Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Austin F1 this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Austin F1 this weekend!

I'll be there, hope to see many of you.

In today's WSJ:

AUTO RACING
Updated November 14, 2012, 7:14 p.m. ET
The Best Little Road Course in Texas

Purpose-Built Track Gives Formula One New Hope in the U.S..

By A.J. BAIME

Getty Images for Red Bull
A Red Bull Formula One show car in front of the Texas Capitol.
Austin, Texas

On Sunday, the world of international motor-sport will turn its helmeted eyes to, of all places, Texas.

It is here that Formula One—the richest and most popular form of racing on the planet—will return to the U.S. for the first time since 2007, unleashing some 17,000 horsepower on pavement that is barely dry.

The 2012 U.S. Grand Prix will take place at the new $400 million Circuit of the Americas—the first purpose-built F1 racetrack in this country. It is the latest attempt in F1's quest to establish a foothold in America—the most important realm it hasn't conquered.

As luck would have it, the world championship can be clinched in Austin, which has assured the race a strong turnout. Still, in a sense, the most important race already has been won: that which the promoters faced in their own white-knuckled battle to finish the circuit in time. It is a plot with as many twists as the 3.4-mile track itself.

It all started in 2010 when a group of investors drummed up a quixotic plan to lure F1 back to the U.S. with a circuit outside Austin. They recruited Texas tycoon Red McCombs, the former owner of the Minnesota Vikings and San Antonio Spurs, and approached Bernie Ecclestone, F1's mercurial leader.

Ecclestone had a rocky history in this country. Nine U.S. cities have hosted F1, but each event has failed due to poor facilities and contract disputes. For F1, which races in Asia, Australia, Europe, South America—virtually everywhere but here—the U.S. market is a wellspring of fans and money.

A contract was signed in 2010. But as the project moved along, rumors surfaced that construction was way behind. Then came financial problems. In November 2011, Ecclestone crossed the Austin race off the calendar, stopping the bulldozers in their tracks.

A new set of investors came in, headed by local businessman Bobby Epstein, who joined with McCombs and negotiated a new contract with Ecclestone. At one point, Epstein estimated that the race had a 5% chance.

But with new funding in place, construction continued. On Oct. 21, the promoters organized a christening ceremony complete with rides around the circuit courtesy of Mario Andretti, the only living American F1 champion. At the time, backhoes were still hurling dirt around.

If ever there were a season for F1's return, this is it. The U.S. Grand Prix is the penultimate race on the 2012 calendar. The championship has come down to a duel between Germany's Sebastian Vettel (of the Red Bull team) and Spain's Fernando Alonso (Ferrari). Vettel, the two-time defending F1 champion, holds a 10-point lead, meaning he can clinch the title if he places well ahead of Alonso on Sunday.

A third straight title for the 25-year-old Vettel would put him in the ranks of the best of all time. Alonso has managed to lead in points much of this season despite piloting a less-competitive car. He is fighting to bring the trophy back to Ferrari, the most successful team in F1 history, for the first time since 2004.

"This season has been the best in my memory in terms of being unpredictable and different teams that were not expected to be great coming alive," said Andretti. "You can't write a script like this. The championship could unfold right on our own track."

When the checkered flag waves Sunday, the future of F1 in this country should become clearer. Promoters are expecting between 110,000 and 120,000 spectators Sunday, the climax of three days of racing and events, including a music festival headlined by Aerosmith. Tickets for the race are nearly sold out, according to track officials.

Austin's Circuit of the Americas has a contract to host F1 through 2021. In 2014, F1 is planning a second U.S. race in Weehawken, N.J., against the backdrop of Manhattan. That race was scheduled for June 2013 but was pushed back—a testament to how hard it is to host F1.

Compared with Nascar's traditional oval tracks and closed wheel cars, every F1 circuit is a winding roller coaster and every car a unique open-wheel marvel of technology. "An F1 car is like a fighter jet—the technology, the G-force, the quickness," said Scott Speed, the last American driver to compete in F1 (2007), who has since competed in Nascar. "Nascar feels more like a 747."

The concern is whether these events will pay for themselves—whether F1 once again will fail to resonate here despite its wild popularity overseas. Another drawback: no American drivers. Though McCombs initially said it was "imperative" that an American be on the grid in Austin, there won't be any.

"The sport isn't relevant here," said Speed. "We have the NFL, hockey, IndyCar, Nascar and drag racing. Other countries don't have that infrastructure of entertainment."

Clearly the checkered flag isn't all that is at stake in Austin. "If we can get traction [in the U.S.] and people enjoy our sport then it's going to be fantastic," said Red Bull F1 driver Mark Webber, who is fourth in the standings entering Austin. "It's the most popular motor sport in the world and that's a very important and I suppose precious market for us."

Andretti is optimistic. "It never had a steady home," he said of F1 in the U.S. "Finally it'll have a proper home."
Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 AM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't wait. Finally back in the USA!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lainey, AJ Aquilante, our friend JT and I are headed out today. Staying with Aaron and Robbin Pfadt in downtown Austin. We can't wait!!! The weather looks great, 69-70 degrees with no precip in the forecast...

Old 11-15-2012, 11:35 AM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already here in the RV.

Going to shoot some skeet near the track and maybe get a burger at Wild Bubbas if it isn't too crowded with all the tourists.

Then I'll be wandering around the track for 3 days and watching the race from turn 5.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 AM
0Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be there with a family member who is racing his 1976 Lotus 77 in the Historic GP. I will be in T1 for the F1 race. I can't wait.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:33 PM
jcosta79
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby @ LG Motorsports
I will be there with a family member who is racing his 1976 Lotus 77 in the Historic GP. I will be in T1 for the F1 race. I can't wait.
Take lots of pics!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by jcosta79
Take lots of pics!
Pics....he has pit passes...I want stuff signed!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:22 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Get pics of Diffuses, Wings, and any other aero stuff you can.

Oh yah Grid Girls too
Old 11-15-2012, 06:50 PM
HZ06
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 52 Posts

Cant wait!! going Austin tomorrow
Old 11-16-2012, 02:28 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Holy cow, it is actually happening!!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:03 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Cant wait !

Saturday and Sunday
Old 11-16-2012, 04:56 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm here and enjoyed practice today. I'm near turn 4 in the stands.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 PM
jcosta79
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Pics....he has pit passes...I want stuff signed!
Especially one from a certain older, German fellow.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:14 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friday practice was amazing, I can't wait for a track day here!

Qualifying and the race are going to be awesome.

Matt

Last edited by MJM; 11-17-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I'm here and enjoyed practice today. I'm near turn 4 in the stands.
So am I.

Turn 4 stands, section 7, row 17.

Amazing facility. More impressive in person than in videos or pictures, although you can see where they could've used another month or two to really "finish" the place.

There are also some pretty nice walkaround spectating viewpoints, particularly along the front straight and on the outside of the entrance into turn one.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:44 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

The Speed guys are all over themselves on how great the track is.

Got to watch both Practice 1 AND 2 this race.

Jealous of you guys but I am planning on next year.

Please provide details, where to stay, getting to/from track etc.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:41 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great first day, looking forward to tomorrow, we are in turn 11. Gorgeous track, can't wait for a chance to drive it, I think the BMWCCA guys will get out here in march!

Get notified of new replies

To Austin F1 this weekend!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
The Speed guys are all over themselves on how great the track is.
Well this is ONE event they got to go too.

the speed boyz do the F1 races from the Charlotte NC Speed TV studio.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

OT, but Autoweek reports that Leigh Diffey, Hobbs and Matchet will be the F1 broadcast team next year on NBC

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...n=awdailydrive
Old 11-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

And they are doing THIS race from Charlotte, too

Z//

Quick Reply: Austin F1 this weekend!