Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for C5 experience with the APR wing

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Looking for C5 experience with the APR wing

I know there is pretty much only a handful out there that are running a C5 / APR wing combo. I installed the wing over the winter season and a splitter up front. I will most likely do a full under tray but that won't be until maybe mid season. My question is, what AOA setting do you use for the rear? If it matters, I'm running Moton coil overs, pretty stiff setting and driving on Slicks.

I know there are different settings based on certain tracks but I'm sure you all start off with a favourite setting. I run at Mosport and Watkins Glen the most, so high speed tracks where 80-150 is the norm.

From reading the APR site it looks like 0-5 degrees is a good starting number and no more than 10 degrees. It also has a disclaimer these are 3D/Clean air numbers and not real world numbers so thats why I am asking here. What are you seeing in the real world. Thanks.

Steve
Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default apr wing

Steve,

I think you will find those numbers correct. i.e. a 3d wing will not accept the angles a 2d wing will take without drag overcoming downforce. K.C. at APR has some good data on their wing.

The APR wing also seems to work more efficiently at lower heights (i.e. not needing to be above roofline). I had one on my FRC C5 for a number of years and with 3-4 in splitter and undertray the 3-7 deg range seemed to be most efficient depending on track configuration.

I did try extreme angle ie 10-12 degrees once and the difference between that and an approx. 5 deg angle indicated approx. a .5 slower lap time on a 2.2mi., 10 turn course configuration.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

The race engineer at RaceCo (who also works for a ALMS team) a track side race shop at Miller told me that me APR GT500 wing was a ornament and I should try to run without it. So one day I tried it and tried to drive at the same rate, it was terrifying could not put the power down out of corners, spinning tires and unsettled braking and it took longer to bring the tires up. It was doing a lot a couple of pics to show mounting possession. I was definitely off a few seconds without it. It's about 7* AOA

Last edited by z06801; 03-06-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J.R.
Steve,

I think you will find those numbers correct. i.e. a 3d wing will not accept the angles a 2d wing will take without drag overcoming downforce. K.C. at APR has some good data on their wing.

The APR wing also seems to work more efficiently at lower heights (i.e. not needing to be above roofline). I had one on my FRC C5 for a number of years and with 3-4 in splitter and undertray the 3-7 deg range seemed to be most efficient depending on track configuration.

I did try extreme angle ie 10-12 degrees once and the difference between that and an approx. 5 deg angle indicated approx. a .5 slower lap time on a 2.2mi., 10 turn course configuration.
Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I will most likely start at 0-5 degrees for now and maybe go up to 7 once the undertray goes on.. Thanks for the reply..

Originally Posted by z06801
The race engineer at RaceCo (who also works for a ALMS team) a track side race shop at Miller told me that me APR GT500 wing was a ornament and I should try to run without it. So one day I tried it and tried to drive at the same rate, it was terrifying could not put the power down out of corners, spinning tires and unsettled braking and it took longer to bring the tires up. It was doing a lot a couple of pics to show mounting possession. I was definitely off a few seconds without it. It's about 7* AOA ]
Also a great response because I was told recently the same thing, that it wasn't as good of a wing as others... But when I was at a NASA race at the Glen last year, every single Vette there that was running a rear wing was running an APR, so there must be some real world goodness happening

Thanks guys.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:42 AM
johns68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll echo what JR says ... 3-7 degrees seems most effective on my favorite 3 mile, horsepower track. Used with a 2" front splitter until I busted it up ... have adjusted to no front splitter, but it will be back soon, with undertray. Mine is mounted significantly lower than Z06801's is. About roof level on an frc ... maybe just a touch higher.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by johns68
I'll echo what JR says ... 3-7 degrees seems most effective on my favorite 3 mile, horsepower track. Used with a 2" front splitter until I busted it up ... have adjusted to no front splitter, but it will be back soon, with undertray. Mine is mounted significantly lower than Z06801's is. About roof level on an frc ... maybe just a touch higher.
Like a lot of things at this level of racing where I mounted mine was a guess but it seems to work well.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:10 AM
johns68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too ... but just because it does seem to work well at lower mounting heights (as JR mentioned) doesn't mean it can't work better up in cleaner air like yours.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It may not be as efficient as others, but it certainly is not an "ornament."

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for C5 experience with the APR wing

Quick Reply: Looking for C5 experience with the APR wing