Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you want the new classes to be with the ALMS/GA merger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What would you want the new classes to be with the ALMS/GA merger?

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I just hope they don't totally screw up the classes!
David Farmer posted this in another thread, so I thought I would start a thread for everyone to post their opinions, real or fantasy.

In a perfect world, I would like to see LMP1, LMP2, GT1 and GT2, with the "1" classes being manufacturers and the "2" classes being privateers. DP and LMP2 budgets are similar, so hopefully the current DP teams would transfer over. All classes would fit new Le Mans regs.
A generous per car cap for P1 would maybe entice more manufacturers to take part and showcase their talents.
How awesome would it be to see each of the big three have a pair of P1 cars.
GT1 would be the old GT1 rules and GT2 would be current GT rules.

I understand the need for spec racing, and it can be exciting (as proven by NASCAR at Watkins Glen this year and Aussie V8SC) but I think they should be supporting races - LMPC and GTC, GTC being appropriate for all of the cars currently running in GTC and Rolex GT.

I do hate watching the street races (LBGP and BGP) and don't really like the Daytona 24 much either...even though I always watch, but the tracks I like need some MAJOR attention. VIR looks like a poorly paved county road.

Last thing......STANDING STARTS!!!

Let's hear your thoughts.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Not enough manufactures with willing budgets.

if privateers have the desire and budgets let them race in the ##1 classes.

and those poorly paved country roads are where road racing started.

The Original Elkhart Lake track around Elkhart Lake WI lead to Road America a few miles away.

Watkins Glen, Leguna, Mid Ohio, Mosport and Road Atlanta started as little paved roads.

Sebring is an abandon WWII bomber base.

Circuit de la Sarth and French Country roads.

Nuremberg, German county roads.

Monza, Silverstone, Spa etc.

"If there is a Heaven on Earth, it is VIR." Paul Newman

When one spends a little time in the VIR club house bar, a historic Southern VA Plantation home, one sees the photos of who raced there.

or the Senica Lodge near Watkins Glen. Pure racing history.

YES COTA is spectacular, but those back county roads are sports car racing history.

Damn that bucket list just got bigger.

Quick Reply: What would you want the new classes to be with the ALMS/GA merger?