Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb questions.....trivia

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 AM
383 Z06
Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Newb questions.....trivia

So I'm new to the road race scene, and trying to gain an understanding for what I'm researching here on the forums as well as being up to speed when at an event. These are a list of acronyms I am curious what they mean and how to obtain them.....

T1
TT
TT1
TT2
ST
ST1
ST2
Willow Springs CW ( i know the track but is the CW clockwise?)
"Big Willow" (whats the difference)
"Streets" of Willow
CCW (Counter Clockwise?)
W2W?

and grouping colors
Purple
Green
Blue
Red

OH and finally....out of all the racetracks here in SoCal area what are your takes/opinions on these?

Willow Springs
Button Willow
Chuckwalla
Fontana

are there any that I'm missing? I can't believe I'm even asking these things......I'm not a complete newb to the Vette, just the track terminology.......flame suit on!

Last edited by 383 Z06; 02-14-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/page.php?id=25
Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 AM
383 Z06
Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

wow....that was perfect...thanks Bill
Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

T1 Touring 1 (Race class)
TT Time Trials (Competition for the fastest lap time, not racing) The 1 & 2 designates different classes, car/weight/horsepower
TT1
TT2
ST Super Touring
ST1
ST1
"Streets" of Willow
CCW (Counter Clockwise?) Yes
W2W? Wheel to Wheel (racing)

Different run group colors (novice, intermeadiate,etc) are determined by the event organization .
Old 02-14-2013, 12:27 PM
383 Z06
Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Bill32
TT Time Trials (Competition for the fastest lap time, not racing) The 1 & 2 designates different classes, car/weight/horsepower
TT1
TT2
ST Super Touring
ST1
ST1
"Streets" of Willow
CCW (Counter Clockwise?) Yes

Different run group colors (novice, intermeadiate,etc) are determined by the event organization .
Thanks again Bill, is eligibility for the TT and ST after you have completes NASA or other Road racing qualificaitons? Classes? Hours/Seat time?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383 Z06
Thanks again Bill, is eligibility for the TT and ST after you have completes NASA or other Road racing qualificaitons? Classes? Hours/Seat time?
Different events. TT is Time Trials and requires a Time Trials license (fairly easy to get). ST is a racing event and requires a Racing License.
This is for SCCA, ST in NASA would require a License, I'm not sure on NASA Time Trials,

It would be better here if you state what your goals are.

If you want to run your street cat on a track, you need to look into HPDE (High Performance Driving Experience).

Racing is an entirely different thing.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:32 PM
383 Z06
Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Different events. TT is Time Trials and requires a Time Trials license (fairly easy to get). ST is a racing event and requires a Racing License.
This is for SCCA, ST in NASA would require a License, I'm not sure on NASA Time Trials,

It would be better here if you state what your goals are.

If you want to run your street cat on a track, you need to look into HPDE (High Performance Driving Experience).

Racing is an entirely different thing.
At this point I'm looking to "begin" with an idea of what the options are in the future. I would (will) start with HPDE, it's just getting an understanding of how far you can take it and what the appropriate course of action would be. I becoming familiar with most of the variables such as seat time, taking it slow etc. Also I'm getting a pulse on how much to spend, where and on what. I know mods last and everytihng to that extent. I am placing a value in my own head just by asking the questions so I can guage how much of an investment I am potentially engaging in......I over-think everything from every angle and try to minimize my losses.....hence all the questions

I sincerely do appreciate you taking the time to answer all this though, it's people like you who make it far less threatening to embark on such an expensive time consuming money pit

Last edited by 383 Z06; 02-14-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

TT1
TT2
ST Super Touring
ST1
ST1
"Streets" of Willow
CCW (Counter Clockwise?) Yes Could also mean CCW wheels as they are quite popular among the race crowd.

Bill
Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

At this point I'm looking to "begin" with an idea of what the options are in the future. I would (will) start with HPDE, it's just getting an understanding of how far you can take it and what the appropriate course of action would be. I becoming familiar with most of the variables such as seat time, taking it slow etc. Also I'm getting a pulse on how much to spend, where and on what. I know mods last and everytihng to that extent. I am placing a value in my own head just by asking the questions so I can guage how much of an investment I am potentially engaging in......I over-think everything from every angle and try to minimize my losses.....hence all the questions

I sincerely do appreciate you taking the time to answer all this though, it's people like you who make it far less threatening to embark on such an expensive time consuming money pit
A lot of the cost depends on the passion you have. This hobby has a slippery slope and the further you slide down the slope the higher the cost and the steeper the slope gets. I have seen some who were at your level and asking the same questions drive their car to the track and fall so hard that after several years of spending they finally start showing up with their full out track car being hauled by an 18 wheeler. That is when they really hit the slippery part of the slope where the only solution to the passion is to be very rich or have it paid for with somebody else's money.

We all have fun no matter where we stop along the slope but it can be very expensive.

Bill
Old 02-14-2013, 02:26 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try running with a group that also puts on racing (NASA, SCCA, EMRA). You can then go speak with their management and get an idea how to get involved in racing once you've done some HPDE and learned the basics.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:44 PM
383 Z06
Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Try running with a group that also puts on racing (NASA, SCCA, EMRA). You can then go speak with their management and get an idea how to get involved in racing once you've done some HPDE and learned the basics.
Are there any major differences between NASA and SCCA? or do they both function the same as competitive driving organizations/facilitators?
Old 02-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Are there any major differences between NASA and SCCA? or do they both function the same as competitive driving organizations/facilitators?
Not really, both are excellent.

So.cal NASA - http://socal.drivenasa.com/

So.Cal SCCA - www.calclub.com

Last edited by Bill32; 02-14-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

383, Where are you in LA? you might only be a few minutes from Auto Club Speedway which has HPDE's from time to time. You should go out and see what its like one day and just get a feel for events (as 90% of HPDE's are run the same). Then, sign up and enjoy a day (or two) of pure bliss behind the wheel.

There is a great wealth of corvette guys here in socal that HPDE/Race/whatever that you can always find at the track.

There are other people that put on HPDE's such as Extreme speed (they are the only ones that come to mind, but I know there are others out here.. but I'm new to the area so I don't remember).

But you asked all good questions!

----
edit:

you can also make it as cheap or as expensive as you want. I know people that put on some brake upgrades (fluid, pads, etc) and some wheels/tires and have a blast. So thats what maybe 5k starting, and 1-2k a year? Then there are people like me, that decided to dive in head first and have the truck/trailer/racecar (although to be honest the sum cost of those is probably still less than a used c6z).

Last edited by spazegun2213; 02-14-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 PM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Of the tracks you've listed, Chuckwalla is my favorite. It's a really fun course with great staff. The worst thing about it is it's out in the middle of nowhere, at least 45 min. from a decent hotel. Buttonwillow is a lot of fun too, but a bit of a drive from San Diego. Willow Springs is a blast, but can be intimidating for beginners. I recommend the smaller, tighter Streets of Willow, which is adjacent to the "big track. Auto Club is the least favorite of the tracks I've run, although it is the closest. It's fun being on part of the same oval that the pros run. But I would describe the "roval" course used for most track days as a bunch of straights connected by a few corners. It's all about horsepower and brakes.

Angelwings Tech is hosting a series of track days this year. We're running at Chuckwalla, Sonoma, Laguna Seca, Streets of Willow, Auto Club Speedway, and Spring Mountain in Nevada. Participants get a discount on the registration fees and Firestone has put up priize money for each of the division champs.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 PM
boltvette
Racer

Forgot to include Buttonwillow on the list of tracks we're running this year. We're there in April with Speed Ventures.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 PM
383 Z06
Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
383, Where are you in LA? you might only be a few minutes from Auto Club Speedway which has HPDE's from time to time. You should go out and see what its like one day and just get a feel for events (as 90% of HPDE's are run the same). Then, sign up and enjoy a day (or two) of pure bliss behind the wheel.

There is a great wealth of corvette guys here in socal that HPDE/Race/whatever that you can always find at the track.

There are other people that put on HPDE's such as Extreme speed (they are the only ones that come to mind, but I know there are others out here.. but I'm new to the area so I don't remember).

But you asked all good questions!

----
edit:

you can also make it as cheap or as expensive as you want. I know people that put on some brake upgrades (fluid, pads, etc) and some wheels/tires and have a blast. So thats what maybe 5k starting, and 1-2k a year? Then there are people like me, that decided to dive in head first and have the truck/trailer/racecar (although to be honest the sum cost of those is probably still less than a used c6z).
I'm located in San Pedro/Long Beach area. I just looked at Extreme Speed and like what I see. I agree with the cost. I'm likely to follow the rout you mentioned regarding the light 5-7K/yr route until I become more comfortable.....or plummit to bankrupt induced coma (kidding).....but I'm only going to go as far as my pockets/wife reponsibly allow

Originally Posted by boltvette
Of the tracks you've listed, Chuckwalla is my favorite. It's a really fun course with great staff. The worst thing about it is it's out in the middle of nowhere, at least 45 min. from a decent hotel. Buttonwillow is a lot of fun too, but a bit of a drive from San Diego. Willow Springs is a blast, but can be intimidating for beginners. I recommend the smaller, tighter Streets of Willow, which is adjacent to the "big track. Auto Club is the least favorite of the tracks I've run, although it is the closest. It's fun being on part of the same oval that the pros run. But I would describe the "roval" course used for most track days as a bunch of straights connected by a few corners. It's all about horsepower and brakes.

Angelwings Tech is hosting a series of track days this year. We're running at Chuckwalla, Sonoma, Laguna Seca, Streets of Willow, Auto Club Speedway, and Spring Mountain in Nevada. Participants get a discount on the registration fees and Firestone has put up priize money for each of the division champs.
Yeah locations are a huge factor in all of this. The hotel cost, or travel expense or "all in" trailer etc CERTAINLY has to be accounted for financially. Which in a way will determine how much racing I'm able to do vs. want in addition to being a variable with how good I can become at this. Gotta pay to play scenario right?

It's easier for me to justify expenses (especially with my better half) if we make a trip out of it and it's enjoyable for her as well. Destinations like Laguna Seca are awesome for the big picture. She would be happy spending a weekend out there.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:21 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

I'm located in San Pedro/Long Beach area. I just looked at Extreme Speed and like what I see. I agree with the cost. I'm likely to follow the rout you mentioned regarding the light 5-7K/yr route until I become more comfortable.....or plummit to bankrupt induced coma (kidding).....but I'm only going to go as far as my pockets/wife reponsibly allow
wait 5-7K a year will buy you a LOT! I mean 5-7k up front costs, for pads, fluid, SS brake lines, wheels, tires, tire trailer, tools, etc etc. Everything you need for the track. Yearly expenses will be tires which are cheap if you buy them used, pads and other consumables. 5-7K a year will go a LONG way, lol consumables might run 1-3k a year depending on the number of events you do.

Yeah locations are a huge factor in all of this. The hotel cost, or travel expense or "all in" trailer etc CERTAINLY has to be accounted for financially. Which in a way will determine how much racing I'm able to do vs. want in addition to being a variable with how good I can become at this. Gotta pay to play scenario right?
so, again you can do this on the cheap. you can camp, or split rooms with friends, etc. Sure, there is no way to get around fuel costs and things like that. but I remember YEARS ago right out of college splitting a room with 5 other guys to make an extended stay at VIR affordable.

It's easier for me to justify expenses (especially with my better half) if we make a trip out of it and it's enjoyable for her as well. Destinations like Laguna Seca are awesome for the big picture. She would be happy spending a weekend out there.
Yea, Laguna and sonoma would probably be great tracks to bring your SO to.

But remember, start slow and see where it takes you. Some people are rattled their first time out and never come back... others, will eventually live at the track in they can, lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Newb questions.....trivia

Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 AM
boltvette
Racer

I'm in the process of planning the "Ultimate Track Day Adventure" for the week before Memorial Day in May. We'll do four consecutive track days - Thur. & Fri. at Sonoma, Sat. at Laguna Seca and Sun. at Streets of Willow. Considering stopping at the new K1 Speed indoor kart track in Union City on Friday night, on the way from Sonoma to Monterey.

I have family in the Bay Area, so I may head up a couple of days early. It won't be cheap, but it's my idea of a great vacation. As I tell my wife, it's a lot less expensive than a stress-induced hospital stay! I suspect there will be at least a few significant others along for the trip who will be able to find lots to do while we're destroying a set of tires.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:40 AM
boltvette
Racer

Ross, are you joining us this year? We have 11 days on the schedule.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:48 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boltvette
Ross, are you joining us this year? We have 11 days on the schedule.
I hope so! with getting married, buying a house, moving for the 2nd time in 7 months, and all sorts of other stuff, life is settling down a bit.

Right now the car is torn apart, waiting on me to get off my butt and work on it. It needs some safety updating to be nasa legal this year. But I just need to mark down the weekends on my calendar!

Quick Reply: Newb questions.....trivia