts come off the car including dropping the cradle. What I did was to remove the windshield washer reservoir (assuming you have all the accessories off the front of the motor) there is a channel where a chunk of black pipe will fit into nicely across the frame, side to side. Screw two of the larger bolts into the lower face of the engine with the bolts each going through a length of chain. Loop the chain over the black pipe and remove the slack from the chain so that the engine is essentially hanging from the black pipe.

Many ways to remove the slack from the chain. I took the primitive route using a long bolt, with washers and a nut, going through the chain. Keep tightening the nut until the chain gets tight.

Now remove the front cradle and all the other stuff so you can drop the pan.

Since you are this deep into the crap, might as well change all those other thing you want to...like the timing chain, cam , etc.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:52 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Dang, sorry about the bad luck!!

Hope the best for the car and wallet!!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:14 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I will do that first and see how much of the parts I can piece back together from pan and oil filter. Thanks.
The problem is that whatever you need to dig out may not have fallen down into the wing section of the pan. For the most part, there's only a small hole for the pickup tube that goes into the lower pan. I'm not sure how you can flush out something that may be sitting on the upper part of the pan.

Get notified of new replies

To What now?

Quick Reply: What now?