Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does the airdam reduce drag?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:52 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default does the airdam reduce drag?

While the airdam obviously adds drag by being in the way, I have also read that by reducing the amount of air coming under the car, an airdam can help reduce drag.

Looking at the katech aero charts, when they removed the airdam to put the undertray that connects to the front splitter, they had more drag than with the splitter and airdam alone.

report:
http://www.katechengines.com/street_...a%20report.pdf

any thoughts on this?

Old 11-10-2012, 07:35 PM
WesTenRacing
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keeping air out from under any car greatly increases the aero over allowing air under the car. Just look at any landspeed car. They go to great lengths to push the rules to the limit to allow the largest air dam possible.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:41 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

less turbulence under the car. Pickup trucks gain near a mpg when they put on a air dam & or lower it.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:31 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

in bottom breathers, the OEM air dam deflects air into the radiator. I personally feel it is useless in the C6Z06, although a prominent Corvette engineer tells me that it somehow deflects flow toward the brakes (not the ducts, but directly to the brakes).
Old 11-15-2012, 06:32 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

The air dam on the Z06/ZR1/GS cars are all there for MPG, nothing else. If anything they create a small amount of lift to the car.

On a land speed car, you'll notice that air dam is right at the nose of the car, not 2 feet behind it allowing it to pick up on the body work.

On a base C6 or C5 car, they are all bottom feeders, so pulling it off of those cars without seriously reworking the air flow through the radiator is going to upset the cooling for the car a lot.

Of course when adding a splitter to the car, it would be wise to remove, some if not all of it.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:59 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
The air dam on the Z06/ZR1/GS cars are all there for MPG, nothing else. If anything they create a small amount of lift to the car.

On a land speed car, you'll notice that air dam is right at the nose of the car, not 2 feet behind it allowing it to pick up on the body work.

On a base C6 or C5 car, they are all bottom feeders, so pulling it off of those cars without seriously reworking the air flow through the radiator is going to upset the cooling for the car a lot.

Of course when adding a splitter to the car, it would be wise to remove, some if not all of it.
Anthony, please forgive my lack of knowledge, but can you explain some of the differences in front end configuration between the base C6 and GS/Z06? I've never paid attention enough to take notes.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by taken19
Anthony, please forgive my lack of knowledge, but can you explain some of the differences in front end configuration between the base C6 and GS/Z06? I've never paid attention enough to take notes.
The base cars take in air for the radiator/oil cooler through both the grill and also the bottom side of the car. If you jack up the car you can see the radiator and the bottom of the nose is curved up into that area just like it is on a C5.

On the Z06/ZR1/GS cars this is blocked off, forcing all of the air into the radiator from the grill and not the bottom of the car...thus making it a front breather.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:30 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
The base cars take in air for the radiator/oil cooler through both the grill and also the bottom side of the car. If you jack up the car you can see the radiator and the bottom of the nose is curved up into that area just like it is on a C5.

On the Z06/ZR1/GS cars this is blocked off, forcing all of the air into the radiator from the grill and not the bottom of the car...thus making it a front breather.
I get that part and have seen that design on the base model, but is that the only difference? Could a base model guy put on a splitter that covers up the bottom feeding channel and have the same cooling capacity as a GS/Z06? Your first post almost sounded like much more significant changes were needed to maintain adequate cooling (at least for the track).

Your thoughts?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

gs and z06 have large external oil coolers added. ZR1 and some Z06s come with water cooled oil coolers. Base models get neither, although in the past they have gotten oil coolers on the z51 packages which at first were just an oil line running through the radiator like an auto trans cooler, then later the z51 oil cooling setup was changed to a mini version of the external cooler that the z06 got.

I havent compared them in person but from images the opening of the bumper looks the same size as the base. I think its the extra oil cooler and the effect that the front splitter has on the air that helps the temperatures out.

Last edited by el es tu; 11-15-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:40 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by el es tu
gs and z06 have large external oil coolers added. ZR1 and some Z06s come with water cooled oil coolers. Base models get neither, although in the past they have gotten oil coolers on the z51 packages which at first were just oil ines runnning through the radiator, then later it was a mini version of the external cooler that the z06 got.

Good info. Let me clarify then...

I have a 2005 with a dry sump LS3 and Z06 oil cooler. I struggle with getting oil temps up on the street (i made a custom oil cooler shield to help) but keeping them below 270F on the track is a challenge here in south Florida.

If I decided to get a front splitter and lose the air dam, would I suffer any cooling penalty or would the "front feeder" aspect of this setup not increase oil (and coolant) temps?

Sorry to be vague in the first couple posts, I was looking for generic differences so I could apply to my setup.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by taken19
Good info. Let me clarify then...

I have a 2005 with a dry sump LS3 and Z06 oil cooler. I struggle with getting oil temps up on the street (i made a custom oil cooler shield to help) but keeping them below 270F on the track is a challenge here in south Florida.

If I decided to get a front splitter and lose the air dam, would I suffer any cooling penalty or would the "front feeder" aspect of this setup not increase oil (and coolant) temps?

Sorry to be vague in the first couple posts, I was looking for generic differences so I could apply to my setup.
I assume you mean front splitter and undertray?

I think it would heat up more in in slow or stopped traffic than it does now because there is little air flow (which might help you warm up problem - other option is get an oil cooler radiator which will act as a warmer on a cold start up and then run the exit lines to the external cooler). But at speed I think the splitter would force more air into the front of the bumper and help keep things cool (although it might not be as cool as with the front and bottom openings).

Hopefully someone with first hand experience can expand on this...
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

My car is a Z51. I moved to a Z06 cooler to help on the track. My main concern is track temps as the car is 80-90% track now. The Z06 cooler prevented me from taking cool down laps mid session but if I push hard, I can still hit 270F with 11.5 qts of oil on tap.

I'd really like to know if moving from a base model setup to a front splitter (air dam delete) will help street AND track...

I may be an isolated case as I haven't converted my car to track only.... Yet. Maybe the wife will let me cage it for XmasI love you honey (if you're monitoring my addiction...)!!!! Hope Santa is listening after the BBK is done...
Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My guess is that you need a better oil cooler. Setrab 34 or 40 row with -10 lines. You should get plenty of air flow if you only front feed (assuming no obstructions). Going to a single big puller fan will help too.

Since you have a dry sump (what kind??) - you can run a second oil cooler on the run from the scavenge to the tank.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:17 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
My guess is that you need a better oil cooler. Setrab 34 or 40 row with -10 lines. You should get plenty of air flow if you only front feed (assuming no obstructions). Going to a single big puller fan will help too.

Since you have a dry sump (what kind??) - you can run a second oil cooler on the run from the scavenge to the tank.
Yeah, I kinda figured that. I was thinking of a Finspeed cooler or Setrab in the future.

I'm only running a stock LS3 dry sump from a 2012 GS. I have added the Avaid baffle in the oil tank and plan on adding the oil pan baffle when I find a reason to break into the motor. My fog lights are already taken from brake duct cooling so no double cooler for me right now. As soon as the car becomes track only, the interior will get stripped, AC out and everything else that isn't needed. Then I will probably address the oil cooling.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:56 PM
JackBFL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi taken19,

I have a C5 Z06 with the stock air dam, and suffered oil temperatures at Homestead that would be at 280+ degrees after only six laps. I purchased an external oil cooler from Mr. Henry Gilbert of 'Hooked On Driving' located in the Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale area.

It is a seven quart total system now, and I add an extra quart just for good measure. From constantly looking at the oil temperature every lap in the past, I almost never look at it now as it runs 230ish even in the hot summer months.

I hope this helps sir,

Jack
Old 11-16-2012, 06:16 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Actually found a pic from another thread on here..

Z06/ZR1/GS nose (from dfinke23)

Base C6...notice you can see the radiator...

The C6 and Z06 grill opening is close, but the Z's should be slightly bigger. For what you are doing with the car I do not think you would have any issues blocking that off, and if you are going to install a splitter, you should block it off and pull the air dam.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:25 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JackBFL
Hi taken19,

I have a C5 Z06 with the stock air dam, and suffered oil temperatures at Homestead that would be at 280+ degrees after only six laps. I purchased an external oil cooler from Mr. Henry Gilbert of 'Hooked On Driving' located in the Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale area.

It is a seven quart total system now, and I add an extra quart just for good measure. From constantly looking at the oil temperature every lap in the past, I almost never look at it now as it runs 230ish even in the hot summer months.

I hope this helps sir,

Jack
Good info! I know Henry, I'll have to ask him about it. It may wait until the car becomes track only since I think it will keep temps too low on the street.

That looks like turn 6 at HMS in your avatar. Also, I see that red Ferrari behind you almost everytime I'm there - very fast. I've clocked him running high 1:20's at Homestead!

Get notified of new replies

To does the airdam reduce drag?

Old 11-17-2012, 02:15 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
in bottom breathers, the OEM air dam deflects air into the radiator. I personally feel it is useless in the C6Z06, although a prominent Corvette engineer tells me that it somehow deflects flow toward the brakes (not the ducts, but directly to the brakes).
Not sure how it would deflect air toward the brakes. The ZR1 and Z07 cars have deflectors on the lower control arms but they don't have air dams. The air dam would definitely create a high pressure area below the brake duct entrance which would push air into and through the ducts. If you removed the air dam that flow would stop.

Bill
Old 11-17-2012, 06:09 PM
JackBFL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"That looks like turn 6 at HMS in your avatar. Also, I see that red Ferrari behind you almost everytime I'm there - very fast. I've clocked him running high 1:20's at Homestead!". taken19

That's the turn, and if you look closely there is a 2013 McLaren tucked under my rear bumper. LOL if you think that after unwinding the wheel I was still in front of them! They passed me and after coming out of turn 8, they were already turning down into turn 10. Oh well.

I have 40+ track events, and one thing I learned is that Henry Gilbert knows Corvettes regarding track days and racing more than any person I have ever met. He is an honest, and extremely knowledgeable person along with a professional race car driver that will never lead me astray.

My HPDE Corvette page with Homestead stuff if you want to take a gander sir. In advance... I NEVER said I was fast!

http://www.fishme.com/vettez06.htm It ain't that exciting.

Jack
Old 11-17-2012, 06:37 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JackBFL
"That looks like turn 6 at HMS in your avatar. Also, I see that red Ferrari behind you almost everytime I'm there - very fast. I've clocked him running high 1:20's at Homestead!". taken19

That's the turn, and if you look closely there is a 2013 McLaren tucked under my rear bumper. LOL if you think that after unwinding the wheel I was still in front of them! They passed me and after coming out of turn 8, they were already turning down into turn 10. Oh well.

I have 40+ track events, and one thing I learned is that Henry Gilbert knows Corvettes regarding track days and racing more than any person I have ever met. He is an honest, and extremely knowledgeable person along with a professional race car driver that will never lead me astray.

My HPDE Corvette page with Homestead stuff if you want to take a gander sir. In advance... I NEVER said I was fast!

http://www.fishme.com/vettez06.htm It ain't that exciting.

Jack
Jack, I think you were the one who offered to let me use your HANS a couple weeks ago. Your car and the others on the photos on your site are far too familiar for us not to have met at this point... I've got the orange C6 that drove with HOD 3 weeks ago.

Quick Reply: does the airdam reduce drag?