Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool Cart for the track, what works best?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Tool Cart for the track, what works best?

Ok, so I have a mixed need: Still using an open trailer but will eventually upgrade to an enclosed. I don't want to spend a fortune ($300-$500) so what I buy that can ride on the open trailer must be useful in the enclosed as well (no throw away temporary solutions). I'm willing to have my trailer fab guy make a ramp and a "locking docking" area to hold the toolcart on the trailer. Rain is going to suck, no two ways about it, I'm going to have to look at a cover for it when on the trailer or at the track. It needs to hold all the tools obviously, some spares (hubs maybe, an impact, possibly the vacuum brake bleeder).. and serve as a small work area too. I'm also willing to rip off the 5" castors and upgrade to 8" or 10" solid or pneumatic wheels in order to ensure it rolls easily across surfaces. I would like to put as much stuff in it as possible and stop carrying 3-5 boxes of spare stuff that a racer needs. Locking/safety are also paramount so chime in with ideas about how to keep it safe too.

I've run the gamut from a Cornwell Pro Series Box (seen some on CL for $300!).

to a HF Roller Cabinet...

What are you guys using and what would you recommend or warn me about that I'm not considering.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I think it is going to see a lot of vibration so you are going to need a cart that can stand up to it without being damaged. That means the slides have to be strong, drawer locks should be bars that keep the drawers from opening and have brackets that are welded to the cart and won't break off. The overall structure should be strong enough to take a drop off (18 inches) your trailer without being seriously damaged. Due to the vibration the inside of the box should have something that keeps your tools organized and in place or you won't be any better off than you were dumping them in a tool box.

Bill
Old 12-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Without having an enclosed trailer to keep it in I think you are better off with multiple small boxes.

That said I bought a cart similar to that Cornwell you have pictured above for work and it has been great. HF had a coupon a while back for $99 so I snapped one up. Not sure it would hold everything I need for automotive work though and I sure wouldn't want to be pushing it up and down any ramps.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

I use a couple of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

It's got a removable tray that sits in the top. They hold alot of stuff, and are easy to roll off the trailer and back into the garage. I use one for track only type supplies (stays loaded) and the other for tools I usually put back in the garage. They are very sturdy, standing on the lid doesn't phase it.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrytx

to a HF Roller Cabinet...

That HF cabinet is pretty good for the money. I have 4 of them around the shop for various purposes. We also have 2 of them mounted in the front of one of the enclosed trailers. They seem to have withstood 2 years of traveling around the country full of tools pretty well. I wouldn't want any part of trying to load/unload without a forklift though.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

5 gallon bucket will carry all the hand tools you need.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:06 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by rbl
5 gallon bucket will carry all the hand tools you need.
But it's not "track cool". Now you've got me searching for a collapsible tool caddy for my trailer.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

One thing you will have to think about is the additional weight of the toolbox and the tools that will be carried on the trailer. If the box is going to be up front behind the tongue, that will add a significant amount of tongue weight. You will most likely have to move the car backwards to retain the proper tongue weight.

With an enclosed trailer, you will still have the same problem. If you don't tow now with a weight distribution hitch, you will need one with the enclosed trailer and a WD hitch that handles 10K lbs.

You didn't say when you are considering an enclosed trailer, but I would suggest you wait on a toolbox until you either have an enclosed trailer or have decided on a specific model. Another thing to consider is looking at companies that make furniture for trailers. Check out this website fopr some neat stuff.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
But it's not "track cool". Now you've got me searching for a collapsible tool caddy for my trailer.
You're right - but - I've used the bucket for a lot of jobs and it actually works quite well for me. Load it up job specific and off you go ... just like at the track. Jacks and stuff can carry on their own lose.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Jerry, I am in the same boat. In the garage I have a big roller cabinet like the HF one you show (but much higher quality, it's Home Depot brand) with a 5 drawer box on top. Basically I grab the top box and lug it to the trailer for the track. It works, keeps most of the tools I need, and is...not particularly convenient. It holds the hand tools fine and stable (of course you need one that prevents the drawers from opening), they really don't shift around much due to the rubber drawer liners. But I have to put hammers, drill motors, zip ties, torque wrench, and all the other misc stuff in plastic crates and lug them back and forth as well.

I have been browsing at the Sears outlet, they have a bunch of nice boxes for reasable prices. I think the plan is to get another roller and top box combo and leave them in the trailer. I know lots of people who do this, just use some tie down straps to strap it to the side of the trailer. Of course this won't work with your current open trailer, but it will soon.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
I'm with ya on that. I use two good quality tool boxes, a bag with the impact, and a plastic walmart tote in the front of the trailer. Every tool I need to take the whole damn car apart fits in the tool boxes, mostly in the one box, and spares and jackstands go in the tote. Don't see the point in rolling that monster outa the trailer every time you gotta change rotors...
Old 12-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Crankedupforit
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 50 bucks at the big box stores and it's the best stool for my big **** I've ever used when changing tires.

http://toolmonger.com/2009/01/16/sta...ge-tool-chest/

Last edited by Crankedupforit; 12-11-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:57 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll update my own thread: Thanks for all the great input! I heeded the good advice and avoided the cart until I get an enclosed. I bought one of these for $57 and love it, just wish it were even bigger (I love my tools!):

Excel TB122B-Black 19-Inch Cantilever Steel Tool Box,
Black Black
, its NOW $37 shipped! Smoking deal!

And, they just added a new bigger cantilever
6 drawer 6 drawer
toolbox that is 21" in length, sold out of the UK on ebay for about $90 shipped, THAT is the perfect track day toolbox for me.

Last edited by JerryTX; 01-25-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:36 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Vidmar storage with castors; I signed one out of the tool crib everyday for 3.5 years at Luke AFB while crewing Vipers(F16's)

They are insanely expensive, but can be found on the cheap if you live near a government funded corporate monster like UTC(here in CT), they like to throw everything away when a new project starts, or search Craigs

All the HF and china based tool storage will be a pita after 3 weekends, thin gauge steel won't last when your focused on turning wrenches and need to pry open a jammed drawer.

1/2 and 3/8" SnapOn electric impact guns are a must also
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Posted this in the other tool kit thread...cut and paste of my reply there..

I load up a big plastic storage bin that has oil, paper towel, hand cleaner, funnels, brake cleaner, extra lug nuts, spare hoses duct tape and maybe a couple other things... then I bring this toolbox. It has quite a bit of stuff in it but is still pretty small. If something goes wrong and I need more than these tools or the stuff in the storage box, I call it a day and load my car.

In the tool box there are every size of socket and wrenches, screwdrivers, a big hammer, a c-clamp, hose clamps, wiring, zip ties, fuses, breaker bar, Big adjustable wrench and vice grips.. Tape (duct and electric), allen wrenches, tire gauge, rubber caps, misc bolts, washers... Basically "fix-it" kinda stuff

Oh and before I bought my enclosed trailer I had an open trailer and all I did was load the toolbox in the trunk of the car for transport.

Last edited by GettReal; 01-28-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

On the tool subject, SnapOn can be found on CList or auction site used for half or more off list price, if anything AT LEAST have the Snappy ratchets, swivel head with angled handle will make you want to wrench.

Get notified of new replies

To Tool Cart for the track, what works best?

Quick Reply: Tool Cart for the track, what works best?