Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'll be sticking with the ZR1 for track days...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 07:17 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default I'll be sticking with the ZR1 for track days...

I was lazy and decided to take my air intake only CTS-V for it's first track day. I thought the stock brake fluid would hold for one measly track day. Uh, no. It didn't even last a session. Probably the most helpless feeling I've had in over 12 years of track days. Total brake failure after I had already starting slowing down because the pedal had gotten so soft and was going near to the floor. I was going to head into the hot pit in one more corner when this failure occurred.

Praise God the brakes didn't fail in one of my 100+mph braking zones a lap or less before this incident. Lesson very much learned to NEVER run stock brake fluid for any track day.

Luckily, no damage to the CTS-V besides a dirty interior. This was at a Corvette HPDE track day to raise money for the road course track soon to be built at the National Corvette Museum. LG Motorsports was on hand for support, to give free rides, and to provide a free lunch. They did an awesome job completely flushing my crap stock brake fluid with some Endless brake fluid. They had the wheels off, everything flushed, wheels back on, and I was back on the track in less than an hour. Thanks, Lou, Louis, Anthony, etc. at LG!

Jump to 5:30 for the action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmVEa...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

did you check for **** on your passenger seat??? LOL yeah the stock v is a heavy dog so doesnt take much to boil that fluid.

i have had mine out on the track before and didnt have an issue but it was a pretty tame couple sessions
Old 10-27-2012, 08:47 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dvandentop
did you check for **** on your passenger seat??? LOL yeah the stock v is a heavy dog so doesnt take much to boil that fluid.

i have had mine out on the track before and didnt have an issue but it was a pretty tame couple sessions
Passenger seat was fine luckily. I checked the drivers seat too, just to be sure and it was fine also. I thought I'd go out and have fun for 4 sessions or so and call it day and not drive too aggressively, but that didn't work out too well. I can't help but push a car on track and the stock fluid/pads didn't like it too much. Lesson definitely learned.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:02 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I wonder if Hennessey upgrades the brakes on this bad monster...

They gave the new SH130 85 MPH toll road a "pre-flight"...

It ticks that MPH off at a pretty rapid rate...
Old 10-27-2012, 11:14 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
I wonder if Hennessey upgrades the brakes on this bad monster...
I think it needs a parachute.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:24 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

That was a NICE move to go off to the right rather than attempt that left corner that was coming up! I was wondering where at ECR you had your off.

Now for those q-tips!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

If it was built by Hennessy they won't need to worry about it running very long.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:43 AM
apexman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you made it without a wreck in the V! The only way you might have gotten away with not replacing the brake fluid is if you were a first time driver. I wish I would have known they lifted the need to have a Corvette at the event, I would have brought my V out.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
If it was built by Hennessy they won't need to worry about it running very long.

And built from "borrowed" parts...
Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 PM
pewterhdtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my 2013 CTS-V coupe to Laguna Seca (did change to Motul RBF600 ahead of time) as well as my C5 FRC. Was amazed at the capability of the CTS-V! Turned a 1:51.167 in the CTS, on street tires, I am lucky to get a 1:52.xxx in the FRC! I was not even close to pushing the CTS that hard either! I did experience an overheated differential after every 15 minutes into a 30 minute session in the V, need a diff cooler for sure!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by pewterhdtop
I did experience an overheated differential after every 15 minutes into a 30 minute session in the V, need a diff cooler for sure!
I only did one track day with my '09 V, and by the end of the first 20 minute session I'd already lit the "DIFF" warning. I got two laps into the next session (an hour or so later) and the same warning popped up. I parked it and then later sold it.

The V desperately needs 2 things for the track: The differential cooler and the track-ready 2-piece Brembo rotors. Neither were available back when I got mine. Sans the cooler and you'll likely overheat the fluid. Sans the rotors and you'll risk rippling your stock ones because of that silly co-casting technology. The Al hubs will cool at a different rate than the iron disks will and voila: rippled rotors.

Fantastic car, just frustrating for any track use, even "slow" HPDEs.

jas
Old 10-29-2012, 04:48 PM
pewterhdtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My V came with the 2 piece rotors, they are great and the "fix" for the clicking wheel issue on several prior model years. The diff coller I understand is available from someplace like for cadillac or similar. Amazing car for being right off the showroom floor. Wife was driving it for her first track day and did not experience any issues, although she did not drive it very hard at all!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:16 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

The V is a serious track car. Monticello has a fleet of them. There is a company that solely makes track parts for the V.

The factory brake fluid is Dot 3. and comes from a 55 gallon drum on a production line. By the time you got that car to the track, that brake fluid is a year old.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:45 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Yeah, I'm sure the V is fine, but the stock brake fluid and brake pads aren't fine though for anyone that pushes the car during a track session.

My brakes are still making a groaning/slight vibration noise when I brake through a certain speed driving around town. I'm 90% sure it's uneven pad deposit on the rotors, so hopefully it wears off after a few days of driving around town. It's pretty annoying.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I took my bone stock c6z06 on track at VIR with the same result...I didn't go off track, but I tapped the brakes and there was nothing there. I changed the fluid and back out again-with the new fluid gassed the stock pads...
Old 10-30-2012, 03:23 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
My brakes are still making a groaning/slight vibration noise when I brake through a certain speed driving around town. I'm 90% sure it's uneven pad deposit on the rotors, so hopefully it wears off after a few days of driving around town. It's pretty annoying.
Do you have the "track" brakes? The 2-piece rotors? Or are you using the co-cast ones?

If the latter, it's rippled rotor as I explained in my last post. You might need to go out late at night and warm them up a bit and then drive for a while and let them cool slowly.

jas
Old 10-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Put some SRF fluid and Carbotech pads you will be good to go and as always if I can help call me 216-780-8825.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Get notified of new replies

To I'll be sticking with the ZR1 for track days...

Quick Reply: I'll be sticking with the ZR1 for track days...