Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YAW Sensor relocation on 2004 c5 z06?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:24 PM
ktlocklear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default YAW Sensor relocation (MTI seat rails) on 2004 c5 z06?

Can the YAW sensor be moved with out upsetting the system?

I just bought a set of MTI seat rails, and there is a mounting location on the rail for the YAW sensor. I'm concerned about moving it because I saw a statement from a HardBar install write-up that says this.....
"GM also has stated not to move this sensor from its location. Any attempt to relocate this sensor will result in the active handling system not working correctly"

Is the YAW sensor that sensitive that it will notice being repositioned 2 inches above the original spot? I emailed Kevin @ MTI yesterday, but haven't heard back yet...so I was just curious if anyone here knows.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by ktlocklear; 01-24-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:33 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

The yaw sensor is mounted under the hvac controls. They mean the lateral accelerometer. I just remove it from the bracket (remove the bracket and epoxy from the floor)and either mount the sensor to the seat rail with velcro or, depending on whose seat mount you are using, relocate the production bracket to the floor. Just make sure the harness connector on the sensor faces towards the right frame rail and is perpendicular to the torque tube tunnel.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there any advantage for relocating it to the seat rails?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM
ktlocklear
Racer

Ahh,lateral accelerometer...thanks for clarifying! The MTI rails have threaded holes on it where the sensor gets mounted. Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:49 PM
ktlocklear
Racer

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Is there any advantage for relocating it to the seat rails?
It has to be moved because it is right in the way for the MTI rails to bolt to the floor
Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 AM
ktlocklear
Racer

So, just to confirm..... The sensor under the passenger seat can be repositioned without driviability issues? The quote i posted above was referring to the sensor under the seat ..scroll about midway down.

http://www.2phast.com/Corvette/sparco.htm

Whats the best way to get the sensor out from under the carpet? Remove the center console, or remove door sill plate? I'm sure somewhere some GM engineer had a perfectly good reason to mount a sensor right there and under the carpet

Last edited by ktlocklear; 01-25-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:21 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
I'm sure somewhere some GM engineer had a perfectly good reason to mount a sensor right there and under the carpet
That sensor needs to be as close to the center of the vehicle as possible to minimize the need for sensor offset compensation. The sensor also needs to be protected. Real estate in that area is precious, especially on a small car like the 'vette with other requirements like weight distribution. They got as close as they could.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
So, just to confirm..... The sensor under the passenger seat can be repositioned without driviability issues? The quote i posted above was referring to the sensor under the seat ..scroll about midway down.

http://www.2phast.com/Corvette/sparco.htm

Whats the best way to get the sensor out from under the carpet? Remove the center console, or remove door sill plate? I'm sure somewhere some GM engineer had a perfectly good reason to mount a sensor right there and under the carpet
Yes you can move it without issues. I had to to put my Hardbar seat brackets in like that and it's mounted to the brackets. My guy just cut the carpet and got it out and then just pushed the carpet back down. I am not sure how he got it up exactly but I have never had any issues and done 9 track days like that. I think he used a heat gun.

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 01-25-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:45 PM
ktlocklear
Racer

I got it...the sensor is sitting down on the floor over 2 studs which come up out of the floor, and the sensor is held down with 2 nuts.
I just peeled the carpet back from under the center console, and that exposed it enough to unbolt it from the floor. I made a small incision in the carpet just big enough to pass the harness plug through, then bolted the seat rail down, then bolted down the sensor to the location on the MTI rail using the supplied allen screws, and plugged back in the harness. I took it for a 15 mile drive and so far no errors, etc.
Now I've got to pull the rail out and mount the seat up.

Last edited by ktlocklear; 01-25-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:56 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Looks like you have the wire harness pinched between the mount and floor. I'd route it outside of the carpet to the sensor.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:59 PM
ktlocklear
Racer

No...the wire harness is not pinched. Hard to tell in the photo, but the MTI rails are tilted....meaning they sit higher in the front than the rear. There is a slight gap under the rails. The wire harness moves freely. Here is a better shot of the gap on a HardBar rail that I googled. The MTI rails sit the same way.....
Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 PM
0MTI RACING
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The mounting of the sensor is correct. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 AM
ktlocklear
Racer

Originally Posted by MTI RACING
The mounting of the sensor is correct. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To YAW Sensor relocation on 2004 c5 z06?

Quick Reply: YAW Sensor relocation on 2004 c5 z06?