Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ram 1500 with 3.0-liter V-6 turbo EcoDiesel and TorqueFlite eight-speed transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Ram 1500 with 3.0-liter V-6 turbo EcoDiesel and TorqueFlite eight-speed transmission

Home
Auto
Chrysler
February 14, 2013 at 2:42 pm
Chrysler to put diesel engines in Ram 1500 pickups

By Bryce G. Hoffman
The Detroit News
3 Comments
Chrysler Group LLC will begin offering diesel engines in its Ram 1500 pickups later this year.

The 2014 Ram 1500, which Chrysler says will go on sale in the third quarter of 2013, will be the only half-ton truck on the market available with a small-displacement diesel.

"Truck owners have been emphatically asking for it, and Ram will be the only manufacturer to offer a diesel powertrain in the half-ton segment with the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel," said Ram brand president Fred Diaz. "The half-ton truck market is incredibly competitive, and although we're honored the Ram 1500 has received a number of prestigious awards, we cannot rest on what we have accomplished, we must keep pushing."

Ram will mate Chrysler's new turbocharged 3.0-liter V-6 EcoDiesel engine, manufactured by VM Motori, with an eight-speed automatic transmission. Chrysler said the pairing will yield best-in-class fuel efficiency and best-in-class torque.

"The Ram 1500 with 3.0-liter V-6 turbo EcoDiesel and TorqueFlite eight-speed transmission deliver on the demands of truckers by providing best-in-class torque, fuel economy and range," Diaz said. "There's no doubt that being the only truck manufacturer to offer this game changing technology will provide Ram with a competitive advantage."

bhoffman@detnews.com

(313) 222-2443

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2KxJFnw3R
Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

http://www.vmmotori.it/en/index.jsp

should get some great mileage and have decent power.

could be this motor

A 630 DOHC
3000 cc - 6 cyl. - 24 Valve

Engine A 630 DOHC
Displacement 2987 cc
Cylinders 6 in 60 degree V
Valves 24
Injection Common Rail
Max power 184 kW/4000 rpm
Torque 550 Nm/2000 rpm
Weight 220 Kg
Emissions Euro 5

405 ft lb at 2000 rpm not bad and it weigh 485 lb. nice and light.

Last edited by John Shiels; 02-15-2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:10 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

They are putting a diesel in Grand Cherokee also probably this one,
Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 AM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Fuel Price

Originally Posted by John Shiels
They are putting a diesel in Grand Cherokee also probably this one,
With fuel for these now higher than gas it is getting to expensive to drive them. Can't seem to understand why a fule that is easier to produce cost more.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:19 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JohnAlley
With fuel for these now higher than gas it is getting to expensive to drive them. Can't seem to understand why a fule that is easier to produce cost more.
Why diesel costs more
Posted in: Gas Prices, by Gregg Laskoski on Mar 1, 2012 10:42 AM
514 Comments
When we watch gasoline prices climb steadily higher some of us are stunned when we see how high diesel is going. The U.S. average today for unleaded regular gas is $3.68 per gallon and for diesel it's $4.06. It makes a lot of people ask why diesel is so high.

Back in 2008 when we saw the national average for regular gasoline hit a record of $4.12 per gallon, diesel hit a record too, $4.85 per gallon... both of those records are likely to be broken this year.

Diesel fuels most of the country's buses, trucks, trains and farm equipment. According to a new report produced by National Asssociation of Convenience Stores, diesel is powering an increasing number of passenger vehicles in the U.S. and abroad and there was a 27% incease in clean disel vehicle sales in 2011.

NACS says the increased cost of diesel is a function of four factors.

First, the price of diesel is pushed higher by strong demand outside of the U.S. The U.S. is a gasoline-dominant motor fuels market. 98 percent of passenger vehicles are powered by gasoline with fewer than 2 percent powered by diesel fuel. Consequently, the refining infrastructure is designed for optimum efficiency in producing gasoline. From a typical 42-gallon barrel of oil, the refining process delivers around 18 to 21 gallons of gasoline and 10 to 12 gallons of distillate (diesel fuel) plus some other refined products. Refinery yields can be tweaked but to produce significantly more distillate they would need to undergo significant upgrades costing billions.

Outside of the U.S. other countries are much more reliant on diesel. In Europe, for instance, diesel is used in the majority of new passenger vehicles sold there. Strong international demand for diesel --for both passenger vehicles and industrial machinery-- has placed a premium on diesel fuel imports.

Second, here in the U.S. the Energy Dept. says overall gas consumption has declined by 5 percent since 2004 while diesel demand has increased by 29 percent over the same period. In response, refineries have increased diesel production 15.1 percent, boosting diesel yield from a barrel of oil from 23.9% to 27.5%.

Third, the introduction of Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel(ULSD),which was gradually phased into the market between 2006 and 2010 to replace the on-highway diesel fuel known as Low Sulfur Diesel(LSD) mandated by the Environmental Protection Agency, required approximately $8 billion in refinery infrastructure upgrades. Naturally, that cost was passed on to you, the consumer. The Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel added about 10 cents a gallon to the cost.

And last but not least, taxes. The federal tax on diesel is 24.4 cents per gallon, versus 18.4 cents for gasoline. The last increase was in the early '90s and tht's when diesel was generally less expensive than gasoline.

Read more at http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Why-d...ZEJ3PLoGEw0.99
Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Chrysler is set to introduce a range of frugal diesel engines across its brands, starting with the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Chrysler 300initially and spreading to other models if demand necessitates.

The move is just one part of Chrysler’s overall strategy to meet tough new CAFE standards proposed for 2025, with other initiatives including the launch of more small cars, downsized engines, fuel-efficient transmissions and even hybrids.

We have now managed to dig up a trademark for a badge that will almost certainly indicate Chrysler’s future diesel models.

New diesel should pack up to 406 pound-feet of torque

It reads “EcoDiesel 3.0” and was registered by Chrysler with the U.S. Patents and Trademarks office late last month. The 3.0 figure in the badge denotes the displacement of the diesel engine Chrysler plans to install in several models in its lineup.

Built by Italian firm VM Motori and developed together with Fiat, Chrysler’s new diesel will be a 3.0-liter V-6 turbodiesel producing a peak output of 241 horsepower and 406 pound-feet of torque. A version of this particular engine is already offered on several Chrysler models overseas, including the Jeep Grand Cherokee and 300, the latter of which is sold overseas with a Lancia badge.

Matched to a five-speed automatic, this engine is expected to return a mileage rating of around 23 mpg city and 33 mpg highway in the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Debuting in the 2014 Grand Cherokee

As we most recently reported, Chrysler is likely to delay the launch of its diesel models until the 2014 model year. While this is later than previously expected, the good news is that the 2013 model year for the Grand Cherokee will reportedly be shortened to make way for the arrival of the 2014 model as early as January of next year.

The delay will also allow for the addition of a ZF eight-speed automatic, which Chrysler has also confirmed is in the pipeline for the Grand Cherokee and slated for production in the U.S. With the eight-speed automatic, the previously listed fuel economy numbers should improve even further.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Ram trucks are good looking trucks.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:42 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Maybe if GM sees cherokee diesels kicking it GM will get smart and out a diesel back in the suburban. I love by ram 2500 diesel for towing my racecar but would buy a diesel suburban in a heartbeat after owning the 8.1L gas 3/4 ton suburban
Old 02-15-2013, 12:14 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Maybe if GM sees cherokee diesels kicking it GM will get smart and out a diesel back in the suburban. I love by ram 2500 diesel for towing my racecar but would buy a diesel suburban in a heartbeat after owning the 8.1L gas 3/4 ton suburban
+1 here, only ford and the excursion had a diesel in an SUV, and sorry but I will NOT buy a ford

Still I'm wondering if these new 1500's will be any cheaper than slightly use 2500/3500 diesels.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:12 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 774 Likes on 468 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

It will have to get at least 25% better gas mileage than their current trucks to be cost effective.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:25 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by F4Gary
It will have to get at least 25% better gas mileage than their current trucks to be cost effective.
it's also about performance and it will not be close with a gasser.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Same reason the eco-boost is the shjt. The torque comes on nice and low and by the assload. GM does have a small diesel, but they shelved it when the economy tanked. From what I understand, it's largely developed and running in test mules for years. Too bad all my money goes into consumables/maintenance to track the vette, I'll never afford a shiny new tow pig like this. I hope this lights a fire under GMs *** and small diesels become more competitive.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
it's also about performance and it will not be close with a gasser.
The 3.0 diesel is already coming in the Jeep, rated at 420ft-lbs of torque. The Ecoboost F150 is rated at... wait for it... 420ft-lbs at 2500rpm. It makes over 400ft-lbs at 2000rpm and never drops below it past 4000rpm. I've kept up with friends in heavy duty diesels towing enclosed trailers with my Ecoboost F150 towing at above posted speed limits.

Add in the extra cost of the diesel vs the gas option (~$8000 in HD trucks) as well as the additional cost of diesel fuel vs gasoline and I think the light duty diesels have a lot going against them.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Chryler already put a diesel in a small SUV in the states. It was a Jeep Liberty.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
The 3.0 diesel is already coming in the Jeep, rated at 420ft-lbs of torque. The Ecoboost F150 is rated at... wait for it... 420ft-lbs at 2500rpm. It makes over 400ft-lbs at 2000rpm and never drops below it past 4000rpm. I've kept up with friends in heavy duty diesels towing enclosed trailers with my Ecoboost F150 towing at above posted speed limits.

Add in the extra cost of the diesel vs the gas option (~$8000 in HD trucks) as well as the additional cost of diesel fuel vs gasoline and I think the light duty diesels have a lot going against them.
Ecoboost owner here too.. I have yet to up my octane to 89 or 93, 87 octane towing 7500lbs works all day. If/when I do up the octane and tow an enclosed, more power is available. Besides the extra price of diesel over gas, I like that my ecoboost has a 6 qt crankcase and uses standard engine coolant without additives, same goes for no risk of gelling the fuel in the winter and another fuel additive avoided. The cost savings just keep adding up.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

It will smoke your eco boost in mileage
Old 02-15-2013, 05:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Same reason the eco-boost is the shjt. The torque comes on nice and low and by the assload. GM does have a small diesel, but they shelved it when the economy tanked. From what I understand, it's largely developed and running in test mules for years. Too bad all my money goes into consumables/maintenance to track the vette, I'll never afford a shiny new tow pig like this. I hope this lights a fire under GMs *** and small diesels become more competitive.
GM has it in small car now. Ford said they are ready if demand is their for cars. Ford E vans are dead and new one offers a diesel I think not sure.

Get notified of new replies

To Ram 1500 with 3.0-liter V-6 turbo EcoDiesel and TorqueFlite eight-speed transmission

Old 02-15-2013, 05:26 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

If your towing the same trailer as your friend your truck will not keep up with the newer diesels. My Excursion with the diesel will accelerate up hill going to Pocono my Dodge barely as it has less power. My truck 2001 with 450 lb. ft. ran away from a Ford V-10 going up hill to Pocono.

I doubt your gas motor will come close to the life of most diesels although many may not care it helps in resale.

I towed my trailer with 11,000 lb on and still got 11 mpg no hills flat towing. Excursion would average 14.9 with my car trailer (22' H&H tilt with huge tire rack, 3 big tool boxes) tons of gear supplies and 8 tires and rims.

Last edited by John Shiels; 02-15-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by F4Gary
I think it will.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:37 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Ram has not unveiled detailed specifications for the new truck, but says it will deliver best in class fuel-economy and torque when it goes on sale in the third quarter of this year.
The engine is rated at 240 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque in the Grand Cherokee, which has a tow rating of 7,400 pounds. The Cherokee has an estimated highway fuel economy rating of 30 mpg, while the current gasoline-powered V6 Ram 1500 gets a class-leading 25 mpg.
Ram will also be offering a different diesel engine option for its new ProMaster full-size van, which debuted at the Chicago Auto Show last week.
Although all three Detroit automakers offer diesel engines in their heavy duty pickups, neither Ford nor General Motors has indicated plans to introduce them into their half-ton lineups in the near future. Ford has relied on turbocharged gasoline engines to provide a combination fuel efficiency and power in recent years, while GM’s all-new 2014 trucks feature V8’s with cylinder deactivation technology.
Pricing for the diesel-powered Ram 1500 has not been revealed.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...#ixzz2L0gNA4uO