Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Throw Out Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Default C6 Throw Out Bearing

Excellent throw out bearing assembly from Katech.

It goes in tomorrow!

Jim
Old 10-26-2012, 01:30 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 10-26-2012, 02:03 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like it should do the trick, Jim. Did you upgrade just to upgrade or did you have a problem with the GM throw out bearing?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
That looks like it should do the trick, Jim. Did you upgrade just to upgrade or did you have a problem with the GM throw out bearing?
I lost the master and installed a Tick unit (not an easy job but doable). I did some research and found some guys that track their car are having issues with the stock bearing. I talked with Jason and ordered one.

losing this bearing on track could cause major damage. I have not had a problem but don't want to. This is for Katech's LS9X clutch.

Jim
Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Looks like a very nice piece. Is that part lying on the kitchen counter top? You're a brave man. (nice granite)
Old 10-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Looks like a very nice piece. Is that part lying on the kitchen counter top? You're a brave man. (nice granite)
Yes, Arte, on the kitchen Island. Wife was out!

Jim
Old 10-28-2012, 06:49 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Jim, that assembly is using a Tilton slave - we have made a few of those over the last couple of years. Before install you need to make sure that the Tilton master does not flow too much fluid to over extend the slave, or too little to fully disengage your clutch, you just cannot use any of their masters with any of their slaves and any clutch. You also need to find out the clutch disc wear over its expected life and account for that in the slave/master combo.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Hey Jim, that assembly is using a Tilton slave - we have made a few of those over the last couple of years. Before install you need to make sure that the Tilton master does not flow too much fluid to over extend the slave, or too little to fully disengage your clutch, you just cannot use any of their masters with any of their slaves and any clutch. You also need to find out the clutch disc wear over its expected life and account for that in the slave/master combo.
Thanks, buddy! I got the assembly from katech. I had already installed the Tick master and I have the Katech LS9X clutch. It went in slick as hell and works GREAT! The clutch peddle is a little stiffer but I am sure it is sized properly by Katech for the clutch I have. I have just driven it home but I really like it. My concern was slave failure on track causing major damage. See my post about what a GM Master Mechanic can do in 3.5 hours for pictures.

Jim
Old 11-05-2012, 10:42 AM
C5addict
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim:

I have the LS9X clutch in my track only car and the GM slave failed after less than 8 hours of use. Your comment about the stock GM slave being junk is absolutely correct. It just disintigrated! I now have the Katech slave in the car and that should solve the problem. Anyone who installs a new clutch would be well advised to use the Katech unit since replacement of the slave is no easy task.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:15 PM
CTCV
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C5addict
Jim:

I have the LS9X clutch in my track only car and the GM slave failed after less than 8 hours of use. Your comment about the stock GM slave being junk is absolutely correct. It just disintigrated! I now have the Katech slave in the car and that should solve the problem. Anyone who installs a new clutch would be well advised to use the Katech unit since replacement of the slave is no easy task.
RE: 2002 Z06

Received from Katech:

" The throwout bearing/slave cylinder assembly that we designed for the C5
LS9X clutch kit will only work with the LS9X/LS9R clutches. It doesn't work
with the factory clutch. "

Any suggestions on a throw out bearing from other vendors for a 2002 Z06 ? In another web search, mentioned that the GM part was upgraded, correct or ?

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Throw Out Bearing

Quick Reply: C6 Throw Out Bearing