Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how bad do you think it is..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 AM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how bad do you think it is..

While looking over my busted up zo6 the other day i knew the thing was knocked out of alignment a little after bumping the wall at 100 mph. i hit perfectly sideways i saw the rear subframe was cocked outa whack about an 3/16 do you think the main frame is bent.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:08 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN2
While looking over my busted up zo6 the other day i knew the thing was knocked out of alignment a little after bumping the wall at 100 mph. i hit perfectly sideways i saw the rear subframe was cocked outa whack about an 3/16 do you think the main frame is bent.

I hit a k rail in my c4 on the pass side pretty squarely and broke a rear locating link and the wheel was cocked quite a bit. Replaced the broken part and did alignment & it was good as new.

Did you perviously measure the sub frame so that you know it moved 3/16 or are you just looking at the position now? Sometimes they are "off" from the factory on purpose to make minor alignment corrections.

If it were mine I'd put a VERY careful full alignment on it & see how it feels.

Of course you can go to a shop that has laser frame rig equipment and have them check it. I bet you a dinner they'll find "something" off and want to charge you to correct it.

Last edited by froggy47; 12-11-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:37 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a possibility that you might have some slight frame damage, but it will be hard to tell without pulling the body panels off and taking a look.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can see the misalignment with the naked eye, there's a real good chance you bent something big. As stated, start taking it apart to survey it. You'll be able to find parts easy enough, or a shop to pull it back straight. You just have to find out to what extent the damage goes.

At least you weren't hurt.

And the motor stayed together this time.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN2
More than likely it is bent sice the sub-frame is located via pins and (4) bolts to the main frame.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

If you can get under it, pull a tape diagonally from the cradle bolts front to rear.

Get notified of new replies

To how bad do you think it is..

Quick Reply: how bad do you think it is..