Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet clearance and halo/forward hoop

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Helmet clearance and halo/forward hoop

I'm interested to hear what kind of clearance you have between the halo/forward hoop bar (in the area of the driver's window) and your helmet. Without kicking out that bar, it doesn't look like there is much space for clearance and I have yet to see a cage with a kicked out bar.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:04 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I'm interested to hear what kind of clearance you have between the halo/forward hoop bar (in the area of the driver's window) and your helmet. Without kicking out that bar, it doesn't look like there is much space for clearance and I have yet to see a cage with a kicked out bar.

Thanks.
Can't embed from the phone but checkout YT vid BUVyVoc78sQ, I have since added padding to the bar. Still amazed how much the halo seat moves with g force.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Thanks - are you constantly bumping the padding? Looks like it is already pretty close with the bare bar.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

I'll be honest I've never noticed it while driving, only when trying to get out with helmet and Hans on. I had to remove the previous owners seat belt buckle window net attachment mechanism, my head didn't stand a chance of getting out with that thing hanging down. I'll try and share some before/after pics of that later when I can search for them.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:09 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ben,
All of our cars have bent outward forward halo bars. There is very little room, or no room otherwise. We additionally take the b-pillar out of the car to get the hoop higher as well as the forward halo bars.

Most of the Pheonix builds have bent outward forward halo bars, but they all have b-pillars remaining. Rearwad visibility is awesome with the B-pillar removed ..
Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Thanks and that is what we have been noticing even with a WC roof, no A pillar, no OEM halo and the seat on the floor.

On the forward hoop kick-out - do you end up with 5 bends on the forward hoop and head up to the next tube dimension?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:00 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Our halos are built differently. The forward running "halo" bar from the main hoop is continous to the front floor with 3 bends. Those are connected through the roof to the other side. Our halo car is not continous.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Our halos are built differently. The forward running "halo" bar from the main hoop is continous to the front floor with 3 bends. Those are connected through the roof to the other side. Our halo car is not continous.
Danny when I pick my car up can you show me what you are trying to explain. I can't see it in my mind, thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

brians car.... plenty of headroom

Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I hit my head on the padding all the time, around the paddock and on grid. On track I never notice it.

I will say my new carbon fiber helmet is actually larger in size compared to my old helmet. I seem to hit it a bit more now.

Model your cage after Brian's, his is the best I have seen by far.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:33 PM
zigspeed10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Brian's cage as reference when doing mine. He has a thread on here somewhere will lots of good pics.

I feel comfortable with headroom in my cage, my helmet never touches anything. I can also climb out of the window with full gear on in case the door fails to open. I've seen cages where the helmet doesn't fit the window opening.

Here is my cage build with some pics for reference.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...pta-build.html
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Yes, been looking at that. My concern is not so much bumping while driving (currently have plenty of clearance for that), but hitting/bumping and the resulting effect on the neck when the belts stretch during a side impact.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:12 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Davids cage looks exactly like some cars that I know about . Nice job Dave, I hadn't seen your car since we talked, but that turned out REAL nice. Door bars going through the b-pillar certainly eliminates some unneeded bends.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Headroom is nice but if you can still hit a bar that is farther away the safety of it is only piece of mind. Think baseball for those weaker in physics and math. Same 175lb man batting. Would you rather get batted in the head by a "bunt" or a full swing? If your halo bar does not collapse in an impact then your head right on that padded bar is good vs. having 5" of space to accelerate into the bar. If otoh you pad that 5" or contain your head with a halo seat and never hit the bar that's better. Very few vette drivers 1) have the space or 2) use a halo seat or 3)manage that space.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

I think the analogy is incomplete - your body will continue moving in an impact and your neck will see significant stress as the body moves while your head is stuck against the bar. Freeing up some space will allow your head to move with the body, saving your neck.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Maybe but the head injury will kill you despite how great you neck looks
Old 02-22-2013, 12:04 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
maybe but the head injury will kill you despite how great you neck looks
lol!!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

I'd rather take my chances on the helmet since it is specifically designed (and certified) to handle and dissipate energy from a roll bar impact.

Get notified of new replies

To Helmet clearance and halo/forward hoop

Quick Reply: Helmet clearance and halo/forward hoop