Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&F Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Default J&F Trailers

Anybody have experience with J&F Trailers out of West Salem, Ohio http://jftrailers.com/twocar.php? I'm considering a 2 car open trailer to get my wife's and my cars to the track and I like the looks of their aluminum trailers. I am also looking at Kaufman steel trailers, but their steel trailers are about 1500lbs heavier than the J&F aluminum, though obviously cheaper. 2 Vettes and an aluminum trailer would be well under 10,000 pounds and gives me way more flexibility with tow vehicles - our '01 F350 SRW diesel is rated for 10,000 on the hitch.

Experiences with either of those would be appreciated, or alternatives.

Last edited by TheKomoman; 02-22-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:13 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

link does not work for me
Old 02-22-2013, 04:14 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Thanks.. it didn't like the parentheses in which I tried to enclose it. Silly forum.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck Dan
Let me know if you ever want to get rid of the tire trailer.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by PA Z06
Good luck Dan
Let me know if you ever want to get rid of the tire trailer.
Thanks.. figure it will be available some time this spring, the hitch from the C5 as well. Nando's former C5 is headed to track-only duty!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:27 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
Thanks.. figure it will be available some time this spring, the hitch from the C5 as well. Nando's former C5 is headed to track-only duty!
Can't wait to see it again, I will hopefully be back on the track this spring/summer
Old 02-06-2014, 11:30 AM
serendib
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Anybody have experience with J&F Trailers out of West Salem, Ohio http://jftrailers.com/twocar.php? I'm considering a 2 car open trailer to get my wife's and my cars to the track and I like the looks of their aluminum trailers. I am also looking at Kaufman steel trailers, but their steel trailers are about 1500lbs heavier than the J&F aluminum, though obviously cheaper. 2 Vettes and an aluminum trailer would be well under 10,000 pounds and gives me way more flexibility with tow vehicles - our '01 F350 SRW diesel is rated for 10,000 on the hitch.

Experiences with either of those would be appreciated, or alternatives.
I am considering a similar trailer from J&F for our cars and would like to be below 10,000 lbs with two cars on deck. Please let me know how your experience was with J&F trailers. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:34 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by serendib
I am considering a similar trailer from J&F for our cars and would like to be below 10,000 lbs with two cars on deck. Please let me know how your experience was with J&F trailers. Thanks in advance.
After a lot of research and thinking I decided against an open trailer. We jumped in with both feet, bought a CPO dually F350 and an ATC 24' stacker. Deciding factor was storage space, a long trailer just wasn't going to work in our driveway and we were able to get the stacker as a bumper pull. Would have loved to have it as a gooseneck for drivability but the bumper pull is manageable.

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:14 PM
serendib
Instructor

After a lot of research and thinking I decided against an open trailer. We jumped in with both feet, bought a CPO dually F350 and an ATC 24' stacker. Deciding factor was storage space, a long trailer just wasn't going to work in our driveway and we were able to get the stacker as a bumper pull. Would have loved to have it as a gooseneck for drivability but the bumper pull is manageable.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for your quick response.

On different subject: I will be towing with 2012 Ram 2500 6.7 HO. I would like to be able to maximize fuel economy.

What sort of MPG's are you getting at interstate speeds with you F350 and Stacker?
Old 02-06-2014, 12:46 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Thanks so much for your quick response.

On different subject: I will be towing with 2012 Ram 2500 6.7 HO. I would like to be able to maximize fuel economy.

What sort of MPG's are you getting at interstate speeds with you F350 and Stacker?
We're getting between 9.5-10 fully loaded. Our truck is the Ford 6.7 diesel. Trailer is about 6500 empty (tri-axle, all aluminum) so with the cars we're pulling around 14,000. We're still figuring everything out with it, the tri-axle is great but it actually has us struggling to get ENOUGH tongue weight. We did put a weight distribution hitch on the truck and it smoothed things a bit.

Gratuitous picture attached....
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2014, 12:58 PM
serendib
Instructor

We're getting between 9.5-10 fully loaded. Our truck is the Ford 6.7 diesel. Trailer is about 6500 empty (tri-axle, all aluminum) so with the cars we're pulling around 14,000. We're still figuring everything out with it, the tri-axle is great but it actually has us struggling to get ENOUGH tongue weight. We did put a weight distribution hitch on the truck and it smoothed things a bit.

Gratuitous picture attached....
That trailer would match my truck and two of our four Autox cars perfectly. I am working on validating the most aerodynamic method of towing two cars at 70 mph. It has not been easy to get real data on this. One thing that SEMA has published is that a toneau cover on the pickup bed does have a documented improvement in economy 5-11% or so. But nothing on tow applications.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:08 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

That trailer would match my truck and two of our four Autox cars perfectly. I am working on validating the most aerodynamic method of towing two cars at 70 mph. It has not been easy to get real data on this. One thing that SEMA has published is that a toneau cover on the pickup bed does have a documented improvement in economy 5-11% or so. But nothing on tow applications.
The scary thing is my guess would be that if you did the math, including the cost of the trucks, trailers, fuel (even if it were gas) it would be less expensive in total to haul multiple cars using multiple trucks & trailers. You don't need as mega a truck, the trailers are much lighter and both end up being far cheaper. That's a lot of fuel money.

That said it's way more convenient to haul 'em together!
Old 02-06-2014, 11:51 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

That thing looks like it'd blow over with enough wind, have you been in the wind yet?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:43 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
That thing looks like it'd blow over with enough wind, have you been in the wind yet?
We've driven in some wind yes, and it's been fairly stable though the trailer does get moved around in the air a bit for sure. We went dually with the truck and tri-axle with the trailer with those things in mind. Unloaded I think it blowing over would be more of a concern but I don't dismiss the issue.

Get notified of new replies

To J&F Trailers

Quick Reply: J&F Trailers