Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best tool kit for the track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What's the best tool kit for the track?

I need a good tool kit to bring to the track. Any ideas?
Thanks again guys, been trying to search.....
Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FruiTay
I need a good tool kit to bring to the track. Any ideas?
Thanks again guys, been trying to search.....
I like the Crescent 170-Piece Mechanics Tool Set (Amazon), add a torque wrench, breaker bar, proper 19mm socket for your lugs, a C clamp to compress caliper pistons, and a very accurate (longacre) tire pressure gauge. Buy a little storage bin and put extra quarts of oil, brake fluid, windex, paper towels, caliper pin grease.. that should get you started. I recently went to a Cantilever toolbox which looks like it dropped in price since I bought it 2 weeks ago (dangit!):

Excel TB122B-Black 19-Inch Cantilever Steel Tool Box, Black (see it on Amazon for $37, I just paid $57 and at $57 it was a good deal). I see now that they have a 6 drawer cantilever too, DANGIT!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

depends on what you're prepared to do yourself while there. I have a checklist I can email you - PM me your email address. I myself am limited to brake work, belt changes, wheel swaps, etc. so I bring sockets/ratchets, torque wrench, jack, stands (and plywood to sit them on), brake fluid, bleeding supplies, etc. Also good to have a core set of spare stuff like bleeder screws, tail light bulbs, lug nuts, hose clamps, etc. Stuff that you wouldnt want to have end your day just because you don't have a simple inexpensive replacement part with you.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerryTX
I see now that they have a 6 drawer cantilever too, DANGIT!
I dont see that one. Got a link?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
I dont see that one. Got a link?
Check my other thread, I just updated it, should be near the top right now in this forum. Fellow former 03' Cobra owner here too btw
Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Check my other thread, I just updated it, should be near the top right now in this forum. Fellow former 03' Cobra owner here too btw
ahh, mine was a replica '65 Shelby Cobra Roadster. Cool car but it was a death trap once I discovered track events.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:17 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans

10 credit cards you will never end bring tools to the track it keeps expanding along with parts.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
10 credit cards you will never end bring tools to the track it keeps expanding along with parts.
Well at a certain point it hits a threshold that can't be crossed until you buy a bigger truck and trailer or get a friend to haul along a couple of boxes.

The worst thing about going to the track is loading the tools and spare parts into the back of the truck. Take 2 hours to load them up, go to the track and paw through half of the stuff while working on the car and then try to jam it back in the truck, then another 2 hours unloading when you get home. Following week repeat.

Bill
Old 01-25-2013, 06:37 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

The worst thing about going to the track is loading the tools and spare parts into the back of the truck. Take 2 hours to load them up, go to the track and paw through half of the stuff while working on the car and then try to jam it back in the truck, then another 2 hours unloading when you get home. Following week repeat.

Bill
All that work just about balances out the exhilaration of track time

I agree w/ the first response. Those tools are a good start.
I replaced a clutch at the track last year and had no shortage of advice about what tools I should have.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Well at a certain point it hits a threshold that can't be crossed until you buy a bigger truck and trailer or get a friend to haul along a couple of boxes.

Bill
yeah the biggest pain is loading all the tools etc.... loading and gettng the car ready is the easy part.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill
This
Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Bill
Agreed!!! I'm starting to go in the opposite direction bring less. I do my homework on my car before I go to the track to minimize the issues. When stuff looks old and instead of seeing if you can get one more trackday out of it just change it. It is way cheaper also to fix at home on your time than trackside calling on the phone all the local GM dealers trying to find a steering rack.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans

Bill
yea that's what happens your dragged upward in vehicles and trailers then you look back and think what happen? I remember when this was fun. I use to pack all Friday night from 7-10 or even 1 pm most times.

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-27-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I am planning on instructing at the NCM event at Sebring in March. The wife and I are going to make a vacation out of the trip so will be going to Key West and other places in Florida and South Carolina after the event. No room except for the minimum of tools. No changing of brake pads, rotors or tires.

Brake pads and rotors will be new when we leave upstate NY and will have to last through two days at the track and another 3K miles on top of that. Will be running my Michelin PS2 Run Flats so I figure an air pressure gauge, maybe a small 12V air pump, 1/2 in drive torque wrench and a 19 mm socket with an extension. So that should be the absolute minimum of tools.

Will have to be gentle with the car so I don't screw anything up as we will be on a tight schedule with non refundable room reservations for most of the nights after the event.

Bill
Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A smokin GF that will go barrow things.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:53 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Crepitus
A smokin GF that will go barrow things.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
yeah the biggest pain is loading all the tools etc.... loading and gettng the car ready is the easy part.
Unless your trailer or rig can be loaded once and left alone...

I put all the tools I need in one of the sliding trays under the bus...left them there all season. Only needed to load/unload the car after returning...makes it WAYYY easier.

In my old 24' enclosed trailer...I had tool cabinets inside (up front) with everything needed bolted to the walls & floor...

Now that I live in the country nearly 2 miles off the road and 1.5 miles behind my electric gate...I wait until Monday morning to unpack.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the best tool kit for the track?

Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I load up a big plastic storage bin that has oil, paper towel, hand cleaner, funnels, brake cleaner, extra lug nuts, spare hoses duct tape and maybe a couple other things... then I bring this toolbox. It has quite a bit of stuff in it but is still pretty small. If something goes wrong and I need more than these tools or the stuff in the storage box, I call it a day and load my car.

In the tool box there are every size of socket and wrenches, screwdrivers, a big hammer, a c-clamp, hose clamps, wiring, zip ties, fuses, breaker bar, Big adjustable wrench and vice grips.. Tape (duct and electric), allen wrenches, tire gauge, rubber caps, misc bolts, washers... Basically "fix-it" kinda stuff

Last edited by GettReal; 01-28-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I got a set like this and added a few odd things like deep impact sockets, screw drivers, pliers, a cordless milwaukee impact gun, torque wrench, etc. The other stuff goes in a $25 Bell gear bag off eBay.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-258-p...&blockType=G10

No kit is complete with vise grips, duct tape, and a BF hammer. Everything else is expendable.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I have a Craftsman ~150 pc tool kit like this. However it doesn't include the wrenches that I need to change brake pads or any sockets larger than 19mm so I have to take those from the big toolbox before track weekends.

I also have a large Rubbermaid tote that holds brake pads, bleed bottle, fluids, hammer, torque wrench, etc. I wanted something that could hold all of the random stuff and was waterproof for when it inevitably rains at the track.

Quick Reply: What's the best tool kit for the track?