Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Class Structure Help.....Please.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:46 AM
daytonayellaz
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Class Structure Help.....Please.

Can some one help me out and direct me to...or lay out the road to auto cross/road race classes out there today. Maybe from the simplest/least expensive to the more serious stuff. I know you can take your stock/unmodified street driven car to these autocross events. But I like to mod stuff. I have a 05 C6 and want to decide what class I want to run it in and what the rules are.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Step 1: Set a budget.
Step 2: Double it.
Step 3: Find a class, build car specifically to max amount that class allows.
Step 4: Double your budget again.
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Double your budget again.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 AM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

here is a link to the SCCA autox rules and classing
http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517
Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 AM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Autocross, time trial, or road racing?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:17 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Not all autocross sanctioning organizations have the same class structures or even which specific mods can keep you in a stock class or move you to a modified class.

What organization are you planning to run with for autocross? Get a copy of their rules and read them. Then ask some of the participants with similar cars (C6's) what they have done. If you have never entered an autocross event, you may find that some events allow for a Novice type of class where it doesn't matter what the car is or wht mods you have. Most all events will have a "Time Only" class where you just pay the entry fee and run.

For HPDE/track days, there really aren't classes based on mods, it's driver experience that determines what class you are placed in. Organized competitive road race events are a different story.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:15 PM
daytonayellaz
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the replies everyone! I REALLY want to road race! Im afraid this is out of my grasp financially. I dont want the car to be a trailered only type of car. I would prefer it to be street legal and able to drive it to some of the auto-x events. I bought the 05 C6 to do some type of racing. Now I need to decide exactly where to head with it. If it stays street legal it wont be making any long road trips. Maybe some of you who have been there done that....can point me in the right direction and give me some advice. I have spent a lot of time in a race car....many years ago. Just need that adrenaline rush again before I get too old! lol.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by daytonayellaz
Thanks for the replies everyone! I REALLY want to road race! Im afraid this is out of my grasp financially. I dont want the car to be a trailered only type of car. I would prefer it to be street legal and able to drive it to some of the auto-x events. I bought the 05 C6 to do some type of racing. Now I need to decide exactly where to head with it. If it stays street legal it wont be making any long road trips. Maybe some of you who have been there done that....can point me in the right direction and give me some advice. I have spent a lot of time in a race car....many years ago. Just need that adrenaline rush again before I get too old! lol.
Do you mean you want to do wheel 2 wheel road racing? You will need to cage your car to do that and the car will pretty much end up a track only car. If you are talking about time trials on a road course then you can use a street car.

Groups that competition classes are SCCA, NASA, NCCC (autocross only). SCCA has road race and autocross series, NASA has road race, time trials and autocross.

Bill
Old 10-29-2012, 07:26 PM
daytonayellaz
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thx Bill..... I would love to do some real wheel to wheel racing. But I dont think thats realistic for me at this point in life. I guess from my point of view...I want the car street legal and as many mods as allowed and be able to compete in a class with a large car count. Also would like it to be something thats popular nationwide. Anything come to mind?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Thx Bill..... I would love to do some real wheel to wheel racing. But I dont think thats realistic for me at this point in life. I guess from my point of view...I want the car street legal and as many mods as allowed and be able to compete in a class with a large car count. Also would like it to be something thats popular nationwide. Anything come to mind?
It looks like you would be more interested in the NASA Time Trial classes. However, you probably won't be able to just jump into the fray. You will have to do some HPDEs so you can learn how to drive your car at speed. It isn't the same as driving on the street and it takes a fair amount of track days to get the proper amount of experience so you aren't a danger to yourself and others.

2MCHPWR is a forum member that is doing time trials with a C5Z. Talk to him and look up the NASA Rules to see what you can and cannot do. I suspect that mods aren't really that important to having fun. Selecting a class that has a lot of equally matched competitors would probably be the most fun since you will find out how good of a driver you are.

Bill
Old 10-30-2012, 06:13 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Jason
Step 1: Set a budget.
Step 2: Double it.
Step 3: Find a class, build car specifically to max amount that class allows.
Step 4: Double your budget again.
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Double your budget again.
, So true!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:43 AM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Good events close to you.

Can some one help me out and direct me to...or lay out the road to auto cross/road race classes out there today. Maybe from the simplest/least expensive to the more serious stuff. I know you can take your stock/unmodified street driven car to these autocross events. But I like to mod stuff. I have a 05 C6 and want to decide what class I want to run it in and what the rules are.
Look at 10/10ths Motorsports web site for an idea of what they offer for 2013. Three driver groups based on experience with the red group being the most advanced. It is set up as an HPDE format with 2 1/2 to 3 hours track time per day. For 2012 Time Trail was added to the mix but is optional. Most events have large car counts in each group. They run most events at Putnam Park about 40 miles west of Indianapolis near Greencastle, In.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:35 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

any type of competition, auto-x, tt or W2W reality the car will need to be trailered. that means Suburban and open trailer at a minimum. to a 3/4 ton pick to 28' enclosed trailer.

may just so track days, and HPDEs for fun to start. You can drive to and from the event.

Good Luck
Old 10-30-2012, 07:36 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

If you're in Indiana, definitely hook up with 10/10ths. Those guys have a great organization and run very good HPDE events. Starting off in HPDE with your car stock will give you a good baseline and will gain you some experience so you can decide how far you want to go in the sport. You may find out that "open track" type events are what you're really looking to do.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:59 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
any type of competition, auto-x, tt or W2W reality the car will need to be trailered. that means Suburban and open trailer at a minimum. to a 3/4 ton pick to 28' enclosed trailer.

may just so track days, and HPDEs for fun to start. You can drive to and from the event.

Good Luck
FYI, my 2010 Tahoe does a good job of pulling my open trailer with my car on it. Added a brake controller and even the small mountains we have around here it works. Steel trailer + car and junk is right at 6k lbs.

Last edited by jaa1992; 10-30-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: need a new keyboard
Old 10-30-2012, 01:22 PM
daytonayellaz
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone! I went to 10/10ths website. That looks like a great place to run! Im on the north side of Indy and that is pretty close. Im certain I will be attending events there. Does anyone know what the charge is for a day at the track with 10/10ths ?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:42 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone! I went to 10/10ths website. That looks like a great place to run! Im on the north side of Indy and that is pretty close. Im certain I will be attending events there. Does anyone know what the charge is for a day at the track with 10/10ths ?
Once the 2013 schedule is out the price is posted for 1 or 2 days. I am one of the instructors for 10/10ths and can vouch for the quality of the event. Great bunch of drivers and instructors, first class operation all the way. Putnam is a great track to really learn how to drive your car. 10/10ths will also do some 1 day events at Mid-Ohio a few times a during the season. If you are on north side of Indy I would also check Indiana Region NCCC website for 2013 dates for autocross around central Indiana.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:59 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

10/10ths

Get notified of new replies

To Class Structure Help.....Please.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:01 PM
geerookie
Drifting

But I like to mod stuff. I have a 05 C6
Be careful when you buy parts to mod that car. Many, Many things on that car are one off versions.
'01 - '04 are all the same and '06 - '11 are the same most of the time.
One of our cars is an '05 and the wiring is different, the torque tube is different, the rear end is different, the trans is different, it's an LS2 not LS3. The list goes on but you get the idea.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The fun of moding stuff soon gets changed to replacing worn out stuff with more reliable parts.

even body parts.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
The fun of moding stuff soon gets changed to replacing worn out stuff with more reliable parts.

GM spends 100’s of millions and years to develop and test the Vette so it is reliable and then some nOOb with a parts catalog and a couple thousand dollars burning a hole in his pocket and a couple spare weekends

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Class Structure Help.....Please.