Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody see this crash at Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why were you racing on track with slow cars like Miata's and legends? Strange grouping.

Maybe the vette driver slowed down too much, but yes, you are not allowed to pass under caution and everyone else should pay attention as well.

Liked how the little legends swerved out of the way of the Miata missile and the vette wrap looks good as well!

I agree with Jody if you wreck on track it is your problem, there is no fault. Sometimes someone will step up (or you can as well), but it is not required or normal.

Tim
Old 04-25-2013, 12:52 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Yep it was me. Avatar picture refreshed.
The new wrap looks GREAT tho....much better!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Cool Bill------you made the CF front page.

Now, you'll have to change the name of your race team to:

"Nearly Famous Racing"
Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I imagine the Legends car already saw the yellow and had slowed accordingly. I give kudos to the Legends driver for seeing the accident unfolding beside him and avoiding involvement.

I could not make out a yellow at the first station in the video. If none was displayed then it was clear to pass before the next station where it was displayed.

While the NASA GCR states no passing under yellow it also has rules against stopping or slowing to a near stop on course.

6.5 Stopping On Course
Stopping on course is expressly prohibited unless it is an emergency. “Stopping” includes abrupt and/or
unexpected slowing to a near stop. Stopping to help a disabled car is prohibited. An emergency, for the
purposes of this section, is defined as only those events concerning medical problems, mechanical failure, onboard
fire, or damage from an incident that renders the vehicle unfit to continue.

These are the previsions for passing before the flagging station:
25.5 Yellow Flag- Passing
A pass must be completed before the yellow flag station. This means that the overtaking driver must be
completely in front of the overtaken car before either vehicle breaks the plane perpendicular to the track as
defined by the yellow flag. Note- Drivers that attempt to “race to the yellow” to complete a pass may enter the
yellow zone too fast and not under full control; and therefore be penalized for failing to comply with the
conditions of the appropriate yellow flag rules.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

You made it to the national forums too.

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102689

Quick Reply: anybody see this crash at Thunderhill