Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-bedding dedicated track rotors & pads?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Phoenix1911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re-bedding dedicated track rotors & pads?

This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway...

I bought a dedicated set of OEM rotors & Hawk HP+ pads for a HPDE weekend last year ('08 Z06). I bed said rotors & pads (and replaced brake fluid with ATE Blue) and they performed fantastically all weekend, given my current novice skill level.

I plan on doing a few more events this upcoming season, when I put my dedicated rotors and pads back on the car do I need to re-bed them??

Technically the HP+ compound should already be fused to the rotors and technically even if a padlet ends up in a different spot than last time the calipers should ensure the padlets are making maximum contact.

My street pads were never used on these rotors, only the HP+ pads. Will I have decreased braking performance on the track if I don't re-bed them prior to the HPDE event?

What do the rest of you guys do with dedicated track rotors do? I understand the issues of change pad compoundss on a set of rotors.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

2 cents is that you'll be fine.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

They are already bedded, go have fun.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:02 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The bedding process moves some of the brake pad material onto the rotors at high temps, so unless you removed the rotors and then sanded them down or cleaned them with a solvent of some sort, they are ready to go.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:40 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

It sounds like if the discs never had anything but the HP+ on them, they will be fine. In other words, if the discs sit a year without use, but still have a transfer layer of the HP+ pads on them, they should be fine. I'd go 75% speed on the first few laps at your first event, then have at it!

Please watch these videos I created...they will help you manage your pads and discs moving forward.

How to bed-in pads and discs

Swapping between street and race pads

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 03-06-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be fine ... I used to try and keep pads with same rotors same side ect and later figured out it never really mattered in my case I take them off put um in the tool box and pop um on next time at the track.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
It sounds like if the discs never had anything but the HP+ on them, they will be fine. In other words, if the discs sit a year without use, but still have a transfer layer of the HP+ pads on them, they should be fine. I'd go 75% speed on the first few laps at your first event, then have at it!

Please watch these videos I created...they will help you manage your pads and discs moving forward.

How to bed-in pads and discs

Swapping between street and race pads

Great video! You did a really good job explaining how and why.

Get notified of new replies

To Re-bedding dedicated track rotors & pads?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Re-bedding dedicated track rotors & pads?