Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox Sports 1 to replace SPEED Channel in August

Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 PM
RIRaven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fox Sports 1 to replace SPEED Channel in August

There are fewer and fewer opportunities to watch road racing on TV these days. Maybe this gap will be filled by a new channel like the old Speedvision.

Autoweek article link:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...n=awdailydrive
Old 03-06-2013, 08:49 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

At least I can go back to basic cable.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 PM
TRAK0UT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that blows. I was hoping for a pure motorsports channel....

There are plenty of other channels that already cover "college basketball, college football, NASCAR, soccer and UFC"

And who wants to watch an in-studio sports show hosted by Regis Philbin....wtf.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

I hope that everyone that hates all of Speed's NASCAR coverage will rest much more comfortably now that we get all of the soccer, college ball sports, and hockey that everyone's starving for.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 PM
articwhitec6
Instructor

Default no more speed

Well thats it the world must be coming to a freakin end!!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the speed is long gone from Speed. Only watched F-1 so no matter. Years ago they had many great shows like the Isle of Mann race. Now it;s all bs.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
I hope that everyone that hates all of Speed's NASCAR coverage will rest much more comfortably now that we get all of the soccer, college ball sports, and hockey that everyone's starving for.
I'm not sure why this surprises anyone. David Hobbs clearly stated that this was going to happen this year back in 2012 when Speed's "loss" of F1 was first announced (priot to the end of the F1 season!)

And the NASCAR "haters" had nothing to do with this. As we all know, Speed is now NASCAR (only) plus all sorts of looney shows like Pass Time that cost them nothing to produce. This means that Speed is not remotely living up to its potential as a profit-generating channel for FOX. What percentage of the population wants to see those shows versus the percentage that wants to see (easy and cheap to produce) college basketball? Yep.

Z//
Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

So fox bought out speed just to take its nascar contract and now were not going to have any route to watch gt?

Does anyone have the roku racing channel? Is it worth paying for?

I miss the days of wrc, f1, dtm, and speed world challenge - the only non racing shows I remember speedvision hosting were things like victory by design. ah the good old days ...
Old 03-07-2013, 11:50 AM
mgg
Instructor

I really miss speedvision : Monterey historics, Scca runoffs, Legends of motorsport, Britians festival of speed, Formula 1. Now more Boogity boogity boogity. Makes me sick to my stomach . Great now more monster jam, natonwide trash and nascar qualifying. Must be a lot more doublewides with dishes then I ever imagined. Rember the good ol days when Trans -am was actually shown, when you could find "World Challenge" races easily on speed and ALMS races where shown with full coverage. What a step backwards!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:19 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Overall, Fox Sports 1 will concentrate on Big-12, Pac-12 and Conference USA football and basketball, Major League Baseball playoff games (starting in 2014), UEFA Champions League, EUFA Europa League and CONCACAF international soccer and the UFC. It also will have a host of daily in-studio sports talk shows (one of them hosted by Regis Philbin) and a large offering of game-day NFL pre- and post-game shows.

Ok back to basic
Old 03-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mgg
I really miss speedvision : Monterey historics, Scca runoffs, Legends of motorsport, Britians festival of speed, Formula 1. Now more Boogity boogity boogity. Makes me sick to my stomach . Great now more monster jam, natonwide trash and nascar qualifying. Must be a lot more doublewides with dishes then I ever imagined. Rember the good ol days when Trans -am was actually shown, when you could find "World Challenge" races easily on speed and ALMS races where shown with full coverage. What a step backwards!
I'm guessing if the viewership were there, they'd show all of those, but economics must have spoken, and the money lies elsewhere. I can't imagine they are getting out to spite anyone.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:08 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falcon
I'm guessing if the viewership were there, they'd show all of those, but economics must have spoken, and the money lies elsewhere. I can't imagine they are getting out to spite anyone.
Probably true, but if that is the case they should never have bought Speedvision in the first place!

RIP Speed...
Old 03-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hklvette
Probably true, but if that is the case they should never have bought Speedvision in the first place!

RIP Speed...
Why? If Speed were a profitable model, FOX would have exploited it, but even with their resources they couldn't. I'd bet Speed was making little or no money, with no chance of expanding, otherwise it would have never sold.

As much as we would probably like to think motorsports is a universally liked sport, it isn't. The audience is tiny, relatively.

Sure, some big events bring big TV mainstream audiences, but they are rare. The Danica 500 this year, maybe the Indy 500, but not much else. Why hasn't another network (CBS, ABC, NBC, etc.) signed on for the Rolex 24, LeMans, Petit, Sebring? There's no audience there. Even F1 has to be shown on a minor network. Look at ALMS, ( a very sophisticated series) it has to broadcast on some obscure internet channel.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
So fox bought out speed just to take its nascar contract and now were not going to have any route to watch gt?
FOX was a part owner of Speed from the start. They bought out the other owners in order to make better use of, and expand, its NASCAR contract & offerings.

I don't pretend to know the financials underlying all of this but clearly they think there's a lot more money to be made with yet another sports channel. Just remember that every time you see one of those "brought to you by People for A Smiling Public" adverts, that's a 30 second spot that did NOT earn them any money. F1 on Speed was almost nothing BUT public service announcements and "P.I" ads ("if you're one of the first 20 people to call in the next 10 minutes...") and there's no money in that stuff.

Z//
Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Why hasn't another network (CBS, ABC, NBC, etc.) signed on for the Rolex 24, LeMans, Petit, Sebring? There's no audience there.
No audience, the events are too long for TV, and no Planned 2 min commercial breaks.

Plus Sponsorship on the Cars, and not a dollar to the network?

that just does not work for TV
Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

In Washington State, the only way I can get the speedchannel is to upgrade to HD Premium and pay 190 per mo. Last tome I watched a motor sports event, the stands were nearly empty. With so little public interest we are lucky to get any coverage.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

now I need to get NBCSN to get F-1 for half the races.

Get notified of new replies

To Fox Sports 1 to replace SPEED Channel in August

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fox Sports 1 to replace SPEED Channel in August