Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-1 reminder this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Diffey's Nascar style shouting is extremely annoying to me. He'd be a good radio announcer, but that's about it IMO.
I agree. The announcers shouldn't be that level of cheerleader. If the racing itself hasn't got me excited, no amount of exhortation by the guy on the TV is going to make up for it.

Z//
Old 03-17-2013, 01:54 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by zoxxo
i wonder what channel is going to pick up barrett-jackson?

Z//
own?

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 03-17-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
own? :d

Z//
Old 03-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I love how the race ended.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:11 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Had to go to DirectTV to get NBCSN, but I'm ready to go.

Can't wait!

Have a good one,
Mike
Watched it on Univision for FREE this morning
Old 03-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Milton Fox
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
A good and interesting race!

And I had to laugh when Diffey said that next weekend, because he will be announcing the IndyCar race, the substitute for him on the F1 broadcast will be... Bob Varsha!! Excellent!!

Z//
That is interesting! Varsha has been doing the Continental and Grand AM broadcasts - which are the ones Diffey always did. Contract requirement for Varsha?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Milton Fox
That is interesting! Varsha has been doing the Continental and Grand AM broadcasts - which are the ones Diffey always did. Contract requirement for Varsha?
Yes. Varsha had another year on his Speed contract when the other guys jumped to NBC. The more I think about it the harder it is to imagine a scenario OTHER than what appears to be happening - that Diffey is "holding place" for Varsha until Varsha's contract either expires or Speed turns him loose. (Clearly they are turning him loose to some degree for him to be subbing for Diffey in the first place.) It's hard to imagine Diffey NOT telling the NBC folks "this job should be Varsha's." To NBC's credit they have bent over backwards to not tick off the existing F1 fan base. Aside from the new set and Varsha missing, you'd hardly know that anything had changed (especially since 98% of the video comes from Bernie.)

So I've got $20 that says Varsha "replaces" Diffey next year (if not sooner since Speed is now supposed to be ending in August.) The fact that Varsha is substituting for Diffey on the F1 broadcast and not on the IndyCar broadcast is telling since clearly F1 prioritizes over IndyCar.

I wonder if Speed is going to do their round-the-clock Le Mans coverage one last time in June. I'll be sorry to see that go away.

Z//
Old 03-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Milton Fox
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

F1 in Malaysia this weekend.

Varsha is back.

Kimi is looking good.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Milton Fox
Varsha is back.
Well, Varsha is there but not back, unfortunately. It is really nice to have the whole gang together. It just feels right again. Heck, except for the studio and the "NBC" logos, you'd never know it wasn't Speed's coverage (that's a GOOD thing, NBC ) And having Posey do "F1 FAQ" videos is a great idea.

Kimi is looking good.
Not quite so good after the three spot grid penalty.

I'd love to see Massa take this one ("Massa is faster than you." )

Z//
Old 03-24-2013, 04:21 AM
DVNTST8
Le Mans Master

Location: if you have a ? on my avatar, please contact me directly, you spineless twit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Not sure where you got that idea. Last night's race was shown live. Next week's race in Malaysia is scheduled for 4 PM local Malaysia time which is 4:00 AM Eastern which is exactly what NBCSportsNet shows as the time for their race coverage.

Here's NBC's schedule:
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/ra...p?series=FORM1

And here's where you can get the actual local (race track) times and covert them to your local time:
http://www.formula1.com/default.html

See the list of races? Click on one and on the race's page - on the right - are the times and the "convert to my local time" button. Use that to compare with what NBC is telling you.

Z//
Getting broadcast times from NBCs site is dang near impossible.

Good to hear Varsha's voice. Not that Diffie's bad, he isn't.

Nice 'pit stop' by LH in the McLaren pit
Old 03-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DVNTST8
It sure is. I now just use the TIVO's schedule to figure it all out.

Diffey is fine as a race announcer -except- that his voice+accent are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. [Funny how that same accent is so endearing when it comes out of Miranda Kerr.] And Diffey lacks Varsha's understated, but so obvious, love of F1.

The front jack man realized what was happening and was out of the way while LH was still slowing down. Pretty funny.

Z//
Old 03-25-2013, 08:22 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DVNTST8

like Lewis said post-race...Button did the same thing as well when he came to McLaren.

It's pretty easy to go back on autopilot when you are under stress, and when you are familiar with a certain pit team...you can make a mistake like that.

More telling was Hamilton came in 3rd...and could have placed higher if the team had not told him to cruise home to save fuel. Mercedes is on the rise...and those who questioned Hamilton's decision to leave McLaren are left with egg on their faces.

The 2014 engine rules I'm sure had a lot to do with Lewis jumping to Mercedes, as McLaren is no longer a works team for Mercedes. They (McLaren) don't get the first line engines anymore...and are not privy to development and engineering data from Mercedes anymore, something you really need when developing a new car for a completely new engine spec.

Some interesting inter team rivalries going on this weekend...wonder how that's going to play out over the season?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
like Lewis said post-race...Button did the same thing as well when he came to McLaren.

It's pretty easy to go back on autopilot when you are under stress, and when you are familiar with a certain pit team...you can make a mistake like that.
I found it more amusing than anything, just like someone walking into their old cube 1st thing in the morning If one of my favorite drivers did the same, I'd still find it amusing. Yes, he was likely focused on many things and the crew uniforms was jsut autopilot.

More telling was Hamilton came in 3rd...and could have placed higher if the team had not told him to cruise home to save fuel. Mercedes is on the rise...and those who questioned Hamilton's decision to leave McLaren are left with egg on their faces.
Nobody can deny Lewis is quick, and Mercedes has improved However, Mercedes was looking good this time last year. We'll see where they are later in the season. It is just a little soon to say anyone will have egg on their face.

The 2014 engine rules I'm sure had a lot to do with Lewis jumping to Mercedes, as McLaren is no longer a works team for Mercedes. They (McLaren) don't get the first line engines anymore...and are not privy to development and engineering data from Mercedes anymore, something you really need when developing a new car for a completely new engine spec.

Some interesting inter team rivalries going on this weekend...wonder how that's going to play out over the season?
Works teams tend to do better after an engine rules change. Rumors are swirling McLaren may become Honda's defaco works team, a combination that has worked great in the past.

It was very interesting to see inter team rivalries. I have been somewhat surprised to see Red Bull keep Webber. I am most interested to see what happens with Vettel, how the team chemistry evolves and if he starts looking for another ride. Wouldn't surprised me to see him jump to McLaren or Ferrari.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Polo

Works teams tend to do better after an engine rules change. Rumors are swirling McLaren may become Honda's defaco works team, a combination that has worked great in the past.
IF they (Honda) are (in fact) coming back then I'd say Lewis MAY have made a mistake...but with the data he had (at the time) a move to the Mercedes works team was a better "sure thing" than a (maybe) Honda engine coming in the McLaren.

Originally Posted by 93Polo
It was very interesting to see inter team rivalries. I have been somewhat surprised to see Red Bull keep Webber. I am most interested to see what happens with Vettel, how the team chemistry evolves and if he starts looking for another ride. Wouldn't surprised me to see him jump to McLaren or Ferrari.
If Vettel jumps from Red Bull and Adrian Newey he is clearly, certifiably, crazy...he'll not find a better position than where he currently is. I would say that Webber is the one more likely to go elsewhere...team owner Dietrich Mateschitz practically worships Sebastian and gives him nearly anything he wants. Why would you go anywhere else when you have an owner who thinks you're an F1 god and have the best aero man in the business designing your cars?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

If Vettel jumps from Red Bull and Adrian Newey he is clearly, certifiably, crazy...he'll not find a better position than where he currently is. I would say that Webber is the one more likely to go elsewhere...team owner Dietrich Mateschitz practically worships Sebastian and gives him nearly anything he wants. Why would you go anywhere else when you have an owner who thinks you're an F1 god and have the best aero man in the business designing your cars?
This depends upon what things he values - both now and in the future. If all he values is winning races then you are correct. But then Vettel is a real F1 history buff and he knows that in the modern era (and in some cases earlier) the truly great drivers have won chamiponships with more than one manufacturer. Doing so greatly raises a driver's reputation in a sport where the car and the technology is such a large percentage of the equation. If Vettel wins championships ONLY in Newey cars then what percentage of the success was Vettel and what percentage the car?

Btw, Nigel Mansell won his only championship (1992) with a car that could almost literally kick the *** of the competition without a driver in it at all - the Williams FW14 - another Adrian Newey car, btw.

Hamilton finally grew into an adult and realized that he had to leave the nest and do one on his own. That will happen with Vettel, too. He has too much brain to just stay in one place forever. He'd go batty.

Z//

Last edited by Zoxxo; 04-15-2013 at 03:49 AM.

Quick Reply: F-1 reminder this weekend