Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Race in SoCal- Update?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:00 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default NASA Race in SoCal- Update?

Any word on how the ex-T1 folks did out West in their newly reconfigured ST2 cars?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

We are struggling a bit with the cars to get them set-up properly. Jim's car is making good power and his is probably the best sorted right now. That and his good driving and he was able to make a charge from DFL to the front for the win. Isaac Schumacher in his very well prepped BMW was on pole and Jim was about to catch him when Isaac developed engine trouble and pulled in.

I felt like my car was handling fairly well, but I elected to just run a few laps to score a finish and pull in. We found water in my catch can, but now we are figuring the body shop power washed the engine bay and it got in through the breather filter. John is checking it out.

Bob Kahn blew a tire racing Saturday in the race and then developed a clutch problem. Chuck's car was not ready as were some of the other drivers while some others just couldn't make the race. Kyle drove great as usual, but elected to race in ST3.

I expect to see more cars at Buttonwillow in four weeks. We are getting there slowly....

How is your car doing?

Oli
Old 03-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

PS. ST2 only had six entries.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:23 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
We are struggling a bit with the cars to get them set-up properly. Jim's car is making good power and his is probably the best sorted right now. That and his good driving and he was able to make a charge from DFL to the front for the win. Isaac Schumacher in his very well prepped BMW was on pole and Jim was about to catch him when Isaac developed engine trouble and pulled in.

I felt like my car was handling fairly well, but I elected to just run a few laps to score a finish and pull in. We found water in my catch can, but now we are figuring the body shop power washed the engine bay and it got in through the breather filter. John is checking it out.

Bob Kahn blew a tire racing Saturday in the race and then developed a clutch problem. Chuck's car was not ready as were some of the other drivers while some others just couldn't make the race. Kyle drove great as usual, but elected to race in ST3.

I expect to see more cars at Buttonwillow in four weeks. We are getting there slowly....

How is your car doing?

Oli
Thanks for the update! Post pics of the updated cars!

My car is coming along- just finished-up at ECS getting 4.10 gears, Tilton Clutch, and DRM Master Cylinder with brake bias adjustment. Heading up to Phoenix to have the aero goodies installed, ballast removed, re-corner-weighted and aligned.

That's probably all I am going to do this year. Assuming I like the direction of the class and cars, more next winter.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Tway's car looks great. Mine needs a new wrap after the body work, etc.

Brinkop's car I hear is getting a new wrap and it should look great.

Oli
Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 AM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have lots of pics here:

http://www.facebook.com/jim.tway

I'll get some more posted and video up on CF in a couple days.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:07 PM
jimtway
Racer

Video is up from Sunday's race:

I missed practice and qualifying while repairing a bad brake line. I had to start from the back and play catch up to the blue M3 #99 pole sitter.

The car handled very well with all the new mods: Kognition rear wing, ACP front splitter and Pfadt sphericals and coilovers. My best lap was a 1:45.07. My Race-Keeper data predicted a fast lap of 1:44.0 could have been achieved (I only went flatout in T1/T2 one lap). This plus some more setup changes and seat time bodes well for the June race there.

Thanks to my pit crew Roy, Steve and Dad Mark. And my sponsors P.A. Construction, Alvaka Networks Inc, RPM-Motors, Race-Keeper, Run Cool and Prestige Auto Body Anaheim.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimtway
Video is up from Sunday's race:

I missed practice and qualifying while repairing a bad brake line. I had to start from the back and play catch up to the blue M3 #99 pole sitter.

The car handled very well with all the new mods: Kognition rear wing, ACP front splitter and Pfadt sphericals and coilovers. My best lap was a 1:45.07. My Race-Keeper data predicted a fast lap of 1:44.0 could have been achieved (I only went flatout in T1/T2 one lap). This plus some more setup changes and seat time bodes well for the June race there.

Thanks to my pit crew Roy, Steve and Dad Mark. And my sponsors P.A. Construction, Alvaka Networks Inc, RPM-Motors, Race-Keeper, Run Cool and Prestige Auto Body Anaheim.

You lost seven seconds of video my ***! You were just being nice and blocking out the portion of the video when you passed me.

Oli
Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

How many of you CA boys are coming to Miller for the Nationals? They are running the Outer loop a bunch so people can come in and race on that configuration before the nationals take place.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 AM
cdbmathews
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801
How many of you CA boys are coming to Miller for the Nationals? They are running the Outer loop a bunch so people can come in and race on that configuration before the nationals take place.
Definitely, what are the dates they are running the full corse?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:20 AM
jimtway
Racer

Originally Posted by z06801
I plan on attending. I hope to get out to the Utah Regional the month before. Budget and schedule will dictate that though.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:20 AM
jimtway
Racer

Originally Posted by Olitho
You lost seven seconds of video my ***! You were just being nice and blocking out the portion of the video when you passed me.

Oli
Old 03-09-2013, 01:03 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

link for Miller sched

http://nasautah.com/?page_id=10

Last edited by z06801; 03-09-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:23 PM
cdbmathews
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link. I'm shooting for both June and August.

Get notified of new replies

To NASA Race in SoCal- Update?

Quick Reply: NASA Race in SoCal- Update?