Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:03 PM
C6Vette1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HPDE alignment?

I have a 2008 Z51 and will be running an HPDE. I was told to add some negative camber, and add toe out to the front and toe in to the rear as follows:

Front
Camber -1.6
Caster 7.9
Toe -0.15

Rear
Camber -1.0
Toe +0.09

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

That's a good starting place.

It depends on what tires you are using and how hard you are driving. Grippier tires and harder drivers will need more negative camber (about -.4 deg more).

But I'd start where you are since if you don't do that much you will ruin your front tires in pretty short order.

Watch the wear on the outside front tire and as you progress to grippier tires and learn to drive to the max capability of the car you can add some more.

The toe out will eat tires on the street, so you should mark the tie rods and turn them equally a turn or a turn and a towards toe in for street driving and then turn them to toe out on the track.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Take a look at these recommendations from the guys at Pfadt Racing.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-9.12.2011.pdf

Good luck!

Bill
Old 11-11-2012, 09:26 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

with Bill - Pfadt's alignment data is very good!!

Just be sure to note the info at the top of their page where they say "Negative toe measurements indicate toe-in".

And, their recommendations include toe in up front, whereas many owners that track their cars (including me) will set toe out up front for turn-in.

Most alignment shops use "negative" to indicate toe out, so be sure to highlight that info if you take the Pfadt data to your shop (or note it yourself if you do DIY alignments).

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 11-11-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 AM
C6Vette1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Solofast
That's a good starting place.

It depends on what tires you are using and how hard you are driving. Grippier tires and harder drivers will need more negative camber (about -.4 deg more).

But I'd start where you are since if you don't do that much you will ruin your front tires in pretty short order.

Watch the wear on the outside front tire and as you progress to grippier tires and learn to drive to the max capability of the car you can add some more.

The toe out will eat tires on the street, so you should mark the tie rods and turn them equally a turn or a turn and a towards toe in for street driving and then turn them to toe out on the track.
I'll be running street tires: BFG KDW's. Which way do you rotate the tie rod to change toe in/out? Thanks.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:01 PM
C6Vette1
Advanced

Originally Posted by BEZ06
with Bill - Pfadt's alignment data is very good!!

Just be sure to note the info at the top of their page where they say "Negative toe measurements indicate toe-in".

And, their recommendations include toe in up front, whereas many owners that track their cars (including me) will set toe out up front for turn-in.

Most alignment shops use "negative" to indicate toe out, so be sure to highlight that info if you take the Pfadt data to your shop (or note it yourself if you do DIY alignments).

Bob
The local shop that was recommended to me uses Hunter Hawkeye and the tech said (-) negative was toe out. Would that be correct for that equipment?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6Vette1
I'll be running street tires: BFG KDW's. Which way do you rotate the tie rod to change toe in/out? Thanks.
To add toe out you rotate the tie rod counter clockwise looking from the inside towards the outside of the car. To say it another way, the tie rod ends are both normal right hand threads. Just think about is as the tie rod end being fixed and you are unscrewing the tie rod from it with normal threads.

I set 1/8 of an inch of total toe IN for street driving and mark the tie rods with a stripe of nail polish then turn each tie rod one full turn towards toe out for track duty. The amount of toe out you want is like salt or pepper. Season to taste... If you want more toe out on the track try a bit more...
Old 11-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

The local shop that was recommended to me uses Hunter Hawkeye and the tech said (-) negative was toe out. Would that be correct for that equipment?
You are cool, just remember that you never want to toe the rear out and you will be ok...
Old 11-11-2012, 12:25 PM
C6Vette1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Solofast
To add toe out you rotate the tie rod counter clockwise looking from the inside towards the outside of the car. To say it another way, the tie rod ends are both normal right hand threads. Just think about is as the tie rod end being fixed and you are unscrewing the tie rod from it with normal threads.

I set 1/8 of an inch of total toe IN for street driving and mark the tie rods with a stripe of nail polish then turn each tie rod one full turn towards toe out for track duty. The amount of toe out you want is like salt or pepper. Season to taste... If you want more toe out on the track try a bit more...
Understood. Do you happen to known how much one full turn translates to in terms of degrees?
Old 11-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Understood. Do you happen to known how much one full turn translates to in terms of degrees?
No, since I do most of my own alignments with string I'm measuring toe with a tape measure and not in degrees.

I did go thru the geometry once and figured that it was either a half or a full turn on each side was a change that was worth about 1/4 of an inch in total toe change, or from 1/8 in to 1/8 out... I just don't remember the math, but that's what I recall. And about 1 turn seems to give you a manageable amount of toe out, but that's going by feel on A6's. Like I said, you may want more or less, depending on how you want the car to handle.

Last edited by Solofast; 11-11-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I've heard that each "flat" is worth 1/32" inch
Old 11-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd also reassess how many hpde's you plan to do...if only 1 or 2 per year, then the pfadt agressive street specs might make more sense than the more aggressive, hpde focused set up.

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE alignment?

Quick Reply: HPDE alignment?