Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EOC, Stand Alone or in Rad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 01:04 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Default EOC, Stand Alone or in Rad?

Hey guys, I did a HPDE this Saturday. The car ran great but I noticed I could really use an oil cooler. Temps werent too crazy, highest was 260*, but mostly averaged about 255*. Oil pressure stayed great, 35psi hot (255*) idle. So now Im starting to save up for a cooler but I cant decide what would be the best and most effective option. Ive looked at cooler kits, most are around $600 but Im not sure if I will have enough room with my long tubes, something I have to look at. The other option is a radiator with a built in EOC. Not sure which one works best on the track. Any opinions here and for either side what kind of temp drops have you experienced?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

for autocross big radiator with EOC Dewitts, or DRM
Old 12-10-2012, 08:53 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

It depends on numerous factors. Maybe you already did, but if you search this forum there are several discussions. I ran EOC on my C6 and it worked pretty well in Phoenix on the track. I'd recommend the EOC simply because you'll need the bigger radiator as you get faster and if the EOC isn't sufficient you can get a stand alone down the road and use the EOC for PS or something else.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:51 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It all depends on how serious / fast you are going to get on track. The stock C5's are marginal in cooling for track use especially in warmer climates. As you get faster you will find the stock radiator will not cut it and your oil temps start to bang off the 300 mark. I ended up running a Dewitts radiator and the DRM separate oil cooler. All temps are within acceptable ranges even on a 105 Deg ambient day at VIR last August. If you get really serious a Diff and tranny cooler are also in your future.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:07 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Well I have a bigger radiator and I just installed an Evans high flow water pump for road racing. My coolants temps were just above 200*, i think I saw it close to 215-218* once. Since I have the bigger rad I just bought a few months ago, I was thinking a stand alone eoc would be more cost efficient as well but Im wondering which one will deliver a bigger temp drop the faster I go.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
It all depends on how serious / fast you are going to get on track. The stock C5's are marginal in cooling for track use especially in warmer climates. As you get faster you will find the stock radiator will not cut it and your oil temps start to bang off the 300 mark. I ended up running a Dewitts radiator and the DRM separate oil cooler. All temps are within acceptable ranges even on a 105 Deg ambient day at VIR last August. If you get really serious a Diff and tranny cooler are also in your future.
Ditto.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

In Atlanta I ran a stock system in my C5Z most of the year at HPDE, but as I got faster and the weather got warmer I was at 290 oil and 240 water when I would have to back off. So mid season I had MTI install the Dewitts with the EOC.....big difference. Now my oil is below 240 and water 200, plus I am running harder than before.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:01 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The stand alone EOC will deliver better cooling performance than the in radiator ones do. More cooling fin area directly exposed to the cooling air flow. DRM makes a good kit which includes the bracket and everything you need for the install. I used it and recommend, good bang for the buck.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:51 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
The stand alone EOC will deliver better cooling performance than the in radiator ones do. More cooling fin area directly exposed to the cooling air flow. DRM makes a good kit which includes the bracket and everything you need for the install. I used it and recommend, good bang for the buck.
Doesnt the DRM kit use an oil filter sandwich adapter? Because of how low the car is and my headers those adapters dont fit.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:48 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Doesnt the DRM kit use an oil filter sandwich adapter? Because of how low the car is and my headers those adapters dont fit.
Which headers are you running? I don't know of any that don't work with our block adapter. LG, ARH, Kooks, SW, Melrose, TPIS, DTE, and etc all work. I don't know about the Pfadt setup yet, they look like they will work no problems.

Randy
Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Which headers are you running? I don't know of any that don't work with our block adapter. LG, ARH, Kooks, SW, Melrose, TPIS, DTE, and etc all work. I don't know about the Pfadt setup yet, they look like they will work no problems.

Randy
Texas Speed 1 3/4. That's why I was asking if its the adapter that fits on the side of the block above the filter or if its the sandwich adapter type. I tried fitting a sandwich adapter once and it didn't work. The filter was too close to the ground and the line didnt have enough clearance from the headers.

Get notified of new replies

To EOC, Stand Alone or in Rad?

Quick Reply: EOC, Stand Alone or in Rad?