Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to do open track but I haven't done HPDE.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I want to do open track but I haven't done HPDE.

Hey guys,
There is a few open track days at Pacific Raceways here in Washington. I want to go but I have not set foot on a track before.
I could wait, do HPDE in May and hit open track in October BUT weather isn't good then. This could mean that if I don't hit open track now, I may have to wait a WHOLE YEAR for open track!

What do you track pros say? Is open track too risky as a rookie or is it a blast and a good learning experience even for a first timer?

------------------"To go or not to go? That is the question"-----------------

Thanks guys!

P.S. I will check out the "sticky" section for roadracing, I just want to know your thoughts.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM
von zoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the organizer allows you on the track with no experience, then go for it, but go with the idea of letting your wallet be your guide. Being on a track is a lot more than simply driving. My recommendation, wait for a HPDE Event where you can have an instructor, then go out and learn something about your car, and your driving ability.
vz
Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

To many people, an HPDE and "Open Track" day means the same thing. You enter an event and you get to drive on the course usually with an instructor if you have no experience. Events have run groups for different experience levels. These events will have a "Beginner" or "Novice" group for those with no track experiences, "Intermediate" group for those with some experienced, and usually an "Advanced" group for those with a few years of experience.

I would suggest that you look into one of the organizations that host events and provide instructors. Typically, the fee you pay as a beginner will include an instructor who will work with you for the entire day.

Pacific Raceways has their own resident school and Hooked On Driving will have a few events each year. Some clubs offer track days that are open to the public but most will want you to have some level of experience.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:06 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Default Zzzooooooooom

Originally Posted by von zoom
If the organizer allows you on the track with no experience, then go for it, but go with the idea of letting your wallet be your guide. Being on a track is a lot more than simply driving. My recommendation, wait for a HPDE Event where you can have an instructor, then go out and learn something about your car, and your driving ability.
vz
..... Just checked out your pics Zoom, Superman setup you have there

I am allowed to go with no experience, they require class time and driving time with an instructor but it is brief compared to HPDE.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

C4 Cruiser just hit me with a gold mine! Thanks for the link, 4!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

You may want to look into Audi Club NA and BMW CCA HPDE events as they accept all makes for their events and generally run clean safe programs with good education. For a beginner safety and education are paramount.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 AM
von zoom
Instructor

Originally Posted by FruiTay
..... Just checked out your pics Zoom, Superman setup you have there

I am allowed to go with no experience, they require class time and driving time with an instructor but it is brief compared to HPDE.
Then, by all means go. This should be treated as an introduction to your car, the track, and the instructor who will help you. The key, do what your instructor suggests, maintain an open attitude, and have a good time. I hope you will report back and share your experience.
vz
Old 01-24-2013, 11:00 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Ok, I'm going! Just put on some fresh Vredesteins, swapping the brake fluid and gonna put some new pads on. Thinkin' HAWK for the pads? Gotta order now.
Any other suggestions, guys? Something inexpensive yet effective for a first timer.
I appreciate it!

Last edited by FruiTay; 01-24-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Ok, I'm going! Just put on some fresh Vredesteins, swapping the brake fluid and gonna put some new pads on. Thinkin' HAWK for the pads? Gotta order now.
Any other suggestions, guys? Something inexpensive yet effective for a first timer.
I appreciate it!
It's a very bad idea to hit an open track on your first time out, I'm glad you changed your mind (I've been instructing for 15 years, SCCA licensed).
The first time classroom and more importantly, the first time instructor is extremely important.

The pads (properly bedded) and brake fluid will be fine and really all you need if your tires are good and your gastank is full.

Your first 2 sessions will be {where the heck am I) , pay close attention to your instructor on the driving lines, brake and turn in points. Take it easy in the first 2, concentrate on the lines. Speed will come with seat time.

You're gonna love it.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:34 PM
r.hillenbrand
******RETIRED ARMY******
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Bill32,

When is SCCA going to be at the Glen this year? Send me a PM I want to go but will have to join SCCA. Need to know all the requirements.

Thanks
Ron
Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend that you build yourself up and start in novice..
in some HPDEs even intermediate can be quick open track is for people with experience that wont freak out when a retired race car driver or really fast race car hits the track with you.. you need to get used to the speeds... so your racing line/heel toe down shifting, braking and smoothness should be like breathing and you should know how to safely enter a corner off line at speed and safely set up a pass for all those fast cars because they will be blowing by you! LOL even the slow ones! LOL and alot are driving 9/10's.. you have to be ok with that.. SO..
get used to the car and yourself and get an instructor, and if he thinks you are ready, will sign you for open track..
Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
To many people, an HPDE and "Open Track" day means the same thing. You enter an event and you get to drive on the course usually with an instructor if you have no experience. Events have run groups for different experience levels. These events will have a "Beginner" or "Novice" group for those with no track experiences, "Intermediate" group for those with some experienced, and usually an "Advanced" group for those with a few years of experience.

I would suggest that you look into one of the organizations that host events and provide instructors. Typically, the fee you pay as a beginner will include an instructor who will work with you for the entire day.

Pacific Raceways has their own resident school and Hooked On Driving will have a few events each year. Some clubs offer track days that are open to the public but most will want you to have some level of experience.

Remember, Real life on a race track is not like a video game.

there is NO RESET button

Be smart and take as much instruction as you can.

Good Luck, Have fun and be safe.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 PM
0JDP Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Hey guys,
There is a few open track days at Pacific Raceways here in Washington. I want to go but I have not set foot on a track before.
I could wait, do HPDE in May and hit open track in October BUT weather isn't good then. This could mean that if I don't hit open track now, I may have to wait a WHOLE YEAR for open track!

What do you track pros say? Is open track too risky as a rookie or is it a blast and a good learning experience even for a first timer?

------------------"To go or not to go? That is the question"-----------------

Thanks guys!

P.S. I will check out the "sticky" section for roadracing, I just want to know your thoughts.
There has been a lot of great suggestions here so far. Being that you'll have classroom instruction and an instructor you'll be good to go! Since this will be your first event go in with an open mind and take in everything you can from your instructor. Keep your eyes up looking ahead and be aware of your surrounding. Have fun!!!

I appreciate it!
I use Hawk pads in our cars and they work great. If your pads are in good shape I'd suggest changing the fluid (Motul RBF-600) and possibly install a set of Goodridge stainless lines part # 12206. Since the pads are consumable I'd change them when needed.

Beyond that just get out there and get seat time!! Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions. Have fun!!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I appreciate it!
Carbotech pads XP10 front XP8 rear. Call me can ship today 216-780-8825.

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it was an instant success. XP10™ immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite friction material with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1650°F (898°C). Due to the high level of friction and bite, this material is recommended for cars weighing around 2,900lbs or less. XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1350°F+ (93°C to 732°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter applications weighing around 2,400lbs or less. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Remember, Real life on a race track is not like a video game.

there is NO RESET button

Be smart and take as much instruction as you can.

Good Luck, Have fun and be safe.

and leave your pride at the door - - you will be humbled!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get at least Hawks HP+ minimum. I blew through half of a new set in 2.5 track sessions. The previous event I ran HPS pads and they were not confident slowing me into turn 2.
Dump the drilled rotors if you have them, mine cracked on that track.
I'd get the more agressive pads than HP+ and change at the track.
Have a good time. Pacific is about as close as you can get to attacking a back road on a track. The back half is like driving through the woods.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Default Aaaaah! That sounds exciting!

Originally Posted by Evilash
Get at least Hawks HP+ minimum. I blew through half of a new set in 2.5 track sessions. The previous event I ran HPS pads and they were not confident slowing me into turn 2.
Dump the drilled rotors if you have them, mine cracked on that track.
I'd get the more agressive pads than HP+ and change at the track.
Have a good time. Pacific is about as close as you can get to attacking a back road on a track. The back half is like driving through the woods.
Yes I got the mid-level HAWKS from Maryland. They were shipped in a hurry!

Get notified of new replies

To I want to do open track but I haven't done HPDE.

Quick Reply: I want to do open track but I haven't done HPDE.