Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aviaid dry sump tank in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 01:07 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Aviaid dry sump tank in the rear

I have been looking at the Aviaid LSA setup and was wondering if it was possible to run the tank in the passenger side trunk cubby rather than moving the battery (which weighs much less than a giant tank of oil) back there. Would this require multiple pumps inline to keep the pressure up? Also when going to that setup, can you still use a factory Z06 oil cooler system, or does something else have to be put together?

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:39 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The pump will pull (assuming sensible routing) but it is very tough (not feasible) to run the lines without significant modifications (assuming you have a decently sized tank).
Old 02-27-2013, 04:57 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should work but you need to make sure that gravity is "helping" flow and I would recommend larger lines to insure no loss of volume or restriction or increase in suction pressure.
If it's a race car no problem with running lines, if it's a street car...Good Luck.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:17 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I've seen GT-1 cars with the tank in the back

Better weight distribution.

May want to bump the line size.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:29 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Thanks for the replies!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

You will want to avoid running lines through the trans tunnel (aka "oil heater") and you will also have very limited room to run lines in and out of that area. Unless you have a small and short tank (which is theoretically not ideal for road racing), that leaves running them through the frame rail, which is pretty tough. Different ball of wax on a car with side exhaust and a driveshaft, though you only have a feed line which makes things easier.

A larger line will decrease the level of vacuum.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I would also worry about the RR cubby in the event of a crash. You may want to think about the center cubby, it gives you more room to work with and it's protected by both frame rails. That bumper "wing" doesn't take impacts well and will bend pretty easy with any kind of wall contact.

Also I would think about just putting a full size battery in the RR well, a full size battery weights over 40 lbs. 10 qts of oil only weights about 25 lbs (the rest will be in hoses, the cooler and the engine) plus the tank (< 10 lbs) the extra hoses you are going to run are going to be expensive (more expensive than battery cables). I think the extra hose and the oil in those hoses will be heavier than just putting the tank in the RF and putting a battery in the RR. You defiantly have more challenges running it back there. Just my thought.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:59 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
I would also worry about the RR cubby in the event of a crash. You may want to think about the center cubby, it gives you more room to work with and it's protected by both frame rails. That bumper "wing" doesn't take impacts well and will bend pretty easy with any kind of wall contact.

Also I would think about just putting a full size battery in the RR well, a full size battery weights over 40 lbs. 10 qts of oil only weights about 25 lbs (the rest will be in hoses, the cooler and the engine) plus the tank (< 10 lbs) the extra hoses you are going to run are going to be expensive (more expensive than battery cables). I think the extra hose and the oil in those hoses will be heavier than just putting the tank in the RF and putting a battery in the RR. You defiantly have more challenges running it back there. Just my thought.
Current battery is only 5 lbs and some organizations require external cutoff switches for batteries that are relocated, so thats why I was asking about putting the tank in the rear... its starting to sound like the relocation of the oil tank would create more issues than its worth.

Ive still got the wheels tires and brakes to deal with so this is a year off, but seeing how the setup was only 1800 vs the 3grand that you usually hear drysumps go for, I had to find out about this system!

Old 02-28-2013, 12:03 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

The LSA system is significantly less capable than the more expensive versions, though it is still an upgrade over anything OEM.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

FWIW, I recently made a custom mount to install my battery in the RR compartment. It's the one in my avatar. What you cannot see in the photos below is I machined some spuds and welded them on to the other side of the box to mount a 100amp fuse for the cable.
I would agree that if the battery is only 5lbs it's not worth moving it that far back and adding back some weight with the proper heavy guage cable.
If you are using the factory pump I would not recommend putting the tank that far back. It's a long ways away for such a pump to draw oil from. With oil lines, bigger is better as long as it fits. Especially on the scavenge lines and most importantly on the return to the tank. Use straght fittings whenver possible and keep angled fittings to a minimum.

Get notified of new replies

To Aviaid dry sump tank in the rear

Quick Reply: Aviaid dry sump tank in the rear