Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

family wants to get me a racing suit for xmas, what should i get

Old 11-22-2012, 07:36 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default family wants to get me a racing suit for xmas, what should i get

I'm getting my feet wet at this point and want to get a one piece suit, gloves, shoes, socks, and the balaclava. I don't think they want to spend more than about $500 and if that doesn't get it all then ill fill in the gaps.

Biggest thing about my situation is I live in SC and it gets HOT! I know safety is the highest priority but if someone has a suit they use that isnt terribly hot that would be best. I dont need anything super nice, just functional. I will end up with a cool suit by summer i believe anyway.

Im seeing suits that range from 250 for the gloves/suit/shoes at racedaysafety, to stuff that well over a grand. The are all sfi rated the same and i am thinking i would go with a 2 layer one piece suit.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:26 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I have the Alpine Stars 2 piece, to me that is about minimum as far as safety. If I remember correctly it was around $700.00. I also wear the Oakley Nomex underwear long bottoms and long sleeves and of course the balaclava. When its in the 90's its hard to put all of it on but even with all of that you only have something like 7 seconds of fire protection. The cool shirt and helmet blower makes its possible for me to wear everything..
Old 11-23-2012, 08:13 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Wow 700 seems really expensive, why would it be so much more if it is put through the same tests and rated the same as another that cost $200? Would that be a comfort aspect? Or a durablity perhaps?

Have any companies done any additional testing to see how they hold up?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:42 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They can get a a LOT more expensive than $700.

I had read somewhere on the forum that you can get a custom made Simpson for about that.

As cost goes up, so does protection and breathability.

Jay
Old 11-23-2012, 10:32 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. My wife accompanied me to the Glen and there were three serious accidents so for the following Christmas, my safety gear got upgraded.

I see you are from SC so you probably run mostly events at RR, CMP, RA, VIR, etc. These tracks get really hot in the summer. The best race suit provides ZERO protection if it's hanging in the truck or trailer because it's just too dang hot to wear it.

I would suggest the best single layer suit you can afford because you'll get a lot more use out of it and a double layer.

As previously mentioned, a cool shirt would help. BTW, the new cool shirts seem to be more compatible with the Hans device since the cooling lines do not go over the shoulder areas.

Jim
Old 11-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
Im seeing suits that range from 250 for the gloves/suit/shoes at racedaysafety, to stuff that well over a grand. The are all sfi rated the same and i am thinking i would go with a 2 layer one piece suit.

Thanks for the advice.
I have 4 race suits that range from $400 to $1500. It may sound strange but a 3 or 4 layer suit will be more comfortable than a 1 or 2 layer which are basically horse blankets in terms of comfort . Do yourself a favor and get the lightest most comfortable suit you can afford, you will not regret it. Don't make your decision solely on price, it's critical your comfortable when driving, there's enough going on that you don't need any other distractions.

This is one of the best suits on the market currently IMO.

http://www.ompracing.com/detail.html...ctcode=IA01835.

I love it and have had many friends thank me for suggesting it. It may be a bit over what you think you want to spend, but it's well worth it. Very durable as well.

Also remember when trying suits on, there's a big difference standing in the store wearing it for 5 minutes versus being in the heat outside or in the car. Cool shirts are awesome but they don't help if a suit is thick and cumbersome.

Here's another good option from Sparco not as expensive as the OMP.

http://www.frsport.com/Sparco-001126...FYVFMgodYyAAmg

Good Luck,

Mike
Old 11-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Here's a link for those of us that don't speak Italian

http://www.ompracing.com/detail.html...ctcode=IA01835

Is that who makes your purple suit Mike?

Last edited by Poor-sha; 11-23-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Here's a link for those of us that don't speak Italian

http://www.ompracing.com/detail.html...ctcode=IA01835

Is that who makes your purple suit Mike?
Ha, thanks for English version Sean.

And no, the 'purple' suit is made by Sparco was originally silver until the UV rays hit it. Color change aside it's as comfortable as pajamas.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:48 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Discovery Parts. Discount for NASA members

http://www.discoveryparts.com/?referredfrom=NASASE
Old 11-23-2012, 04:24 PM
JackBFL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on your size, I have two new large single layer one piece suits. I'll give you one plus the shipping charge. Although both are large, they fit differently regarding the chest, waist, and inseam length.

That way your family can afford another layer of Nomex underwear, gloves, and shoes. Post your measurements, or P/M them to me.

I lost a great deal of weight on the 'DLOBADE' diet last year, so they are of no good to me now. I'll be happy they get a home for you or another member.

Jack
Old 11-23-2012, 09:10 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

This article is why I decided there was no way I was wearing a single layer suit! It is also why I wear the Carbon X long sleeve and long pants underwear, on a side note I have an onboard fire suppression system with 3 of the 6 nozzles pointed at me. I struggle to get out of my car in 10 seconds..
http://www.nasaproracing.com/proracing/suits.html
Old 11-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a 3-layer Sparco suit on clearance with the Carbon technology. It was originally $1500, but I picked it up from saferacer for $900. It was a model going out of production for a newer model. It's nice and cool even on a 90 degree day. Don't skimp on safety because of a price tag.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:28 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Well, its looking like the right suit is way out of their price range. But i agree, i want to be safe and comfortable. Ive already spent a ton on my sa2010 helmet, nexgen, seat, new belts that im about broke and wont have money to enter races.

So it looks like i need to tell my family to get me the other pieces and i will have to find a suit used that is close to my needs until i can afford something more. Thanks jack for the offer, hopefully you have something that will sort of fit me but from the sounds of it you are closer to my size now. W34/C40/H70"...

So the question is what do the nascar guys wear? Ive seen there are companies that buy up their suits, could i get one of theirs on the cheap and it would just have a little stank but would be safe and comfortable? How about suggestions for shoes and gloves to tell my family go get?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 AM
JackBFL
Advanced

I think it will fit you, and I'll give you a P/M later today when I get back home.

As far as gloves, I like the shorter ones as it make it easier to show the Stewart your wristband. Something like this... http://www.saferacer.com/sparco-land...productid=2017

I've had a half dozen shoes and my favorite is the Simpson oldie but goodie. I use the mid top, but that's just personal preference. It's also the number one selling racing shoe, so that says something in itself. http://www.saferacer.com/simpson-low...productid=1016

Jack
Old 11-24-2012, 07:02 PM
JackBFL
Advanced

Suit is being shipped.

Jack
Old 11-25-2012, 07:37 AM
msracing
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackBFL
Depending on your size, I have two new large single layer one piece suits. I'll give you one plus the shipping charge. Although both are large, they fit differently regarding the chest, waist, and inseam length.

That way your family can afford another layer of Nomex underwear, gloves, and shoes. Post your measurements, or P/M them to me.

I lost a great deal of weight on the 'DLOBADE' diet last year, so they are of no good to me now. I'll be happy they get a home for you or another member.

Jack
jack what is the DLObade Diet..Manny
Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 AM
JackBFL
Advanced

DLOB- Drink lot's of beer, and only eat once a day. You won't remember much and probably get fired, but you'll lose weight! I'm going to Homestead instead of Daytona next month, and I hope to see you there sir.

Jack

Get notified of new replies

To family wants to get me a racing suit for xmas, what should i get

Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I just got this email from SafeRacer. Maybe you should check this out.

"$900 Off Simpson World Suits
We've brought you super deals from Alpine Stars and Sparco on upper end suits, now we have one from Simpson! Regular price of $1499, Now only $599!!! The World suit has a great feel, it's lightweight, boot cut styling, and now a super price too!"
Old 11-26-2012, 03:01 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-rac...productid=2131
Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM
JackBFL
Advanced

If Mike and Gary are reading this... your free suits for only the cost of shipping have been sent to you today.

Be safe, have fun, and wear them!

Jack

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: family wants to get me a racing suit for xmas, what should i get