Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Rotors - Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:09 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Brake Rotors - Part 1

Here's my blog on brake rotors. This is Part 1. Part 2 will appear later in the week.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 03-03-2013, 07:44 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Nice write-up. I'll wait for part two before, like a snob, I comment about what else I'd love to see covered :-)
Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice article. Don't take it for granted all two piece rotors are lighter than one piece OEM or others. Modern pads that are decent don't out gas like pads of yesteryear. Personally seat of the pants I did feel slotted rotors are a bit better in stopping on my car.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:01 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Grabbing my hammer now ... Great write-up.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:13 PM
2K6Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up! Looking forward to part 2
Old 03-03-2013, 03:57 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,392 Likes on 745 Posts

Richard,

Nice brake writeup, as well as the rest of your blog!

Thanks for sharing, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-03-2013, 04:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Only thing I find hard to believe is that 20% of the rotors are still made in this country.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:16 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Shape of a one piece (cone) makes it more liable to crack than a two piece flat rotor. Personally I have cracked many NAPA premium rotors. Flat rotor is all in one plane unlike a cone.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-03-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:54 PM
383 Z06
Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Great write up...I'll be following that blog from now on
Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I cracked my Wilwood Spec 37's and the NAPA premiums! What the hell am I doing wrong???
Old 03-04-2013, 12:19 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Keep 'em coming!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:16 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I think a lot of the rotor cracking comes from thermal shock. You really have to carefully break in your rotors. That's in Part 2.

Richard Newton
Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

I'd like to hear it. I break them in as per manufacturer's instructions. Basically do stop and goes from 60-0 until I get brake fade, then drive around to cool them, then repeat. The NAPA premiums usually won't last 2 days before I crack the drivers front, rears last about 4 days, and the Wilwoods got me about 8 days before they cracked off the edge. I've got a set of Spec 37 slotted here so I'm anxious to see how long they last. I always drive around the pits to cool my rotors, and the IR gun says I'm around 400 degrees on the drivers front when I shut down the car.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The Spec37's have lasted longer than any rotor I've run, by far. I started running them at nationals in 2011 and they've been on ever since. 4 wheel to wheel races, 25-30 time trial days, and lots of taxi cab rides. That includes about 3 weekends at CMP and one of those I ran ever lap of every session testing shocks. A weekend at CMP is about like 2-3 weekends at any other track on brakes.

Hard stops is bedding in pads. That's not breaking in rotors. Rotors like to be seasoned, basically street driving, lots of mild temp heat cycles. Season the rotors gently, then bed the pads. I always try to cool them down a lot before parking in the paddock. Pad choice also affects rotor life. Carbotech wins here in my experience.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

I break in my rotors and I have cracked them all. Stock, NAPA Premium, front and rear, two piece AFX front that only last a couple more days than stock one piece rotors. The only ones that worked well were my AFX rear brake rotors on the Z. I got 20 track sessions and a bunch of autocrosses out of them before I actually had to toss them because they were to thin. The slots were worn away. Much better than the stock rear rotors which usually cracked after 3 or 4 days with nary a heat check on them. Would really like to find a front rotor that would last as long as those rears did.

Added ducts to the center of the front rotors, added ducting from the fog lights to increase cooling air flow and the rotors don't seem to last any longer.

Bill
Old 03-04-2013, 04:40 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

My car isn't street legal, so breaking them in on the street isn't an option. I do have DRM cooling ducts on the front. And what about when you have to change rotors at the track? I crack a rotor before lunch, now what do I do to break in the new ones when I only have a few min before I go back out?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
My car isn't street legal, so breaking them in on the street isn't an option. I do have DRM cooling ducts on the front. And what about when you have to change rotors at the track? I crack a rotor before lunch, now what do I do to break in the new ones when I only have a few min before I go back out?
Do it where you are doing your 60-0 stops? paddock? access road at a track? Just don't do as many of them in a row, and do it a few more times with cool down time in between.

You don't HAVE to do it, but the rotors/rings typically last a bunch longer if you season them.

Also I try to warm up the rotors before they are used to the max, ie, use the first 1-2 laps to bring them up to temp before you are setting off on a lap record attempt.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Rotors - Part 1

Old 03-04-2013, 04:58 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Here's what Wilwood recommends:

Go to Rotor Page
Rotor Bedding
All new iron rotors should be bedded-in before being used under racing conditions. Proper bedding-in will prepare the rotor surface, prolong the rotor's life and make it more resistant to thermal checking or cracking under severe braking conditions. The following procedures should be followed when bedding-in rotors:

Thoroughly inspect all brake system components before proceeding to track. Check all bolt connections, make sure mounting bolts and rotor bolts are properly lockwired, that brake pads are properly secured by retaining clips or cotter pins, that master cylinders and brake pedals are working properly, that brakes are properly bled with plenty of fluid, and that proper engagement of brakes occur when pedal is depressed.
Because the bedding process is different for rotors and pads, it is best to bed-in a new rotor (disc) using a used set of pads, preferably ones which will not create heat rapidly. Generating heat too quickly will thermal shock the rotors. Likewise, when bedding-in a new set of brake pads, use a used rotor. This new-used bedding process permits controlled bedding of each individual component.
Make sure that the rotor surfaces are free from oils, grease and brake fluid.
Close air ducts approximately 75% to expedite the bedding-in process.
Run vehicle up to moderate speed and make several medium deceleration stops to heat up the rotor slowly. This will help reduce the chance of thermal shock caused by un-even heating of the rotor.
Pull into the pits and allow the rotor to cool to ambient air temperature.
Do not hold brakes on after performing the bedding-in procedure until cooling is completed. This will avoid “hot spotting” or un-even cooling which can damage the rotor.

Diversified Cryogenics (frozen rotors) recommends 12-24 progressively harder decelerations. Do not exceed 700 deg. Cool, then repeat.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Shape of a one piece (cone) makes it more liable to crack than a two piece flat rotor. Personally I have cracked many NAPA premium rotors. Flat rotor is all in one plane unlike a cone.
Please elaborate.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Good basic intro to brake discs.

Here's how I recommend bedding in your pads/discs...shown in my C5 Z06.

Also, here's one I did on swapping from street to track pads and managing your discs.

As others have mentioned, managing your pads and discs properly can make the difference between having your brakes work well, or having vibrations, cracking, etc. In professional racing we have very strict bed-in, or burnishing, procedures depending on the specific disc and pad used. We have computer controlled machines specifically designed for this purpose. You can see one here. We burnish thousands of discs per year for race teams.

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 03-05-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors - Part 1