Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp paint for rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Temp paint for rotors

I'm looking for a paint/marker to determine how hot my rotors are getting. My car uses a dual master cylinder setup and I'm trying to make sure I'm using enough rear brake. Any advice on what you've had success with is appreciated.

Thanks
Ken
Old 01-14-2013, 01:53 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Not sure what the answer is but I think whatever you paint it with will eventually fade. My C5 Z had bright red calipers when I got it and after about 6 track days there were pretty much a faded red/black and I can't get the color back.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm looking for the kind of paint that turns color at specific temps so I can see how hot the rears are getting in comparison to the fronts. I'm not painting the brakes for cosmetics. Sorry, if that wasn't clear.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I've used several different brands. They all seem to work the same. I paint 3 rotor vanes. Each with a different color. I do it in the morning before my first session.

Last year I experimented with the the little temperature indicating strips on the calipers. I think I like them better. You just clean the face of the caliper and stick them on. Just like the calipers they're a one time deal. You'll need a new set every day.

The temperature readings from the calipers to the rotors will vary greatly (with the rotors much higher) but that's not a concern for you. You're looking for brake balance so either way should work.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Tech Blog

Last edited by rfn026; 01-14-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Temp paint for rotors

Quick Reply: Temp paint for rotors