Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Am Series Prepares for Sebring Opener with Largest Field in a Decade

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Trans Am Series Prepares for Sebring Opener with Largest Field in a Decade

I thought I would share this...

http://www.gotransam.com/latest-news...rgest-fie.html

Trans Am Series prepares for Sebring opener with largest field in a decade

Series returns to its birthplace with 38-car field, partnership with SVRA

On March 25, 1966, a field of 44 cars took to the track at Sebring International Raceway. Those 44 cars were the first ever running of the Trans Am Series. Then divided into two classes, an Over 2 Liter class and an Under 2 Liter class, those 44 cars set in motion what would become the longest running road racing series in North America.

Now as Trans Am returns to where it all began, it brings with it the largest Trans Am field in over a decade. With 38 cars confirmed, Trans Am is featuring the biggest car count since the 2001 race at Sebring where 39 starters were featured.

As Trans Am returns to Sebring for the seventh time on March 3, it will be racing alongside some of the cars that have helped pave the way for the historic series. On the track where Trans Am officially began, the series is beginning a new partnership with the Sportscar Vintage Racing Association, SVRA, as the two series bring together the past and present of Trans Am and road racing.

All eyes in the Trans Am paddock will be on 2012 TA Champion Simon Gregg, driver of the #1 Gregg Motorsports Chevrolet Corvette, who also has ties to the track at Sebring. In 1967 Simon’s father, Peter Gregg, won the Under 2 Liter class during the second Trans Am race at Sebring where he partnered with Sam Posey in a Brumos Porsche 911. Simon also participated in the 2001 race at Sebring. Now he will try to become the second Gregg to have won at Sebring, as he prepares to carry over the momentum that landed him his first-ever Trans Am Championship into the 2013 series opener.

Gregg will not be short of challengers come race day. Key among them will be Tony Ave and Amy Ruman. Ave is a two-time champion himself, and Ruman was only 11 points shy of Gregg last year in the Championship. Alongside them will be other challengers in the ultra-competitive TA class including 2012 multiple race winner Doug Peterson. In all, the TA class will have 16 entrants, all driving the 800 plus horsepower grand touring cars that have become a staple of the series.

The TA2 class will be highly contested as well, featuring the largest TA2 field ever. Two-time-defending champion Bob Stretch driving his #98 Wheels America/Fix Rim Mobile Wheel Repair Chevrolet Camaro will take to the course to begin his challenge for a third straight TA2 title. In his path stands an ever-expanding TA2 class, primed with fresh Camaros and Mustangs driven by competitors who will want their own shot at the TA2 Championship.

Key among these competitors is Miller Racing, featuring Trans Am veteran Pete Halsmer and 20-year-old Cameron Lawrence. Lawrence finished the 2012 season with four podium placements in his last five starts, including three second place finishes and a victory at Road Atlanta during the season finale. Halsmer was Stretch’s major challenger in the 2012 season and finished second for the year, claiming eight podium placements and four first place victories during his challenge. Lawrence and Halsmer will be driving matching #11 and #12 Miller Racing Chevrolet Camaros for the race at Sebring.

Finally, in TA3, Trans Am’s production class, defending champ Chuck Cassaro will be unveiling his brand new #76 Stack Data/Aeromotive/Metallica Ford Mustang as he takes on the likes of Tim Gray, Mickey Mills, David Seuss and newcomer Rob Bodle in what will be the largest TA3 field ever.

Trans Am will first take to the track for practice at 10:05 a.m. EST followed by another practice at 2:55 p.m. on Friday March 1st. The official qualifying session will take place Saturday March 2 at 11:10 a.m. Finally, the Trans Am race will take place at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Trans Am will first take to the track for practice on Friday March 1 at 10:05 a.m. EST followed by another practice at 2:55 p.m. The official qualifying session will take place Saturday March 2 at 11:10 a.m. with the race taking place at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday.

For more information about the event click here. http://www.gotransam.com/2013-events...bring-fla.html

About:

The Trans Am Series dates back to 1966. Throughout the years, some of the greatest names in motorsports have participated in the Trans Am Series. Backdating the Driver’s Championship to the inaugural season, 30 different drivers took titles, with multiple Championships being won by Paul Gentilozzi, Tommy Kendall, Mark Donohue, Scott Pruett, Wally Dallenback Jr, George Follmer, Peter Gregg, Horst Kwech, Scott Sharp, Bob Tullius, Tony Ave and Bob Stretch.

The iconic Trans Am Series – America’s Road Racing Series – is operated by the Trans Am Race Company, LLC. Through a five-year agreement, the Trans Am Race Company manages the marketing rights to the series and is responsible for Trans Am Series public relations and promotions. SCCA Pro Racing sanctions Trans Am events and provides event operations services to the series.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:02 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Default Entries for the Combined SVRA-Trans Am Race Series Event at Sebring

More...

http://www.svra.com/entries-for-the-...past-235-cars/

Entries for the Combined SVRA-Trans Am Race Series Event at Sebring International Raceway Soar Past 235 Cars

Southlake, TX (February 23, 2013) – SVRA President & CEO Tony Parella and Trans Am Race Company LLC President, John Clagett, announced on Sunday that entries for their combined event at Sebring International Raceway, March 1 -3, 2013 has surpassed 235 cars.

Parella said that the Sportscar Vintage Racing Association had 185 confirmed entries as of February 22, seven (7) days prior to the start of the event. “We normally get 10 to 15 more cars entering at the last minute, so we could easily surpass 200. Given that our entry for this event last year was 120 cars, all of us at SVRA see this year’s results as an indication that the organization is headed in the right direction. I’m also extremely pleased with the amount of positive feedback we’re getting from our racers as we launch our expanded 2013 East Coast schedule,” offered Parella.

John Clagett said that the Trans Am Race Series entry of 38 cars is the largest number of Trans Am cars to compete at Sebring since 2001. “Our first event last year drew 18 entrants, so like Tony, we feel this year’s turnout is a clear signal that what we’re doing with the series is being received very well with our current drivers, as well as attracting many new competitors. Our strong turnout also speaks to the draw of a great track like Sebring that hosted the first ever Trans Am race in 1966. We too are looking forward to an outstanding 2013 season and are proud to have SVRA as a partner at three of our events,” said
Clagett.

Tickets are still available for the event and can be purchased at the gate. Saturday tickets are $20 each. Sunday’s admission is $25 and includes the 27 lap, 100 mile Trans Am race series Feature Race in addition to a full slate of SVRA Vintage races. Children under 16 will be admitted free when accompanied by an adult.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:35 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Nice to hear it's doing strong.

Love to see the vintage cars run
Old 02-26-2013, 04:19 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

See ya there Sunday!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 PM
mgg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am VERY encouraged to hear this news. I hope it is the beginning of something good for Trans-am. Best of luck. I just wish I could be there.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I knew about this earlier. I might still be able to get down there though.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clicked around to find the complete schedule.

http://www.gotransam.com/storage/Off...6%2013%201.pdf

Actually this is a better schedule than the one above.
http://www.svra.com/wp-content/uploa...-Schedule4.pdf

Got my tickets bought and hotel reserved.

Last edited by Han Solo; 02-27-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:15 AM
slo_z28
Instructor

Its good to see such life in this series, there are some cool cats driving those cars
Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will any of the races be on TV?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Will any of the races be on TV?
No TV package for 2013. TV is VERY expensive, and I wonder about it's ROI.

I plan on putting my in-car videos up on youtube, however. I realize that is not nearly what you are looking for, but it's the best I can do.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
No TV package for 2013. TV is VERY expensive, and I wonder about it's ROI.
Someone gets it.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Trans Am Series Prepares for Sebring Opener with Largest Field in a Decade

Quick Reply: Trans Am Series Prepares for Sebring Opener with Largest Field in a Decade