Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15 inch trailer tires that don't blow out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 01:25 AM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 15 inch trailer tires that don't blow out?

Hello,

I've been running ST225/75R15 E rated Carlisle trailer tires for many years on a 10,000 lb trailer with good results. I recently replaced the tires with same brand same rating and have had 3 blowouts in the last 3 trips, no changes to load or usage. I'm guessing quality control or cost cutting has gone haywire and Carlisle's now suck.

Yes I am running 80 psi cold, under max load, and not speeding.

My question is: does anyone know of a 15 inch E rated trailer tire that survives these days?

If not I will look to convert to 16 inch.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by MJM; 11-22-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:07 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't answer your quetion, but a friend recently had the same problem and discovered that his axles had bent and he was getting a tire rub causing the blowouts. Might be worth checking.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see this thread below
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...r-trailer.html
Old 11-22-2012, 11:46 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

are they ST tires? ST is for trailers and has different construction.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:53 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Special Trailer Tires Vs Passenger Tires
There are distinct differences in the way passenger tires and trailer tires are
designed, engineered, and constructed. There are also differences in the service
requirements between the tires on your car or truck and those on your trailer.
Traction, or grip, is a key element in the design of passenger tires. Traction
moves your car or truck down the road. Traction allows you to stop, turn and
swerve, and traction also gives you the ability to tow your trailer. Another
important consideration in passenger tire design is “ride”. Ride, traction, and
handling are all achieved in passenger tire designs by adding flex in the sidewall.
By making the sidewall more flexible, tire engineers maximize tread contact with
the road, thus increasing traction and allowing the driver to maintain better
control over the vehicle.
Traction is only a factor on trailers equipped with brakes, during braking
operations, because trailers are followers. In fact, sidewall flexing in a trailer
application is a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers carrying heavy loads;
trailers with high vertical side loads (enclosed/travel trailers); or trailers with light
tongue weights, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Automotive radial tires with
their flexible sidewalls notably accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer
sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) tires
helps control and reduce the occurrence of trailer sway. Bottom line, trailers are
more stable and pull better on tires designed specifically for trailer use.
Also consider that all Light Truck (LT) and Special Trailer (ST) tires are fully rated
for trailer applications. This means the tires can carry their full sidewall weight
rating when used on a trailer. When passenger tires are used on a trailer, the
load capacity of tire must be de-rated by 10%. If the tire has a maximum load
rating of 1900 lb., it may only be used in a trailer application up to 1710 lb. This
means the GAWR rating on the trailer Certification Label must not exceed 3420
lbs. On a single axle trailer, or 2 times 1710 lbs.
For trailer use, it is important to match the tires to the application and payload.
Since Special Trailer (ST) tires are constructed with more and heavier materials,
they are tougher and more bruise resistant than typical passenger tires. This is a
plus because trailer suspension systems are generally stiffer and less
sophisticated than automotive suspension systems. A tire designed to operate in
the more demanding trailer environment will provide end users a longer service
life and withstand the added abuse tires on a trailer experience.
Bias ply Special Trailer tire technology has been moving trailers around America
for nearly 30 years, and more recently, the ST Radial arrived on the scene
providing the same durability and dependability in a radial trailer tire. For many
trailer buyers, tire decisions are purely price based. The allure of an equal price
and the word “radial” for that price draws some customers to the passenger tire.
Taskmaster hopes this explanation of the differences will help you make a more
informed decision on your next trailer tire purchase.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires

Lea esta página en español

There are differences in the driving requirements between the tires on your trailer and those on the car or light truck you used to tow it. Therefore there are distinct differences between the way trailer tires and tow vehicle tires are engineered.

Your tow vehicle is a leader, which means traction is a key focus in the design of its tires. Traction allows your tow vehicle to accelerate down the road, turn around the corner and brake to a stop. Another important consideration is tow vehicle tires are designed for ride comfort, which is achieved in part by allowing their sidewalls to flex.

Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.

Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.

However when P-metric or Euro-metric tires are used on a trailer, the load capacity branded on the sidewalls must be reduced by 9%. This means P-metric or Euro-metric tires with a maximum branded load rating of 1,874 lbs. for use on a car is only rated to carry 1,705 lbs. when used on a trailer.

Comparing the load capacities of a pair of tires of the same dimensions fitted to a single axle trailer, ST225/75R15 Load Range C-sized tires inflated to their maximum of 50 psi provide 4,300 lbs. of load capacity, where P225/75R15 Standard Load-sized tires inflated to their maximum of 35 psi would be limited to 3,410 lbs. of load capacity, a total reduction of 890 pounds.

Trailers will be more stable and pull better on tires designed specifically for trailer use. Since Special Trailer (ST) tires are constructed with heavier duty materials, they are tougher than typical passenger vehicle tires. This is a plus because trailer suspension systems are generally stiffer and less sophisticated than automotive suspension systems.

Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings

Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.

However industry standards also stipulate, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h), it is necessary to increase their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

Do not exceed the wheel’s maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.

More Tire Tech Information

Most Popular Links
Old 11-22-2012, 11:58 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Buy a LT tires from Michelin in what fits your rim. They won't be cheap. As stated above LT / light truck tires can be run on a trailer.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:45 PM
MJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Canam
Yes, I split this discussion off since it applies to 15 inch tires only.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:50 PM
MJM
Drifting

Yes they are ST
Old 11-23-2012, 03:34 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not making a case for P-metric tires, but I built a (rather heavy) trailer in 1977 that I towed all over the country for probably 25 years on P235R/75 15 tires with never a blow out. Plenty of load rating. Trailer followed very well. I may have replaced the tires once but not sure. One thing that has not been mentioned here is that putting miles on the tires is a GOOD thing. Keeps the tires flexing which is good for their life.
I've had numerous ST tires blow out.
My current trailering is with E rated ST tires on my open and 24' enclosed trailers except my stacker trailer which has J rated tires, but I rarely go over 60 mph with that rig.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:52 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I am running 15" MAXISS load range E with no problems. I have heard of problems with the Carlise that are made in China. Goodyear Marathons are good trailer tires if you can find some made in North America, not sure if they are available in 10 plys. I could not locate any 10 ply Goodyears.
Good Luck.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by speedwaywhite
I am running 15" MAXISS load range E with no problems. I have heard of problems with the Carlise that are made in China. Goodyear Marathons are good trailer tires if you can find some made in North America, not sure if they are available in 10 plys. I could not locate any 10 ply Goodyears.
Good Luck.
they are all made in China last few years. There are zero non-radial tires made in the USA now according to my tire supplier.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Sean81
6th Gear

Default Go to 16's

At 10,000 lbs, you are running pretty close to the max weight for ST225/75R15E's (approx. 2800 lbs each). If you can find a cheap set of 16" wheels, you will probably be much happier with the results, since ST235/80R16E's are rated closer to 3500lbs each. Even Goodyear Marathons are all made in China these days, so it pays to buy yourself some breathing room on the quality control issue.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.trailertires.com
Old 11-24-2012, 06:32 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Z11409
has three sizes of 15" GY radials.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Z11409
That website sells the same ST205/75D-15 15" bias ply tires that came on my new CargoMate trailer. The only thing on the tire is "H188" for a label and no mention of a corporate name. But it is labeled "Made in China".

So, is there any particular benefit/drawback with running bias ply tires compared to an equivalent (size and load rating) radial tire?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:51 PM
TDBurke
Intermediate

Maxxis 10 plys here.

The joke with the GY is that they're called Marathons because they only last 26 miles.

I've also heard of folks having great success with tires from UHaul. They have a tire that is built exclusively for them and is likely the most indestructible of any trailer tire if you think of all the under-inflated and overloaded UHaul trailers there are rolling down the road.

Get notified of new replies

To 15 inch trailer tires that don't blow out?

Old 11-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=TDBurke;1582409279]Maxxis 10 plys here.

The joke with the GY is that they're called Marathons because they only last 26 miles.

I
Goodyear Hi-Miler CT176 LRF Trailer Tire 5.5 x 15 Rim. These tires were custom made for U-Haul Trailers by Goodyear . Size 700 x 15. Have seen them on sale at E-Bay
Old 01-02-2016, 07:54 PM
yammer
1st Gear

Default Goodyear Trl Tires

Bought 4 GY Marathons (made in China) 225/75/15 D-rated in Aug 2010. About 25,000 miles on the front axles, about 25 to 30% tread left. Got about 15,000 miles out of them on rear axles. No blowouts either axle. Pulling a 2-axle trailer that weighs aprox 5600lbs empty with aprox 2500lbs of stuff in it.

Bought a Saffiro (made in China) 225/75/15 D-rated last January. About 3300 miles on it and it was down to about 25% tread left. Went back to Goodyear tire store. Manager replaced it with the same Saffiro, same size, but an E-rated, for his cost, no mount and balance charge. $64.00 total.

Don't know if *** Too Soon was out of whatever chemical/compound that makes a tire last that day at King Fing Foo Mfg and just said "*** it, make it anyway, Hop Sing", or Saffiros just don't last. Will find out with this replacement. Not to rag on China only. Most Americans do the same kinda crap. I had a GY Marathon (made in Canada). It developed a sidewall separation.

Last edited by yammer; 01-02-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:58 AM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been having good luck with Maxxis trailer tires (15 in load range E). Just bought my second set, I replace every 5 years. Availability is pretty good on line, (discount tire, Amazon) and locally here in Florida. Also running 80 PSI and 65MPH max per Maxxis.
Good luck on your search!

Originally Posted by MJM
Hello,

I've been running ST225/75R15 E rated Carlisle trailer tires for many years on a 10,000 lb trailer with good results. I recently replaced the tires with same brand same rating and have had 3 blowouts in the last 3 trips, no changes to load or usage. I'm guessing quality control or cost cutting has gone haywire and Carlisle's now suck.

Yes I am running 80 psi cold, under max load, and not speeding.

My question is: does anyone know of a 15 inch E rated trailer tire that survives these days?

If not I will look to convert to 16 inch.

Thanks,
Matt

Quick Reply: 15 inch trailer tires that don't blow out?