Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of Open Trailers with Tire Racks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 01:40 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No I don't ... I found that pic on a Porsche club website ... http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ire-racks.html. Post #15. Best bet might be to join that site, and try and contact the original poster...
Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I kept my rack low too. I tell people that it reduces wind drag but actually at my age that's as high as I wanted to boost those tires.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

My rack is high enough the nose of the car could tuck under the tires. The guy that built the rack pop riveted thin fiberglass panels to the front side of the rack so the car was protected from road debris thrown from the tow vehicle's tires. The setup has worked very well for 20 seasons.

Bill
Old 03-19-2013, 05:07 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Last C5
I kept my rack low too. I tell people that it reduces wind drag but actually at my age that's as high as I wanted to boost those tires.

Cool setup. What box is on the front of that? Where did you get the wheel stops you have on there?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

nice garage. damn I wish I could store my trailer and car in the same garage like that.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:36 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad this thread is still going, I will be assembling mine this week and will post pictures when finished.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:46 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The tire rack 6' up the wall of the garage kind of blows that excuse.

Nice stealth winch install on the trailer.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ltborg
Cool setup. What box is on the front of that? Where did you get the wheel stops you have on there?
The box was made by a company called Empire Products that I can't find on the web or any place else anymore.

I made the wheel stops myself out of some 0.125 Tread Plate cut to
12"X19" and bent on my press brake.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR
The tire rack 6' up the wall of the garage kind of blows that excuse.

Nice stealth winch install on the trailer.
Thanks for compliment on the winch. If you look closely at the tire rack on the wall you'll see some chain hanging down. The chain is attached to a mini rope pulley - that's how the tires get up there now.

The pulley went up right after I lost control of a wheel while going up a step ladder. The wheel/tire dropped, bounced clear over the convertable, just missed the pickup and Z06, and ended up on the other side of the shop luckily without doing any damage. You're the only one who knows I did this so don't tell anybody else.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:09 PM
irieman
Racer

Last C5

Great setup, especially the toolbox (slash) winch holder with external fairlaid. This is exactly how I'd like to install/store a winch on my trailer. If I may ask can I get or can you post a couple of up close of your toolbox. Maybe one of the fairlaid and hook and a inside picture of the winch and cable.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by irieman
Last C5

Great setup, especially the toolbox (slash) winch holder with external fairlaid. This is exactly how I'd like to install/store a winch on my trailer. If I may ask can I get or can you post a couple of up close of your toolbox. Maybe one of the fairlaid and hook and a inside picture of the winch and cable.

Thanks.
Sure,
Here is the fairlaid

And here is the inside mount. The winch is setting on a piece of 3"X6" rectangular aluminum tubing cut at 45 deg at both ends. This raises it to correct level to come directly through the front verticle on the Featherlite trailer. (Other trailers will probably require different platforms).

Old 03-20-2013, 04:40 PM
irieman
Racer

That was fast!!! Thanks!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

I don't have pics but a buddy of mine was talking to a Truck Outfitters shop in DE and what they have done is weld a hitch receiver onto the front of the trailer and mount the winch on a draw bar. You attach the bar to the receiver when you want to winch something. Also wire a harness using the truck's battery instead of having to mount and maintain a battery on the trailer. You can remove the winch easily and store inside when not using the trailer. Could also just mount it to your truck for other uses assuming the same size receiver. I may pursue that idea when I get around to it.

Last edited by RDnomorecobra; 03-20-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Sure,
Here is the fairlaid

And here is the inside mount. The winch is setting on a piece of 3"X6" rectangular aluminum tubing cut at 45 deg at both ends. This raises it to correct level to come directly through the front verticle on the Featherlite trailer. (Other trailers will probably require different platforms).

Nice set up with the winch that you have there! I just picked up a tongue mount tool box and winch to do the same thing on my featherlite trailer. I was however thinking that I would have to raise the tool box/winch 6"-12" to stop the winch cable dragging on (and possibly cutting into) the end of the trailer when trying to winch the car up the ramps because my trailer sits about level when hooked up to the truck. Are you not having any problems with that or are you jacking up the front of the trailer when you winch your car on to alter the angle?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Werks
Nice set up with the winch that you have there! I just picked up a tongue mount tool box and winch to do the same thing on my featherlite trailer. I was however thinking that I would have to raise the tool box/winch 6"-12" to stop the winch cable dragging on (and possibly cutting into) the end of the trailer when trying to winch the car up the ramps because my trailer sits about level when hooked up to the truck. Are you not having any problems with that or are you jacking up the front of the trailer when you winch your car on to alter the angle?
I don't have that problem. I've loaded the lowered Z track car DOA a few times and I've loaded my buddy's down in the weeds 36 Chevy show car many times. The cable does rub the trailer briefly for a foot or two as the car comes up the ramps, but I just went out and looked and I can't see a single mark on the trailer.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Awesome! Saves me the hassle of trying to figure out how to build a structure to elevate the tool box. Really, really appreciate your posting the info and those pictures
Old 03-23-2013, 11:24 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Ok, so as promised here is what I came up with. Keep in mind that these photos are after final mock-up prior to paint, hence some hardware is loose or missing. Also the single fuel container on the bottom rack is just being used as an example.

The entire structure is made of 2" 14 gauge (.083") square tubing.

I used a 1" .120" wall thickness steel round tubing to go through the wheels. I also bought some rubber hose to slide over the tubing to protect the inside of the wheels.

Simple locking system like everyone uses.

In order to help keep the system flexible, especially when loading longer cars that may need extra space at the front of the trailer while loading, I wanted and easy way to move the rack out of the way, I decided to place it on hinges.

The backside if held down by a simple pivoting eye bolt to aid in hole alignment. There is also and external piece of angle iron for additonal support (not shown).

The bottom rack is easily removable when the top rack is hinged out of the way. These allows me to store tires on the top and bottom rack, top or bottom only, or tires on the top and fuel jugs or tool storage on the bottom.

That is basically it. I wanted a simple, yet flexible design. I also may ad a rock guard to the font of the rack in the future. Total materials with hardware cost ~$250. I assembled and welded it myself. I am not a welder, or a metal worker so it took me ~20 hours including painting time. Hopefully this will add some ideas to others in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To Pictures of Open Trailers with Tire Racks?

Old 03-23-2013, 11:31 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Also, to help keep the wheels bunched together I used a piece of 2" square tubing with holes drilled through (to match the bar size that runs through the wheels) and welded a 3/8" nut to it. I then simple slide one of these assemblies on either side of the wheels and tighten the pictured eye bolt to secure it in place. Seems to work really well.

I also made a "lower profile" version for the lower rack.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:24 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Ya know if you stuck 1 more beam in there you could be a lazy *** and swing that upper rack down to load wheels nice and low, then hinge it back up for transport. That is a cool fudgin design nonetheless.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:33 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

I thought about that, but decided that a rack full of tires would be more of a pain to lift than just loading them up individually.

Quick Reply: Pictures of Open Trailers with Tire Racks?