Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Castrol SRF brake fluid

Old 01-21-2013, 02:11 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castrol SRF brake fluid

After boiling Motul 600 a couple times in the past year, I am biting the bullet and going with SRF this season based on the rave reviews i have read. I will also be running stoptech ST60 BBK up front and stick with stock rear setup. Carbotech xp12/xp10 pads are working great and centric rotors in the rear are holding up well.

Curious how often those of you with a similar setup have to bleed brakes? I saw a couple threads where guys said they could bleed once a year with SRF. That sounds like a pretty amazing claim. Is SRF that good?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Mark do you have cooling? you don't say, but if you are having that much trouble then I would think you will need cooling even with your new mods. I run SRF in my racecar, and Stoptechs on the street (against my sanctioning organizations rules), so I can't comment directly on your issue.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Mark do you have cooling? you don't say, but if you are having that much trouble then I would think you will need cooling even with your new mods. I run SRF in my racecar, and Stoptechs on the street (against my sanctioning organizations rules), so I can't comment directly on your issue.
I was going to put in cooling ducts, but I was told by my shop they won't fit. I had an aftermarket stall converter put in and it required adding a tranny cooler. Apparently the cooler gets in the way of putting in brake ducts. They said they could move it, but then it won't cool the tranny as well. Hello rock and a hard place...

My hope is the ST60 BBK will dissipate heat much better to where I could run the motul 600, but I'd just assume go with the SRF based on what I've read on here. Much higher wet boiling point than the motul 600.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:40 PM
MYRX
Instructor

I have been using the SRF for 3 years with great results. I don't W2W, just TT with CL pads. Basically I bleed in Feb, and I have been good for the year as stated in some of the post you read. I will point out that I only do 5 - 6 weekends per year. Just my 02.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have tried Motul 600, High temp Wilwood, ATE Superblue, Elfalub and Castrol SRF. The Castrol is absolutely the best of the bunch and by quite a bit. Couldn't go back now and given the money I spend on pads, I can't complain about the fluid cost. I too don't bother bleeding the brakes during the season (although I do have cooling ducts)
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Soloontario
I have tried Motul 600, High temp Wilwood, ATE Superblue, Elfalub and Castrol SRF. The Castrol is absolutely the best of the bunch and by quite a bit. Couldn't go back now and given the money I spend on pads, I can't complain about the fluid cost. I too don't bother bleeding the brakes during the season (although I do have cooling ducts)
Do you run a BBK or stock calipers?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by MYRX
I have been using the SRF for 3 years with great results. I don't W2W, just TT with CL pads. Basically I bleed in Feb, and I have been good for the year as stated in some of the post you read. I will point out that I only do 5 - 6 weekends per year. Just my 02.
my same experience and use... I do have the quantum/lambert cooling hoses on the front, so I think the OP should be able to run the same?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

I was told the LG brake ducts wouldn't fit without moving tranny cooler.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If your cooler is by the radiator it shouldn't matter-- this kit uses the factory plastic duct from under the front fascia to just in front of the a-arms, then extends it with hose and an aluminum adapter to cool the brakes much better.

http://www.lapponline.com/index.php?...60061e6de97ac1

-Dan
Old 01-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
I was told the LG brake ducts wouldn't fit without moving tranny cooler.
WTF kind of hack job did they do? I thought C6 brake ducts drew their air from an NACA duct on the bottom of the bumper? Even on the C5 they're way out to the sides beyond where you'd stick a trans cooler. Can you monitor your trans temps? Do you have any wiggle room with them?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:32 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Motul 600 has one of the highest boiling points of any brake fluid - 590 degrees. If you're boiling that then you have an issue. It might be the way you're braking. Do you stay on the pedal for a long time?

Here's my recent blog posting on brake fluid. Enjoy.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
WTF kind of hack job did they do? I thought C6 brake ducts drew their air from an NACA duct on the bottom of the bumper? Even on the C5 they're way out to the sides beyond where you'd stick a trans cooler. Can you monitor your trans temps? Do you have any wiggle room with them?

best tip go over to LG in Plano and see what they can do
Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rfn026
Motul 600 has one of the highest boiling points of any brake fluid - 590 degrees. If you're boiling that then you have an issue. It might be the way you're braking. Do you stay on the pedal for a long time?

Here's my recent blog posting on brake fluid. Enjoy.

Richard Newton
Facebook
I run advanced HPDE and while I'm sure I can improve, my braking technique seems sound. I'm at threshold braking almost immediately, then ease off as I approach apex. I still do most of my braking in a straight line, but I'll do a little trail braking.

I think the difference with the SRF is the wet boiling point. I know plenty of good drivers who seem to boil motul 600 after a few days at the track. I'll be interested to see how long I can go without bleeding the brakes with SRF plus ST60 BBK up front and basically stock rear setup. I plan on around 8 HPDE this season and I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:39 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ErnieN85

best tip go over to LG in Plano and see what they can do
I hear you. I'm going to see how far I can get with the SRF plus ST60 setup. If I boil SRF this year, I'll have them figure out what needs to be done to cram cooling ducts in there.

Get notified of new replies

To Castrol SRF brake fluid

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Castrol SRF brake fluid