Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tragmate/dash, AIM Pista, iphone???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 01:04 PM
raam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tragmate/dash, AIM Pista, iphone???

Maybe you can help me decide:

I am building a pretty nuts but still primarily an HPDE and sometimes TT car and my budget is pretty shot for now but more funds will come in during the rest of the build. I do not want something that is a huge task to figure out, use, etc...simple is best.

Looking at the AIM Pista and gear to use it, found one new for a nice savings, the design is a few years old and the display is a bit hard for me to see.

Traqmate, seems easier to read, a bit less money.

Get a new big cell phone and the cheap apps, GPS antenna, etc......

Let me know what you think about these or another solution, please

I am well over 4x the original budget plan on this car, spending the least for the most on this would be a nice thing for my bank accounts.

Thanks
Rick
Old 11-04-2012, 06:35 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

traqmate is best bang for the buck and the new traqdash is pretty nice. AIM is probably the best on the market but, it also cost a lot.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Look into AIM SOLO. Cheaper than Traqmate.

Traqmate software is the most user friendly though.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:25 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Rick,

The traqmate, for the money, and being user friendly, is a pretty nice unit.

There are probably 3-4 people at Miller with traqmates. George being one of them. Give him a call and get his input.

For lap times AIM solo. It also can be OBD friendly but I think your ECU unit may be too old to read all the functions. I think they list the ECU capability on their website.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 AM
raam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys
I need to go back and setup PM notifications as not getting them, I was pretty sure I had done so!

After some serious digging there is a hint of evidence AIM will be showing a replacement for the MLX at PRI in December so holding off until I see what may come out.

Traqmate is a great unit but a bit limited in some aspects as is the AIM solo.

Car is a 95 M3 with a 2003 M3, S54 engine, stand alone engine management I am still figuring out some of the wiring on. If not for wanting to be able to run with the BMW club at some events I would of swapped to the LS6 I had a custom race harness and tuned ECU for. I will have plenty of power as close to 400 at the crank and around 2250 lbs weight.

I do not know yet if I will have OBD II interface.

Thanks again, have a great day
Rick
Old 11-29-2012, 12:31 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have a recent stand alone then it probably has a CAN interface. Any of the more serious dataloggers can handle a CAN input. But, this CAN info will not give you what you need (brake press, steering wheel angle, TPS, among others) b/c it is only getting info from the ECU.

Even with a GPS and rpm type setup, you need to invest some time in understanding what the data means. Or hire someone to interpret it.

AIM stuff looks nice but it pricey. Consider a Race Technology DL-1 (even the older models) if you don't need a dash (or add a Race Technology dash). The software is very powerful, the flip side is that it takes a little while to learn. Very easy to use once you get the hang of it.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:57 PM
WSIRFan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raam
Thanks guys
I need to go back and setup PM notifications as not getting them, I was pretty sure I had done so!

After some serious digging there is a hint of evidence AIM will be showing a replacement for the MLX at PRI in December so holding off until I see what may come out.

Traqmate is a great unit but a bit limited in some aspects as is the AIM solo.

Car is a 95 M3 with a 2003 M3, S54 engine, stand alone engine management I am still figuring out some of the wiring on. If not for wanting to be able to run with the BMW club at some events I would of swapped to the LS6 I had a custom race harness and tuned ECU for. I will have plenty of power as close to 400 at the crank and around 2250 lbs weight.

I do not know yet if I will have OBD II interface.

Thanks again, have a great day
Rick
'95 M3 is OBDI. I have one that we are changing to S54 after I managed to blow up my 430WHP S52. I've been using a Traqmate
for a while and am quite happy with it. I don't need real time data.
I just use it post session to see where I can go faster without employing the "just charge in and see how it goes" approach.

Get notified of new replies

To Tragmate/dash, AIM Pista, iphone???

Quick Reply: Tragmate/dash, AIM Pista, iphone???