Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any alternative mounting locations for trans/diff oil radiators.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:12 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Any alternative mounting locations for trans/diff oil radiators.

Car is a caged 02 C5Z, pretty much a dedicated track car in desperate need of these coolers. I know everybody does it, but the notion of hot oil in front of my rear tires just does not sit well with me...I blame a prior student who had "handling issues" for my paranoia.

At some point, I think on this forum, I saw an installation where there were fan driven coolers nestled behind the rear fascia with the pumps mounted in a fabricated aluminum enclosure. I may be adding detail here, but I think the enclosure pulled cooling air from the cockpit to cool the pumps and subsequently feed the radiators.

I have two Weldon pumps that will be used in whatever configuration in I settle upon. I don't mind modifying the rear fascia or other body panels to meet the goal, but would like to do so with a clean design.

The car already has a the Ron Davis radiator with a monster Setrab Oil cooler in front of the Davis. The stock exhaust is still in place from the over-axle back so this eliminates the possibility of using the space where the mufflers live. I have not found any exhaust solutions that keep noise reasonable (Stinger loud or less) that would enable mounting radiators in the current muffler cavity.

My primary goal is finding alternatives to the traditional rear cooling duct locations. I am not too proud to blatantly copy the good work of someone else - folks on this forum have crafted some amazingly well thought out solutions.

Suggestions and pictures are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:47 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have this exhaust setup. Not too bad. Louder than stock of course. It uses the Borla straight pipes which leaves the stock muffler area unused. http://www.borla.com/products/c5_cor...rt__14778.html

Quick Reply: Any alternative mounting locations for trans/diff oil radiators.