Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
My guess is that they wanted to keep the gap between the rotor and the wheel the same, despite the rear wheels being a larger diameter.
That's what I was thinking.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keeping the rear brake size the same is more likely driven by production costs vs. aesthetics. If they could produce one less disc variant and share it across option packages, that keeps costs down significantly. One less disc casting, one less part# to produce and stock, etc. GM wants it to look pretty, but production cost is critical to maintaining profitability.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

I do hope that the pad size is a popular one used on many applications. Cost of pads can vary greatly and one buys many while tracking. My Wilwoods have paid for themselves in savings on pad cost alone.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:49 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 360 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Just because the rotor is bigger in diameter doesn't mean they are adding more rear brake bias. If the piston area in the rear calipers is reduced appropriately they can have a larger rotor while maintaining front to rear bias. That is how the brake kits for the C6 from several manufacturers (including GM) keep the proper bias. Rear rotor is larger caliper pistons are smaller.

Bill
Correct

C6 Z51 rear caliper has I think 2 mm smaller piston than C5/C6 base.

Because rear rotor size increased more than the front did for C6Z51
Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I do hope that the pad size is a popular one used on many applications. Cost of pads can vary greatly and one buys many while tracking. My Wilwoods have paid for themselves in savings on pad cost alone.
The D1001 used on most of the current Brembo setup is no great step up from the current non-Z shape.

Except the Caddy and EVO - (17mm) they are all 15 mm thick and cost the same or more in most popular compounds than the D731 current shape.

HB453U.585 or CT1001-XP12 - look it up.

Get your earplugs now. The Brembo's so far are VERY squeal prone even w/ modest pads. See the giant roller skates on the Camaro fronts.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:16 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
The D1001 used on most of the current Brembo setup is no great step up from the current non-Z shape.

Except the Caddy and EVO - (17mm) they are all 15 mm thick and cost the same or more in most popular compounds than the D731 current shape.

HB453U.585 or CT1001-XP12 - look it up.

Get your earplugs now. The Brembo's so far are VERY squeal prone even w/ modest pads. See the giant roller skates on the Camaro fronts.
Got to be 20mm or I will be swapping systems (when and if I get one).
Old 01-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

JRitt@essex: Thanks for the write up and posts.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:52 PM
cleanerPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to Essex for the info- these brakes sound more than a bit too small for a car like the C7. I have the same brake setup on my Volvo and they suffer from the squeal issue tremendously. 332x32 front, 320x30 rear, 4 piston Brembos on all four corners.

The C7 is a lot lighter, which helps, but I still don't know if it's enough- IMO, they should have gone to the Z06 brake setup.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:05 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by J Ritt
Keeping the rear brake size the same is more likely driven by production costs vs. aesthetics. If they could produce one less disc variant and share it across option packages, that keeps costs down significantly. One less disc casting, one less part# to produce and stock, etc. GM wants it to look pretty, but production cost is critical to maintaining profitability.

That would be my take also, one size (rear) fits all. In other words the rear will work for either size front.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:09 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop

Something tells me (history?) these brakes will not be the cats meow and we will have to yet again look at a BBK with a stiff monoblock caliper.
I think they are improving the base car system but leaving room for up grades for the z06
Old 01-19-2013, 07:20 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gering
JRitt@essex: Thanks for the write up and posts.
Yes, very informative!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:13 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,793 Likes on 1,141 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
I don't think it's a misprint.
You will to bet on that, Jeff?

(I'm nearly 100% certain it is, and we'll see a correction coming).

jas
Old 01-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

At the auto show it looked like they were about equal in diameter. I took some pics of the front side and back and the back rotors had a larger space to the wheel rims. I can email them to someone who can post them on the forum. Maybe with a 50/50 weight GM figured they could add more rear brake and if the car went *** over end it would hit the guard rail backwords and not mess up the front end.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

That look s pretty much all new.

(Sorry if repost)

Brembo chosen for Chevrolet Corvette

14 January 2013

​ Brembo is the brake of choice for the all-new 2014 Chevrolet Corvette making its world debut today at the North American International Auto Show. Brembo will be providing calipers and discs and assembling those components into full corners at its newly expanded Homer, Michigan Operations.
The OE fitment is further evidence of Brembo’s continued growth and leadership in North America, the second largest market for the Italian company. Brembo has demonstrated its ability to supply brake systems not only for supercars like the Corvette ZR1, introduced in 2009 with state-of-the-art CCM technology, but also for larger-volume programs including the entire Corvette platform.

“We are truly proud to add the full line of Corvettes to our North American Original Equipment portfolio and to continue to serve as a strategic partner with Chevrolet as they introduce the next generation of the legendary Corvette,” commented Dan Sandberg, President and CEO of Brembo North America.
The new brake system for the Corvette has been engineered by Brembo to provide shorter stopping distances, better modulation, improved durability, and balanced brake performance without fading under extreme conditions.
The four-piston, two-piece aluminum calipers were designed specifically for weight savings and drag reduction and are among the stiffest available with virtually no distortion from high thermal and torque loads, even under the most demanding conditions. The calipers are anodized for superior corrosion resistance.

Brembo is proud to build not only the brake system, but also the entire Corvette “corner” assembly (consisting of the calipers, rotors, knuckles and hub and bearing units) in the United States, at Brembo’s plant located just west of Jackson, Michigan.
As the leading supplier of high-performance brakes to premier European auto and motorcycle manufacturers, Brembo has recently achieved significant growth in North America with unique new brake technologies for customers like General Motors, for the Buick (Regal GS), Cadillac (XTS, CTS-V and ATS) and Chevrolet (Camaro SS and ZL1, Corvette ZR1) brands.
The above programs were developed for production at Brembo’s new North America headquarters and technical center in Plymouth, Mich, which was opened in the spring of 2010. Brembo continues to invest in the North American market to better serve its customers by offering a full array of specialty services from design to manufacturing, as demonstrated by Brembo’s product contribution presented today.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

That look s pretty much all new.

(Sorry if repost)

Brembo chosen for Chevrolet Corvette

14 January 2013

​ Brembo is the brake of choice for the all-new 2014 Chevrolet Corvette making its world debut today at the North American International Auto Show. Brembo will be providing calipers and discs and assembling those components into full corners at its newly expanded Homer, Michigan Operations.
The OE fitment is further evidence of Brembo’s continued growth and leadership in North America, the second largest market for the Italian company. Brembo has demonstrated its ability to supply brake systems not only for supercars like the Corvette ZR1, introduced in 2009 with state-of-the-art CCM technology, but also for larger-volume programs including the entire Corvette platform.

“We are truly proud to add the full line of Corvettes to our North American Original Equipment portfolio and to continue to serve as a strategic partner with Chevrolet as they introduce the next generation of the legendary Corvette,” commented Dan Sandberg, President and CEO of Brembo North America.
The new brake system for the Corvette has been engineered by Brembo to provide shorter stopping distances, better modulation, improved durability, and balanced brake performance without fading under extreme conditions.
The four-piston, two-piece aluminum calipers were designed specifically for weight savings and drag reduction and are among the stiffest available with virtually no distortion from high thermal and torque loads, even under the most demanding conditions. The calipers are anodized for superior corrosion resistance.

Brembo is proud to build not only the brake system, but also the entire Corvette “corner” assembly (consisting of the calipers, rotors, knuckles and hub and bearing units) in the United States, at Brembo’s plant located just west of Jackson, Michigan.
As the leading supplier of high-performance brakes to premier European auto and motorcycle manufacturers, Brembo has recently achieved significant growth in North America with unique new brake technologies for customers like General Motors, for the Buick (Regal GS), Cadillac (XTS, CTS-V and ATS) and Chevrolet (Camaro SS and ZL1, Corvette ZR1) brands.
The above programs were developed for production at Brembo’s new North America headquarters and technical center in Plymouth, Mich, which was opened in the spring of 2010. Brembo continues to invest in the North American market to better serve its customers by offering a full array of specialty services from design to manufacturing, as demonstrated by Brembo’s product contribution presented today.
Thanks for sharing! Makes me wonder if they will use an existing pad design, or come up with a new one..
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds and looks like the 2010 Camaro SS brake package. "The SS front brake package includes Brembo 355 mm x 32 mm vented rotors with four-piston aluminum calipers. The rear brakes are vented Brembos measuring 365 mm x 28 mm, with aluminum four-piston calipers."
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Ozer
Thanks for sharing! Makes me wonder if they will use an existing pad design, or come up with a new one..
The caliper is clearly new.

The pads look to have something eerily similar to the roller skates that the Camaro got. (Weights to change the natural frequency) Kinda hope for something better as that D1001 shape which I referred to before is both $$ and thinnish in race compounds.

I suppose if it's all new though and for a Vette the pad will be $$ no matter what but you could hope for a thicker /larger area pad at least.

Love to get my hands on a set of those pads.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 brakes

Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The caliper is clearly new.

The pads look to have something eerily similar to the roller skates that the Camaro got. (Weights to change the natural frequency) Kinda hope for something better as that D1001 shape which I referred to before is both $$ and thinnish in race compounds.

I suppose if it's all new though and for a Vette the pad will be $$ no matter what but you could hope for a thicker /larger area pad at least.

Love to get my hands on a set of those pads.
I bought some pads from you for a Camaro SS I rented for a track day, those pads were 20mm pads. These really do look like Camaro SS calipers.

I've run the SS on track 2x, once on a 1.7mi course and I ran that car bone stock and had zero issues with the brakes, I was very impressed. I then ran one 2 months ago on a 2.5m track with 4 long straights and I knew the brakes wouldn't hold up so I added the aforementioned HP+ pads and Castrol fluid. I had fantastic brakes for 5 laps and on lap 6 each time (4 sessions) the pedal got soft and by the end of lap 6 it was pedal to the floor. This was driving with all nannies off but I'm convinced the BCM/EBCM were still involved and were applying the rear brakes to stop the sliding momentum I was attempting to carry. I spent the last breaks between the last two sessions trying to take apart the center console (for the Yaw/Acceleration sensor) and the steering column (to disconnect the steering wheel angle sensor). Sadly I couldn't get that done in time. I THINK these brakes will work wonders on a lighter car like the Vette.. assuming you can kill active handling.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:08 AM
RCHASEME
Heel & Toe

Will C7 Z51 brakes fit on a C6?
Old 01-28-2015, 11:13 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by RCHASEME
Will C7 Z51 brakes fit on a C6?
It would require a bracket - I think someone is trying it but is not confirmed yet.

-Ken

Quick Reply: C7 brakes