Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z: C5 front calipers on all 4 corners

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM
liquidforce917
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5Z: C5 front calipers on all 4 corners

I have been reading through multiple threads about brake bias and how the electronic braking system works on the later C5's. Even after this I am still unsure on how it works. Right now I am running C5 front calipers and rotors on all four corners of the car.

With that said my plan is to use this setup along with ht-14 pads in the front and ht-10 in the rear for my next track day coming up next month.

My question is if anyone has advice or experience for this setup for HPDE/track days.
Also as information I am running a square set of 295 Hoosier R6's.

Latest thread I read through:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-pads-etc.html

Old 01-19-2013, 11:30 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

extra weight.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:42 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
extra weight.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 AM
liquidforce917
Pro

Well would anyone elaborate why they feel it is useless.
I am about to change my brake lines and this would be the perfect time to change the rear calipers back to stock.
Thanks for the help
Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 PM
RogerT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Calipers

I have front calipers on all four corners on my 2001 coup.
I run a few autocrosses, high speed events, and a track day fun event.
This system works flawlessly and it works well.

I don't have much experience with trying various pad compounds.

Hope this helps.

Roger T
Old 01-20-2013, 12:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidforce917
Well would anyone elaborate why they feel it is useless.
I am about to change my brake lines and this would be the perfect time to change the rear calipers back to stock.
Thanks for the help
how much braking does the rear do? Piston volume is another concern. I have front rotors on the rear with WWSL 4 piston rear calipers.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 PM
liquidforce917
Pro

Any other opinions?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Any other opinions?
try search feature discussed many times before if you haven't already.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:24 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
extra weight.
Extras weight with zero benefit and as John said extra piston volume.

The extra weight should be self explanatory.

The extra volume would be beneficial if you could take advantage of it or needed it but you can't without some significant redistribution of weight within the car! Basically you need to have a 49%/51% instead of 52%/48% front to rear distribution.

Bottom line you gained nothing and now have a longer brake pedal because you have to move more brake fluid in order to get your brake pads to move the same distance.
Save the weight and go back to the cheaper pads. They still last at least twice as long as the fronts will.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

I run them on the rear with a 365MM brembo kit up front seems to work really well so far. I do however run a Doug Rippie Master, I can't believe how good my pedal stays now, it's always right there and firm
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by z06801
I do however run a Doug Rippie Master
And there's your answer....bigger master cylinder.

Last edited by geerookie; 01-22-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Thing I like by what I did is one rotor size and one pad size. Light two piece thinner rotor in rear would be nice. Plus you have no ebrake with fronts on rear.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 PM
liquidforce917
Pro

I am thinking I will change back to the stock setup as I do not want any unexpected happenings when i am back at Sebring.

As for the above, I have not noticed a longer pedal and I know that in its current configuration it slows faster.
It has much more force than stock, and when i really lay into the brakes the fronts lock up and not the rears. Also, I have noticed that the car stays flatter under hard braking and does not dive as much.

The only down side I have found, which I cannot pinpoint the cause, is at my last AutoX during a run the first time I stabbed the brakes, the pedal was harder than normal and did not travel far at all, and almost immediately after it dropped down to its normal level and begun to slow the car. This really threw me for a curve, and it happened once more that day. Dont know what it is from, but it never happened with the stock setup. With that said i will change back to stock because i do not want this happening on the track when i am trying to slow from 140mph-60mph...........
Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I am thinking I will change back to the stock setup as I do not want any unexpected happenings when i am back at Sebring.

As for the above, I have not noticed a longer pedal and I know that in its current configuration it slows faster.
It has much more force than stock, and when i really lay into the brakes the fronts lock up and not the rears. Also, I have noticed that the car stays flatter under hard braking and does not dive as much.

The only down side I have found, which I cannot pinpoint the cause, is at my last AutoX during a run the first time I stabbed the brakes, the pedal was harder than normal and did not travel far at all, and almost immediately after it dropped down to its normal level and begun to slow the car. This really threw me for a curve, and it happened once more that day. Dont know what it is from, but it never happened with the stock setup. With that said i will change back to stock because i do not want this happening on the track when i am trying to slow from 140mph-60mph...........
welcome to ICE MODE. That happens when the rear tires slow down faster than the front tires and the computer thinks your on an icy road. Happened to me a few times on a very hot road tracks... it sux! had a badass offtrack adventure once. Even happens on the Porsche, they tuned it out on the some of the Gt Porsches. CANNOT be tuned out of the vette
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 PM
liquidforce917
Pro

Originally Posted by rustyguns
welcome to ICE MODE. That happens when the rear tires slow down faster than the front tires and the computer thinks your on an icy road. Happened to me a few times on a very hot road tracks... it sux! had a badass offtrack adventure once. Even happens on the Porsche, they tuned it out on the some of the Gt Porsches. CANNOT be tuned out of the vette
Thanks for the info
Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 PM
RogerT
Pro

Default E-brake!

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Thing I like by what I did is one rotor size and one pad size. Light two piece thinner rotor in rear would be nice. Plus you have no ebrake with fronts on rear.
I used C6 Z51 13" rear rotors and retained the e-brake.

I have normal pedal.

Going from one smaller diameter rear caliper piston to two, larger diameter front caliper pistons increases hydrolic pressure to the brake pads.

Car brakes flatter with little or no nose dive.

I know no downside.

Hope this helps.

Roger T
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM
liquidforce917
Pro

Originally Posted by Roger T
I used C6 Z51 13" rear rotors and retained the e-brake.

I have normal pedal.

Going from one smaller diameter rear caliper piston to two, larger diameter front caliper pistons increases hydrolic pressure to the brake pads.

Car brakes flatter with little or no nose dive.

I know no downside.

Hope this helps.

Roger T
So are you saying that you utilize the Z51 rotor with C5 stock front or rear caliper? Not sure what you meant. And have you ever ran R-Comp tires with you setup?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
Thats good to know and that same thing happen to me in my 911tt firm pedal, no stopping off topic but do you know how they deal with it on the Porsche? it's never happen to me in the C5Z

Last edited by z06801; 01-24-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 PM
RogerT
Pro

Default C6 rotor?

So are you saying that you utilize the Z51 rotor with C5 stock front or rear caliper? Not sure what you meant. And have you ever ran R-Comp tires with you setup?
What I meant was to say was that on the rear of my C5 coupe I used 13" C6 Z51 rear rotors in conjunction with stock C5 front calipers. This way I was able to retain the E-brake.This gives me 13" rotors and dual piston front calipers at each wheel. 20-20 hind-sight, I would use C5 front rotors on the rear because of the added thickness. I would loose the e-brake.

As a side note, there have been some "nay-sayers" as I did this project.There are a lot of "theary" wonks out there. I thought I knew what I was doing and, as it turns out, I did.

As for tires, I have raced on true road-racing Continental slicks as well as R6 Hoosier Street legal slicks and Bridgestone and Kumho high performance street tires. Have autocrossed, run high-speed events, road courses.I have gotten Fast Time of the event on both kinds of tires. Now I am ready to up-grade brake pads.

This caliper up-grade has worked flawlessly and it has worked very
well.

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z: C5 front calipers on all 4 corners

Quick Reply: C5Z: C5 front calipers on all 4 corners