Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upper cylinder lubricant....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default upper cylinder lubricant....

So just wondering how much stock to put into this stuff on the shelf. As far as purely track does anyone run any two stroke oil in their tank (ie 1:200 ratio) to help with oiling the rings? Just thinking because a rotary needs to oil apex seals and rings are basically the same thing. I doubt it would be necessary but anything to prolong the life of an engine being pushed hard all the time would be worth an extra buck every fill up.

I have gallons of premix because my dirt bike and rx7 need it along with yard stuff. Would using a 1:200 ratio effect anything else in a normal gas system? Doesnt with my rx and that was originaly equiped with a supplimental oiling system.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

not a good idea the oil will lower the octain rating of the fuel and lead to power loss
Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Hmm didnt know it effected octane.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
not a good idea the oil will lower the octain rating of the fuel and lead to power loss
There is a huge, long read over on LS1tech or something of the like suggesting something crazy like 500:1 gas to oil and that it does not decrease the octane at that concentration and that it does keep the upper cylinders more lubed and cleaner. I tried it for a couple tanks, didn't notice a difference, then got sick of mixing it. Can't speak to the cleanliness at all. This subject is a huge can of worms.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Did some digging and overall consensus looks like its either good or wont hurt. This was the article I found most referencing... http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-91206/

If it does lower octane and there is proof then id prob stray away but I cant see a 1:500 ratio making that big of a difference knowing compression ratio of my dirt bike is 1:11. Also octane is related to engine detonation not power. If anyone can find any more articles etc about it that would be good. I would be inclined to believe this guy if he is running aircraft engines seeing how high rpm they are.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm pretty sure the rings will not need the added lubricant you get from a minuscule amount of oil in the fuel. Why not let the GM oil system do it's job and just use the best oil you can afford and replace regularly? Maybe monitor oil temps closely and make sure you are not cooking the oil. If you are still worried why not speak to a fuel provider and ask for their opinion? You could always try running a higher quality fuel when at the track?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Yea right... ill just as lashawnda at the counter of my local gas station about the quality of the fuel she is selling (ive done that before...). I do have a regular problem with ethanol with a lot of my other vehicles. If there is any way to counter that crap, then im in. Fuel stabilizer is really expensive too. Im still not convinced its a necessity but I am intrigued and would like more info.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
Yea right... ill just as lashawnda at the counter of my local gas station about the quality of the fuel she is selling (ive done that before...). I do have a regular problem with ethanol with a lot of my other vehicles. If there is any way to counter that crap, then im in. Fuel stabilizer is really expensive too. Im still not convinced its a necessity but I am intrigued and would like more info.
not quiet what i ment, but you could maybe get hold of some primium race fuel for when you are at the track. at least then you should be more confident with whats in the fuel. If you speack to the supplier they might be able to recomend a HPDE / roadrace type fuel that offers better lubrication than normal fuel? just a thought.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread is drifting to octane not upper cylinder lubrication. On the original topic I think your best bet is to address oiling directly by running engine oil high in ZDDP, which will deposit more quality lubricant where it's needed, not adding it to the fuel.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:41 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
This thread is drifting to octane not upper cylinder lubrication. On the original topic I think your best bet is to address oiling directly by running engine oil high in ZDDP, which will deposit more quality lubricant where it's needed, not adding it to the fuel.

My original comment was based on GM trouble shooting charts for oil consumption and possible problems caused by it.
Not much chance of adding that much oil to your fuel.
However not much chance of the added oil (in the gas) helping cylinder wall and or ring life

Get notified of new replies

To upper cylinder lubricant....

Quick Reply: upper cylinder lubricant....