Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop replacing belt pullies, just grease them

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Stop replacing belt pullies, just grease them

Here's an alternative.

I know you guys with big race budgets will laugh, so this is for us budget racer guys.

Comment if you think this'll work or not, I think they're good as new compared to replacing with some lesser aftermarket (China) pullies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmb_eMpvidc

Old 12-01-2012, 12:42 AM
RogerT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for sharing the video with us.

Roger T
Old 12-01-2012, 04:29 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Old 12-01-2012, 10:57 AM
fcarga
Instructor

Ditto on the thank you!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:52 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by victorf
Froggy, no disrespect here, you always trying to contribute to the community, that is great!

Here are a couple of things I'd noticed on your video:

1. You are right not to spin dry bearings! But notice, you already have dried out, grease less bearings buddy! If bearing set sounds like marbles in a tin can when you spin it!

2. Noticed the lips on the pully is low, C6 has higher lip tensioner pully, which is a better subsituate for better belt retention. Rockauto has AC/DELCOs for cheap!

3. If you look closely on the surface of the pulley and bearing, although your C5 is by Chevy, high possibility, your pulley, as in the case of the OEM C6 pulley/bearing, is made in China.

---

Besides seals on both side of "Sealed" bearings are not meant to be remove/reinstall. Once broken, it will never be the same again! Better to inject and replenish grease with a hypo needle, its been done, without violating the seal, but process takes time! And still it is only for emergency, bottom line, if an "sealed" bearing grease needed to be replenish, then, new one is in order!

That said, since your bearing had been running dry for an unknown time, damage is already done - it doesn't take long to wear out the inner/outer race. Its not practical to repack it with grease. If you insisted on retaining the stock (Chinese) pulley, you can cross reference your bearing and get quality replacement from Japan, Europe or US. Not that expensive, easily done by pressing it out, plastic pulley body will give, then press new one in. If you are not sure about retention, put a drop of Loctite graded for bearing retention use.

---

Have you ever watch the tensioner when someone rev the engine, and see how the tensioner moves under torque?

Better alternative is to rid that wobbly OEM tensioner once and for all and put on Katech in its place. However, the pulley Katech used is identical to the OEM C6 pulley - Made in China!

---

Side note: Back in the '50's, Japanese products were a joke!

But US sent Mr. Deming to help Japan to help reconstruct the country after the War, Japan took Mr. Deming's Principle to heart. And today's product from Japan can rival anybody's!

Now, both S. Korea and China, instead of starting from scratch, hired consultants from US, Japan and other countries, so...Look out!

Sorry for the long wind folks!

No disrespect taken, thanks for the post. I'll respond some of your points.

1. I inspected the bearings closely (not microscope but very close) and they looked pretty good, if I had seen any visible scoring, roughness, etc. I would have tossed them.

2. Yes, the c6 design (lip) is better, no argument.

3. These oem are sourced from Canada, it doesn't show on the vid. but they were marked as such.

4. Grease injection would leave too much old degraded grease in the bearing & would possibly mix greases with different properties.

5. Reuse of the seals if "tricky" but as the "after" shot shows they looked pretty good.

6. I thought of replacing just the bearing, but it sort of defeats the purpose of my diy, which cost zero. By the time you add S&H& (maybe) tax the replacement bearing is near the cost of a (discounted) new pully from (say) Rock Auto.

7. Yep, the oem tensioner moves & if you live in the high rpm range you should replace with a manual adj. tensioner & a lipped pully.

8. I don't condem parts from any country in particular, it's all about the engineering spec. & quality control that is specified.

This is not for everyone and I am clear up front on that. Try it if you like or shake your head and move on.

I do appreciate your post and the discussion, I'm the kid that just had to take apart my toys at Xmas to see how they worked and "improve" them.

I will bet a steak dinner I get AT LEAST a couple of years more out of these say 10-20k miles plus I had fun doing it.

Thanks!

Last edited by froggy47; 12-01-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:54 PM
RogerT
Pro

Originally Posted by froggy47
No disrespect taken, thanks for the post. I'll respond some of your points.

1. I inspected the bearings closely (not microscope but very close) and they looked pretty good, if I had seen any visible scoring, roughness, etc. I would have tossed them.

2. Yes, the c6 design (lip) is better, no argument.

3. These oem are sourced from Canada, it doesn't show on the vid. but they were marked as such.

4. Grease injection would leave too much old degraded grease in the bearing & would possibly mix greases with different properties.

5. Reuse of the seals if "tricky" but as the "after" shot shows they looked pretty good.

6. I thought of replacing just the bearing, but it sort of defeats the purpose of my diy, which cost zero. By the time you add S&H& (maybe) tax the replacement bearing is near the cost of a (discounted) new pully from (say) Rock Auto.

7. Yep, the oem tensioner moves & if you live in the high rpm range you should replace with a manual adj. tensioner & a lipped pully.

8. I don't condem parts from any country in particular, it's all about the engineering spec. & quality control that is specified.

This is not for everyone and I am clear up front on that. Try it if you like or shake your head and move on.

I do appreciate your post and the discussion, I'm the kid that just had to take apart my toys at Xmas to see how they worked and "improve" them.

I will bet a steak dinner I get AT LEAST a couple of years more out of these say 10-20k miles plus I had fun doing it.

Thanks!

Froggy, very classy response.

Roger T
Old 12-01-2012, 08:06 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Thanks, I don't mind "rebuttles" like victorf at all, he made some good points.

Speaking in general terms, not to anyone specific, I find that when guys come up with stuff like this, there will always be a post or two that takes either of the following positions:

A) It's not in the factory service manual so you can't do that,

or

B)When I got my ME degree in 19xx we learned that your car will crash and burn if/when you reach xxx rpm's at ambient temps of xx deg F. if you do that.

That's all fine, I just go on my merry way (self taught - trial & error) and offer up what works for me & also the failures, you learn from both.

I think this is a easy little winter project for guys who understand preventative maintenance and want to save a few bucks to spend on tires instead of other parts.

PS It's so nice to fire up that ls6 now & not hear the squeak, yay.

Last edited by froggy47; 12-02-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:41 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Another FYI:

I just googled Amazon - my favorite place to shop w/free shipping to Hawaii!

---

6203-2NSE Nachi Bearing 17x40x12 Sealed C3 Japan Ball Bearings

By VXB
5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2 customer reviews) | Like (0)
Price: $8.55 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
Want it delivered Tuesday, December 4? Order it in the next 29 hours and 9 minutes, and choose Priority Shipping at checkout. Details
Ordering for Christmas? To ensure delivery by December 24 choose FREE Super Saver Shipping at checkout. Read more about holiday shipping.

---

NTN 6203 is same as J37FE, price can range from as low as $3 ea.!

Ok, enough, I gotta go and mill the spacers!
That's a great find, way to go.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

froggy47, roger that respectfully! One tinker to the other! We would have fun being neighbors.

I also loved it when people takes position and states with their degrees or XX years under their belt to emphasis!

---

Another FYI:

My C6 tensioner was also sourced from Canada and the sealed bearing J37FE has Canada ID'ed on the outer race as well.

But the plastic pulley has no IDs and in every respect, both visual and dimensional wise, identical to the Katech one. Bearing used in the Katech tensioner has China ID'ed on outer race. I'd check that with Katech on this issue and Katech Jason confirmed their source is indeed from China.

---

Side note:

Too much time on my hands, after yesterdays promising mockup, today, I am going old school, milling two T6 spacers to put under hood latch so as to raise back of hood for engine heat to escape.
It's not like we sought out the cheapest manufacturer and went right to China. We looked for a large, credible OEM manufacturer to supply the pulley and went to a huge Canadian company. Probably the one you're speaking of. It just so happens that this pulley they source from China. Who doesn't? If we were getting poor quality from these pulleys we would switch. We buy thousands of them and rarely have a bad one. I mean very rarely and usually it's due to negligence.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
It's not like we sought out the cheapest manufacturer and went right to China. We looked for a large, credible OEM manufacturer to supply the pulley and went to a huge Canadian company. Probably the one you're speaking of. It just so happens that this pulley they source from China. Who doesn't? If we were getting poor quality from these pulleys we would switch. We buy thousands of them and rarely have a bad one. I mean very rarely and usually it's due to negligence.
You really buy "thousands of them"?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by rbl
You really buy "thousands of them"?
Literally.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:18 PM
rbl
Drifting

One would certainly think that if you're buying literally thousands of these that it would be a simple matter to buy them USA made .... are we really that bad off now that we have to go to Canada who sources China for the parts to make "stuff" for us in the USA?

It is a sad day
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by rbl
One would certainly think that if you're buying literally thousands of these that it would be a simple matter to buy them USA made .... are we really that bad off now that we have to go to Canada who sources China for the parts to make "stuff" for us in the USA?

It is a sad day
It's an expensive endeavor to make a new piece from scratch in the USA when we can buy a quality piece from an OEM supplier at a good price.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:16 PM
froggy47
Race Director

No worries, this turned into quite an interesting thread & different from what I imagined.

I am amazed that Amazon, of all retailers, sells this bearing & also the variety of uses (pool filter motors according to one Amazon comment).

I guess I shouldn't have called out China in my prev post, but I have got my share of junk from them. OTOH my 02 Suburban was put together in Mexico from parts sourced all over the world & it's a great truck going on 100k miles.

Interesting times we live in.

Last edited by froggy47; 12-03-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:26 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I sure did notice that the fit of id bearing onto the shaft had a generous amout of slop. It seemed to lessen at I torqued it on, but still? I guess you get precision where you need it & not when you don't.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

^^"you get precision where you need it & not when you don't."

I reworded it a little different - you get precision where you need it & other areas, enough to get by!

Eccentric run outs will surely caused bearings and associated components to have an premature death! Since most consumers depends on repair shops, this is but one of the methods for manufacturers to have continue revenues after sale!

Remember the disappearance of non-interference engine designs and the dependable Maytag brand in the past?

The more I think about these pullies (and I'm going to try and taper off), I am concluding that the problem is the grease "evaporates/vaporizes/melts" out. The bearings all look pretty good so far, of course I got on them pretty quick as the noise is so annoying.

If the grease were some quality that lasts better or the seal kept it in better I think they'd last longer.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:19 PM
rbl
Drifting

I doubt manufacturers build in obsolescence ... not buying that at all. They probably buy the cheapest parts that will produce the desired result and last the design life however. There is little sense in buying a bearing that will last forever if the shaft it is on will fail in 4 years.

I use a hypodermic needle (big one) to re-grease my wheel bearings in the spec racer. I also use synthetic grease. Don't know if you can get the needle in the bearings under discussion or not.

Get notified of new replies

To Stop replacing belt pullies, just grease them

Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by rbl
I doubt manufacturers build in obsolescence ... not buying that at all. They probably buy the cheapest parts that will produce the desired result and last the design life however. There is little sense in buying a bearing that will last forever if the shaft it is on will fail in 4 years.

I use a hypodermic needle (big one) to re-grease my wheel bearings in the spec racer. I also use synthetic grease. Don't know if you can get the needle in the bearings under discussion or not.
Thanks for the post.

I don't quite think they build in obsolescence, but they under engineer and/or cheap out on many parts. I would be interested in your protocol for on the racer, do you regrease every event?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 AM
rbl
Drifting

I ran the car about 30-40 track days a year and touched up the bearings two time a year.
IMO ... over maintenance is as bad as no maintenance.

Sort of like the annual on airplanes for folks who fly 30 hrs a year. It just wears out the hardware and accomplishes virtually nothing. Much better to be performed based on use like a 100 hr inspection. Same with the cars ... IMO.

I think any prudent manufacturer (or home owner) will buy the minimum quality to get the job done. Why put 50" of insulation in your ceiling when there is absolutely no possibility it will pay back? Same with the cars and other stuff.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by froggy47
Thanks for the post.

I don't quite think they build in obsolescence, but they under engineer and/or cheap out on many parts. I would be interested in your protocol for on the racer, do you regrease every event?
Are you talking about the Katech tensioner, or are you speaking in general?

Quick Reply: Stop replacing belt pullies, just grease them