Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel Braided Brake Lines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:14 AM
2K6Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel Braided Brake Lines?

Couple of Q's for you experts out there...

I will track 4-5 events this season at a minimum (3 last year). I just purchased new rotors (oem factory), using the RAYBESTOS ST43 track padlets on all 4 corners for track days and oem factory padlets on street, already running Castrol SRF (Liquid Gold , I know overkill, ) but need your thoughts opinions on the lines...

Do I leave them factory?

Do I upgrade to SS? And if so what do you recommend and why?

I will do/have done rotors/pads and flush myself, any issues with replacing lines i should be aware of?

2006-C6 Z06

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:20 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

The only car we owned where an SS line noticeably improved the brake feel was our then-6-year-old C5 Z06. The OEM lines become more flexible as they get older, so it becomes more important if your car is relatively old. The SS lines also help out by not getting more flexible when the fluid gets hot, and are also harder to break apart if a rock hits them.

Do you have to have it? Probably not. Would I do it? For ~$100, absolutely, it is a good investment, and every bit of more brake feedback and more immediate brake action helps.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:21 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

By the way, I have a set of ST43s for rear if you would like to get spare pads:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...and-sport.html
Old 02-17-2013, 05:42 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with the post above, you are not going to notice much of a difference going to SS but it is always a good idea to change out brake lines as they get older. If yours are in good shape I would probably leave them stock, but if they start to show signs of wear or external abuse then I would change them out before it becomes an issue.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I changed mine to SS when I started tracking out of concern the elevated brake rotor temps would have on the stock rubber lines. I now change out my SS lines about once every two years. Saw a fellow SCCA T1 racer lose his breaks at the end of the front straight at Summit Point a few years ago - not a pretty sight. He lived without serious injury likely due to his full cage, full safety gear including HANs device and quick reactions to partially spin the car and take the brunt of the collision on the passenger side of the car. Brakes are not the area I would skimp on.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 02-17-2013, 11:12 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SS lines are great in my C5z. I've tracked my 2012 GS without them several times, and on street tires, was unable to fade the brakes. Your Z06 will be capable of going faster, and has the same brakes. Thus, you might be able to experience brake fade, depending on how you use them. I would do ss lines if I was in your shoes. Caveats:
1) The line is more vulnerable to being twisted and having the teflon liner compromised. When handling the calipers and with SS lines attached, care should be taken to not twist or kink the lines.
2) Your brakes lines are now on the 'check before the track day' list. Run your fingers over them to make sure there are no bulges or fraying steel.
3) Not all SS lines are created equal. Do your forum research before you buy.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:40 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Putting on some fresh SS lines is never a bad idea. As mentioned above, they are cheap added insurance when bombing towards a wall at 150mph.

Here are the Spiegler lines we sell for the Corvette C6 Z (we also have them for all C5's). These lines have a number of features competitive products do not have, and the quality is unmatched.

Front Spiegler SS lines for C6

Rear Spiegler SS lines for C6
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Subdriver
I changed mine to SS when I started tracking out of concern the elevated brake rotor temps would have on the stock rubber lines. I now change out my SS lines about once every two years. Saw a fellow SCCA T1 racer lose his breaks at the end of the front straight at Summit Point a few years ago - not a pretty sight. He lived without serious injury likely due to his full cage, full safety gear including HANs device and quick reactions to partially spin the car and take the brunt of the collision on the passenger side of the car. Brakes are not the area I would skimp on.

I am with you on this Brad. The same thing happened to me, fortunately it was only a 95 MPH entry into the turn. When I left the track and hit the tire wall I was still doing 50 MPH. It still hurt a lot and I separated some ribs. That hurt for about seven weeks.

Changing them out every two years is the smart cycle. We should all inspect them with every pre-race inspection just like I check my wheel centers for cracks every wheel/tire change.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:24 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

I don't tell war stories much, but I did lose a steel brake line once. No walls were harmed in the making of the resulting skid marks, but it was pretty scary. More important to me was what the line looked like after. It failed in the middle, and just blew out. It was right where the line would kink when I pulled the calipers to change rotors. I changed my rotor changing technique and no issues since. As we said, once you do this, the lines become an inspection item.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

I am not a racer but do track my car in HPDE 3/4 events 8 or so times a year ... I am not running 100% each time out as well but I never had any issues with my stock lines and only replaced them as a part of Preventive Maintenance with SS ones ... now I am one of the guys that swears my car runs better when it is waxed and clean ... but I do think think that the peddle was more firm after I installed the SS lines... maybe it was the placebo effect but no regrets to say the least
Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I put them on my C5 Z06 when it was 10 years old and had 60K miles on it. Couldn't tell the difference, but like the other guys said, new lines are good insurance on the track. If you are doing new lines, why not SS, it's only an extra $30 - $50.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:51 PM
2K6Z06
Racer

Thanks for all the responses. I have decided to go ahead and upgrade to Stainless! Now I need to do some homework on which ones...I think it might be time to call Randy @ DRM.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:15 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I just now ordered a set of lines for my '87 from Randy at DRM. Great guy to work with and they have reasonable prices too! Give him a call; he's in now.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:41 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

+1 for DRM!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Ludedude
Racer

I use the Russell lines on my car. The steel braid is covered in a protective layer which helps keep grime out of the braid and should help prevent wearing from abrasion. They also have the large square OEM style caliper side fitting that's made to seal better.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludedude
I use the Russell lines on my car. The steel braid is covered in a protective layer which helps keep grime out of the braid and should help prevent wearing from abrasion. They also have the large square OEM style caliper side fitting that's made to seal better.
Most all lines are coated now.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

I actually bought my lines from KNS :-) and they were coated

Get notified of new replies

To Steel Braided Brake Lines?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Good to know
Old 02-22-2013, 04:29 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
Most all lines are coated now.
For reference the lines used in the DRM kit are not coated.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:02 PM
2K6Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by stevensa
For reference the lines used in the DRM kit are not coated.
DRM is out of stock and I was waiting to buy theirs. Should I be concerned about them not having the coating?

Quick Reply: Steel Braided Brake Lines?